Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Tracy Edwards Thompson
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
    Likes (Received)

Default Vet wants to do surgery- need opinions please

Hello everyone! Winston's mama here. We recently took our bulldog to his vet for an ear infection. They found an eye infection as well. The thought was that he had rubbed his face against something and injured his eye, and it went from there. For 3.5 weeks we have been medicating both eyes and ears. He has responded very well and is healing.

Today was his second check up. They were a little bothered that he had NO bacteria in his ears at all. Hello? You have had us putting antibacterial medicine in them for 3 weeks?

The vet we saw today wants to do two surgeries. She is not the vet we have seen previously for these infections. One to open his ear canal and a second to remove his wrinkles to prevent further eye infections. Frankly, I feel that both surgeries are unnecessary, a way for them to make money off my dog, and that surgery would put him at unnecessary risk.

I was wondering if anyone here had experience with situations like this? I want the absolute best for my dog and in this case I do not trust the vet.

Proud Mother of Winston Biscuit since October 30, 2010.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Vet wants to do surgery- need opinions please

Trust your gut. I'm right there with you on the unnecessary - especially removing wrinkles! What the heck!? I would either stick with the vet you normally see or find another - with bulldog experience I would never put Tyson under unless it was life threatening .... He just may need more maintaining with his ears, eyes & wrinkles ... I have to clean Tysons twice a day during allergy season (which for us is now)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

3. Likes Vikinggirl liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Remove wrinkles? Can you post some pictures of your boy, please? Also, have you thought about a second opinion at a different vet office?

----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

5. Likes TyTysmom, Vikinggirl liked this post
    Real Name
    Tracy Edwards Thompson
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

It is definitely allergy season here. He is on benadryl twice a day and I am always happy to post pictures of my boy. This one is from earlier today. He isn't an overly wrinkly bully.

-20160328_162433-jpg

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy T View Post
    It is definitely allergy season here. He is on benadryl twice a day and I am always happy to post pictures of my boy. This one is from earlier today. He isn't an overly wrinkly bully.

-20160328_162433-jpg
    What a handsome boy... I do not see any reason in that photo to remove any wrinkles--- if he has issues with the eye, it could be from the lashes-- I'd bet getting a second opinion

e.

8. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member natski282's Avatar
    Real Name
    Nat
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Primrose= Rosie and Megan = Meg,
    Likes (Received)

Look for a second opinion , there might be someone in our check for a vet section here all those vets come highly recommended by Bully owners here , trust your instincts with any vet and what they say , ask questions here and other online sources be fully armed with info and questions . Hang in there and keep us up to date please .
    YOU MIGHT BE A BULLDOG IF...

...everyone else in a room with you is pinching their noses
    ...you snore like a chain saw.
    ...it takes too much energy to beg
    ...your snore is louder than your bark
    ...you have never seen your tail...what is a tail anyways?
    ...you're the loudest snorer in the house.

10. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hello everyone! Winston's mama here. We recently took our bulldog to his vet for an ear infection. They found an eye infection as well. The thought was that he had rubbed his face against something and injured his eye, and it went from there. For 3.5 weeks we have been medicating both eyes and ears. He has responded very well and is healing.

Today was his second check up. They were a little bothered that he had NO bacteria in his ears at all. Hello? You have had us putting antibacterial medicine in them for 3 weeks?

The vet we saw today wants to do two surgeries. She is not the vet we have seen previously for these infections. One to open his ear canal and a second to remove his wrinkles to prevent further eye infections. Frankly, I feel that both surgeries are unnecessary, a way for them to make money off my dog, and that surgery would put him at unnecessary risk.

I was wondering if anyone here had experience with situations like this? I want the absolute best for my dog and in this case I do not trust the vet.
    Hi Tracey, I agree with others and I would get another opinion, or ask your regular vet. I would avoid unnecessary surgeries, and think ears and wrinkles can be maintained by a regular cleaning routine. He has responded well to treatment, and you mentioned that they didn't find any bacteria in his ears at all, which means the treatment worked and the infection is gone. Keeping his ears clean using a good ear cleaner and doing it on a regular basis will help keep his ears infection free.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Remove wrinkles? Can you post some pictures of your boy, please? Also, have you thought about a second opinion at a different vet office?

Exactly my thought. If you even consider that-go get a second opinion. Are his wrinkles infected?Do you keep them clean? I've only heard of that in extreme cases.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

13. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Definitely get a second opinion

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

I wouldn't personally put them through surgery for something like that... especially if it's just a once off thing and not something permanent. I mean he's in the clear now, if it comes back he can just get treatment again... ear infections are pretty common after all, sounds a bit drastic with surgery

My rescue Joey had a really really bad ear infection when we got her, I think it even damaged her hearing (but what do I know, bulldogs listen when they want). She's been fine since, no more infections just some gunk that I wipe daily, and monthly I treat it with a ear solution to clean the ear out nicely.

Your boy is beautiful <3 Did she check for Entropion? Is that what she wants to do surgery on? It's eye lashes scratching the eye... How old is Winston?

If the first vet thought he had just damaged his eye rubbing it against something and the second one think he needs surgery something seems fishy...
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

Real Name
    Tracy Edwards Thompson
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for the compliments. Winston is a beautiful boy, inside and out! But I'm singing to the choir here.

Winnie is almost 6 years old. He has never had problems with his eyes or ears before now. The vet we took him to is the vet we have been taking him to since we brought him home. They have several doctors there and it isn't uncommon to see a different vet each time. The one wanting to do the surgery is the actual owner of the business. That's just one more reason I am suspecting this is a bid for her to make some money off of a bulldog parent because we are just made of money, right?

I do plan to take him for a second opinion. The only other vet he has seen here is at Banfield in Petsmart. I'm not sure I trust them much either. So yeah, I am going to try to find a good bulldog vet here in the forums for him.

17. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for the compliments. Winston is a beautiful boy, inside and out! But I'm singing to the choir here.

Winnie is almost 6 years old. He has never had problems with his eyes or ears before now. The vet we took him to is the vet we have been taking him to since we brought him home. They have several doctors there and it isn't uncommon to see a different vet each time. The one wanting to do the surgery is the actual owner of the business. That's just one more reason I am suspecting this is a bid for her to make some money off of a bulldog parent because we are just made of money, right?

I do plan to take him for a second opinion. The only other vet he has seen here is at Banfield in Petsmart. I'm not sure I trust them much either. So yeah, I am going to try to find a good bulldog vet here in the forums for him.
    Check our recommended vet list to see if one is near you

e.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads