LeleNY

Dec 1, 2015
NY
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
Big (Notorious B.I.G.)
Hey,guys!
I just want to share our recently experience with Big so other users can see this post for future references.

A week ago, Big had nose discharge for the first time.
Next day, he was supposed to be neutered.
I trust his vet a lot and during the appointment, she said it was OK to neuter him even with the discharge (probably allergies, she said).

Big was neutered and everything went sooo much better than I expected! He never tried to lick the stitches, so we only used the cone for the first hours.

But the nose discharge was getting worse.

He was on 2 medications for pain. One, super strong, gave him diarrhea.
The day after surgery, he throw up early in the morning.
Vet asked us to stop with the stronger pain med. He cried a lot on Friday morning - he was probably on pain and the breathing issues made everything worse.

We gave him Benadryl and by Friday evening, he was getting back to his old self - playful, happy.
But he had a terrible night of sleep.
Saturday he was super lethargic, but the poop was getting back to normal and the vet told us to keep the Benadryl and give her updates.
She didn't want to mix antibiotics with the pain medicine.

The lethargy, the sneezes, discharge, reverse sneezing would not go away. They were getting worse.
It was a painful weekend for us, to see him only sleeping, barely opening his eyes. Thank God he was eating and drink water just fine!

Sunday afternoon the vet decided it was time for the antibiotics, because he probably had a Upper Respiratory Infection.
(Since Benadry was not making the conditions to improve).

It was amazing to see his improvement after the first 2 doses!!! Monday evening he was playing again and today, after almost a week, I can say he's finally acting as usual - full of energy, playful, happy!
The discharge went away and he only sneezes once or twice a day.

I just wanted to say for 1st time bulldog owners (like me), that is SUPER important to call your vet on a daily basis if your dog is not well, like we did.
Benadryl didn't work, but the antibiotics were amazing. AGAIN - We only waited to give him antibiotics because he was having pain meds and we wanted to make sure it wasn't just allergies.

REGARDING THE NEUTER SURGERY - You have to trust your vet. Mine is experienced with bulldogs and very confident.
The stitches were perfect, they are healing amazing.
Big is now having some moments when he's more impatient - let's say, snaps once a day when we tell him NO (when doing something wrong).
Vet said for one month after surgery, it's normal for them to behave in a "angry" way sometimes. Hormones are trying to find a balance in his body.
So we are keeping a look on that during this month.
Big used to hump our legs all the time during the evening, showing his teeth if we said NO. After surgery, he BARELY tries to hump and on the 3 times he tried this past week, a firm NO was enough for him to back off.

Sorry for the long post! But I rely so much on this blog that I wanted to give back and share our experience!

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Thank you for the helpful post on your experiences! I am sorry that Big and you guys had to go through such a worrying time but I am so glad to hear that he is on the mend!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I'm thanking God right now that Big is doing fine
and am grateful you are sharing this with EBN. It
makes all of us better pawrents.

Please keep us updated :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great information to share..... so happy your boy is doing so well and you knew to keep your vet involved and you were on top of things with his recovery.

thanks again for sharing

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
The details you shared on Big's neuter, recovery, and bacterial infection are so helpful and informative. Thank you so much and I'm very thankful and happy to hear that Big is doing so much better now!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Thank you for sharing.Happy that all worked out well, and Big is doing well. [MENTION=15144]LeleNY[/MENTION]

OP
LeleNY

LeleNY

Dec 1, 2015
NY
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
Big (Notorious B.I.G.)
Thank you for sharing.Happy that all worked out well, and Big is doing well. [MENTION=15144]LeleNY[/MENTION]

Thank you guys, sharing is caring! @calibaker @texascarol [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]
Big is super well and we finished the antibiotics this weekend! He's back to business (zoomies involved and all lol)!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.