General Question Vet wants to do surgery- need opinions please

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
Hello everyone! Winston's mama here. We recently took our bulldog to his vet for an ear infection. They found an eye infection as well. The thought was that he had rubbed his face against something and injured his eye, and it went from there. For 3.5 weeks we have been medicating both eyes and ears. He has responded very well and is healing.

Today was his second check up. They were a little bothered that he had NO bacteria in his ears at all. Hello? You have had us putting antibacterial medicine in them for 3 weeks?

The vet we saw today wants to do two surgeries. She is not the vet we have seen previously for these infections. One to open his ear canal and a second to remove his wrinkles to prevent further eye infections. Frankly, I feel that both surgeries are unnecessary, a way for them to make money off my dog, and that surgery would put him at unnecessary risk.

I was wondering if anyone here had experience with situations like this? I want the absolute best for my dog and in this case I do not trust the vet.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Trust your gut. I'm right there with you on the unnecessary - especially removing wrinkles! What the heck!? I would either stick with the vet you normally see or find another - with bulldog experience ;) I would never put Tyson under unless it was life threatening .... He just may need more maintaining with his ears, eyes & wrinkles ... I have to clean Tysons twice a day during allergy season (which for us is now)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Remove wrinkles? Can you post some pictures of your boy, please? Also, have you thought about a second opinion at a different vet office?

OP
Tracy T

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
It is definitely allergy season here. He is on benadryl twice a day and I am always happy to post pictures of my boy. This one is from earlier today. He isn't an overly wrinkly bully.

20160328_162433.jpg

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is definitely allergy season here. He is on benadryl twice a day and I am always happy to post pictures of my boy. This one is from earlier today. He isn't an overly wrinkly bully.

View attachment 97069

What a handsome boy... I do not see any reason in that photo to remove any wrinkles--- if he has issues with the eye, it could be from the lashes-- I'd bet getting a second opinion

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Look for a second opinion , there might be someone in our check for a vet section here all those vets come highly recommended by Bully owners here , trust your instincts with any vet and what they say , ask questions here and other online sources be fully armed with info and questions . Hang in there and keep us up to date please .

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hello everyone! Winston's mama here. We recently took our bulldog to his vet for an ear infection. They found an eye infection as well. The thought was that he had rubbed his face against something and injured his eye, and it went from there. For 3.5 weeks we have been medicating both eyes and ears. He has responded very well and is healing.

Today was his second check up. They were a little bothered that he had NO bacteria in his ears at all. Hello? You have had us putting antibacterial medicine in them for 3 weeks?

The vet we saw today wants to do two surgeries. She is not the vet we have seen previously for these infections. One to open his ear canal and a second to remove his wrinkles to prevent further eye infections. Frankly, I feel that both surgeries are unnecessary, a way for them to make money off my dog, and that surgery would put him at unnecessary risk.

I was wondering if anyone here had experience with situations like this? I want the absolute best for my dog and in this case I do not trust the vet.

Hi Tracey, I agree with others and I would get another opinion, or ask your regular vet. I would avoid unnecessary surgeries, and think ears and wrinkles can be maintained by a regular cleaning routine. He has responded well to treatment, and you mentioned that they didn't find any bacteria in his ears at all, which means the treatment worked and the infection is gone. Keeping his ears clean using a good ear cleaner and doing it on a regular basis will help keep his ears infection free.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Remove wrinkles? Can you post some pictures of your boy, please? Also, have you thought about a second opinion at a different vet office?

Exactly my thought. If you even consider that-go get a second opinion. Are his wrinkles infected?Do you keep them clean? I've only heard of that in extreme cases.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I wouldn't personally put them through surgery for something like that... especially if it's just a once off thing and not something permanent. I mean he's in the clear now, if it comes back he can just get treatment again... ear infections are pretty common after all, sounds a bit drastic with surgery:unsure:

My rescue Joey had a really really bad ear infection when we got her, I think it even damaged her hearing (but what do I know, bulldogs listen when they want;)). She's been fine since, no more infections just some gunk that I wipe daily, and monthly I treat it with a ear solution to clean the ear out nicely.

Your boy is beautiful <3 Did she check for Entropion? Is that what she wants to do surgery on? It's eye lashes scratching the eye... How old is Winston?

If the first vet thought he had just damaged his eye rubbing it against something and the second one think he needs surgery:unsure: something seems fishy...

OP
Tracy T

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for the compliments. Winston is a beautiful boy, inside and out! But I'm singing to the choir here.

Winnie is almost 6 years old. He has never had problems with his eyes or ears before now. The vet we took him to is the vet we have been taking him to since we brought him home. They have several doctors there and it isn't uncommon to see a different vet each time. The one wanting to do the surgery is the actual owner of the business. That's just one more reason I am suspecting this is a bid for her to make some money off of a bulldog parent because we are just made of money, right?

I do plan to take him for a second opinion. The only other vet he has seen here is at Banfield in Petsmart. I'm not sure I trust them much either. So yeah, I am going to try to find a good bulldog vet here in the forums for him.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for the compliments. Winston is a beautiful boy, inside and out! But I'm singing to the choir here.

Winnie is almost 6 years old. He has never had problems with his eyes or ears before now. The vet we took him to is the vet we have been taking him to since we brought him home. They have several doctors there and it isn't uncommon to see a different vet each time. The one wanting to do the surgery is the actual owner of the business. That's just one more reason I am suspecting this is a bid for her to make some money off of a bulldog parent because we are just made of money, right?

I do plan to take him for a second opinion. The only other vet he has seen here is at Banfield in Petsmart. I'm not sure I trust them much either. So yeah, I am going to try to find a good bulldog vet here in the forums for him.

Check our recommended vet list to see if one is near you

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

Do NOT go to Banfield. They should be put out of business for the amount of malpractice they have caused. I know that [MENTION=14393]Mom of Tucker[/MENTION] lives in SA - maybe she can give you her vet's info?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
here are the ones on our list in Texas.... be good if we can get one in San Antonio

~TEXAS~

Animal Health & Medical Center
Dr. Allen J. Bolt
Abilene, TX 79608
325-695-7140

Radford Hills Animal Clinic
Dr. Mark Leavell
Abilene, TX
325-672-3090

Brittmore Animal Hospital
Dr. Matt Dikeman or Dr. Kit Kampschmidt
Houston, Texas
713-468-8253

Dr. Kirk Esmond
Josey Ranch Pet Hospital
2150 North Josey Lane, Ste 106
Carrollton, Texas 75006

Critter Care Animal Hospital
Amna Plummer, DVM
13040 Dairy Ashford
Sugar Land, TX 77478
281-494-7700
www.crittercareonline.com

Dr. Scot Sunbury
Sunbury Vet Clinic
12407 North Mopac Expressway , Ste. 400
Austin, TX 78758
512-255-8387

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
[MENTION=7307]Tracy T[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION], DO NOT USE Dr. Sunbury at Sunbury Vet Clinic in Austin! The lady I got Sophie from used to work for him, and she has horror stories about how he treats pets.

Good news though! I do know of a vet who I trust in San Antonio and who has spayed Sophie, neutered Tucker and removed his cherry eye. His name is Dr. Jim Young. He has a website: BULLDOG Marbach Road Animal Hospital 78227 Veterinarian San Antonio 78245 78253 78254 78250.

He is on the south side of San Antonio, which is not convenient for me, and I am looking for a routine vet closer to home.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.