Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 15

Thread: Health issues

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    24
    Bulldog(s) Names
    None yet
    Likes (Received)
    26

    Default Health issues

    It's been a while since I last posted, but my bullie is now ~6 months old and here is a brief description of what occured.

    I started noticing some rash and hot spots so I assumed it was her food, since it was a lower grade food. I switched her food to a higher grade food which didn't help the rash and gave her diarrhea. Then I switched foods again to Fromm and her diarrhea went away and for a while the rash/hot spots were improving.

    One weekend the rash/hot spots got real bad and scabby and was in alot more places. I took her to the vet and she had mange...the vet said odds are her mom gave her the parasite that caused mange and most dogs immune system can fight off the parasite and it is actually a positive they have it but in rare cases the puppy immune system gets weak and the parasite grows fast and causes mange. The recommended method of treatment is to get her dipped every 2 weeks until the mange is under control. We have had 2 dips thus far, and the mange looks like it is heading in the right direction. However, my puppy HATES the dips. After she gets one she is depressed/lethargic for a day or two.

    Last week, she developed red eye, and this is where it is getting scary. Her left is eye is VERY bad and looks very painful. The vet gave me some antibiotic gel and a gel for the pain. We have been applying this for 8 days now and it is not getting better. At this point her eye is always closed and she is completely lethargic. All she wants to do is sleep and not even eat, I have to force her to eat. 2 nights ago, she even refused to sleep with us and slept on the couch by herself, this is the part that scares me. She ALWAYS wants to sleep with us, even in our bed. This morning, I noticed it is starting to spread to her other eye as well. We are going to try a different vet to get a second opinion. Her real bad eye looks very cloudy at this point, very hazy. The other eye still looks normal with redness around it (like the other eye began).

    Any recommendation? We are really worried about her, she has not been herself for a while now.

  2. #2
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,512
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6207

    Default Re: Health issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Plywood View Post
    It's been a while since I last posted, but my bullie is now ~6 months old and here is a brief description of what occured.

    I started noticing some rash and hot spots so I assumed it was her food, since it was a lower grade food. I switched her food to a higher grade food which didn't help the rash and gave her diarrhea. Then I switched foods again to Fromm and her diarrhea went away and for a while the rash/hot spots were improving.

    One weekend the rash/hot spots got real bad and scabby and was in alot more places. I took her to the vet and she had mange...the vet said odds are her mom gave her the parasite that caused mange and most dogs immune system can fight off the parasite and it is actually a positive they have it but in rare cases the puppy immune system gets weak and the parasite grows fast and causes mange. The recommended method of treatment is to get her dipped every 2 weeks until the mange is under control. We have had 2 dips thus far, and the mange looks like it is heading in the right direction. However, my puppy HATES the dips. After she gets one she is depressed/lethargic for a day or two.

    Last week, she developed red eye, and this is where it is getting scary. Her left is eye is VERY bad and looks very painful. The vet gave me some antibiotic gel and a gel for the pain. We have been applying this for 8 days now and it is not getting better. At this point her eye is always closed and she is completely lethargic. All she wants to do is sleep and not even eat, I have to force her to eat. 2 nights ago, she even refused to sleep with us and slept on the couch by herself, this is the part that scares me. She ALWAYS wants to sleep with us, even in our bed. This morning, I noticed it is starting to spread to her other eye as well. We are going to try a different vet to get a second opinion. Her real bad eye looks very cloudy at this point, very hazy. The other eye still looks normal with redness around it (like the other eye began).

    Any recommendation? We are really worried about her, she has not been herself for a while now.
    Yikes, so sorry to hear this about your baby. I agree with a second opinion, and you may even need to see a specialist if you get no where with the regular vet on the eye issue - those can go from bad to worse quick if not treated. As far as the mange goes, I know dips are an option, but they should have also given you an antibiotic for it? Tyson had demodectic mange when I got him, and it was treated with drugs, no dips.

    How are the color of her gums? They should be a nice pink color, the lethargy and different behavior is definitely a sign that something is not right. Do not ignore that, I'd get her into another vet as soon as possible.

    Where are you located? I can see if we have any member recommended bully vets in your area?

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  3. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  4. #3
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Texas Carol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    7,203
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)
    2743

    Default Re: Health issues

    Vet visit, she may be allergic to that particular antibiotic, it happens.

    Is your Vet bulldog experienced, you might want to take her in to an
    eye specialist but I'd take her to Vet that treated her first And see
    what they say. Until she's seen, I'd stop the antibiotic, poor baby ;(

    Am praying over her right now, please update us!


    My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

  5. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  6. #4
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,196
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11538

    Default Re: Health issues

    Totally agree with the gang.... get her to an eye specialist or another vet. Eyes go down hill quick....

    I also tagged Tracey.... her Wally went through the 'dips' and maybe she has some insight for you on the side effects.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  7. #5
    Newbie
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    24
    Bulldog(s) Names
    None yet
    Likes (Received)
    26

    Default Re: Health issues

    I live in Queens, NYC. I will try to get her another vet either tonight or tomorrow just to get a second opinion. I was not given any oral medicine for either the red eye or the mange. The mange is getting alot better but the eye is scaring me. She doesn't even keep the lid open. I forgot to mention, the vet said an ulcer is starting to appear on the eye as well.

  8. #6
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,512
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6207

    Default Re: Health issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Plywood View Post
    I live in Queens, NYC. I will try to get her another vet either tonight or tomorrow just to get a second opinion. I was not given any oral medicine for either the red eye or the mange. The mange is getting alot better but the eye is scaring me. She doesn't even keep the lid open. I forgot to mention, the vet said an ulcer is starting to appear on the eye as well.
    let me get you a rec - I know there are great bully vets in the city. Give me a minute to find name & contact.

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  9. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  10. #7
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,196
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11538

    Default Re: Health issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Plywood View Post
    I live in Queens, NYC. I will try to get her another vet either tonight or tomorrow just to get a second opinion. I was not given any oral medicine for either the red eye or the mange. The mange is getting alot better but the eye is scaring me. She doesn't even keep the lid open. I forgot to mention, the vet said an ulcer is starting to appear on the eye as well.

    UGH... in NYC there is a fantastic vet near there... this is the one several NYC/Jersey and LI members go to for emergencies

    Richmond Valley Animal Hospital
    Dr. Esposito
    Stanten Island, NY
    718-948-3331

    And... I've been here -- they are also really good;

    Red Bank Veterinary Hospital
    24 hour Emergency Service
    197 Hance Ave.
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    732-747-3636
    www.rbvh.net
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  11. Likes Texas Carol, TyTysmom liked this post
  12. #8
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,512
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6207

    Default Re: Health issues

    Another good one is - Alexandra Van Der Woerdt. - Animal Medical Center - E 62nd.

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  13. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  14. #9
    Newbie
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    24
    Bulldog(s) Names
    None yet
    Likes (Received)
    26

    Default Re: Health issues

    Thanks for all the help, I will see when I can get her in.

  15. Likes 2BullyMama, TyTysmom liked this post
  16. #10
    Newbie
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    24
    Bulldog(s) Names
    None yet
    Likes (Received)
    26

    Default Re: Health issues

    What a difference a few days can make, the swelling in the eye is completely gone and now the pupil is just a little cloudy, vet said nothing out of the norm for this type of infection and should clear up soon. No traces of mange, so 1 more dip to be certain and she should be parasite free.

    Her spirits are back to normal and is getting in alot of trouble once again (the way I liked it)

    thanks everyone

  17. #11
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,512
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6207

    Default Re: Health issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Plywood View Post
    What a difference a few days can make, the swelling in the eye is completely gone and now the pupil is just a little cloudy, vet said nothing out of the norm for this type of infection and should clear up soon. No traces of mange, so 1 more dip to be certain and she should be parasite free.

    Her spirits are back to normal and is getting in alot of trouble once again (the way I liked it)

    thanks everyone

    Yeay!!! So happy to hear this update

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  18. #12
    BullyWood Movie Star I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Biogirl71's Avatar
    Real Name
    Erin
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    3,615
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)
    1019

    Default Re: Health issues

    So glad to hear that she is doing much better!
    Happiness is a warm bulldog!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •