Help Needed! Huge Rash/Bump appeared!!!

michaelsbroly

Nov 20, 2015
Hempstead, Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Broly
We just noticed this huge rash/bump/wart i have no idea what it is it just looks soo bad. we think its a ring worm, but we are not sure. it would be great if could get some help identifying what this is so i can start treatment right away. I tried looking up some of the forums and i saw that [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] you have dealt with ringworms. if you could please help me identify what it is i would greatly appreciate it.
the area is rised, looks very dry, kind of as it it was a huge flat wart with the same texture bumpy.
This is a side view of his rear leg, i don't know if you can tell his hairs on his coat are raised you can tell something is there underneath,

IMAG0276.jpg

IMAG0280.jpg

This is a top view it is very dry, bumpy, and hard.

IMAG0282.jpg

i know these pictures are not very good i will try to upload some better ones in a few hours, i just hope i can get an idea or what I'm dealing with..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The third picture looks like it might be moist.... no?

How old is Broly?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=15100]michaelsbroly[/MENTION] Ringworm is actually a fungus. It is usually a round patch( with a red ring around it("the ring") The middle is dry and flaky. You need to shave the area,and if it is ringworm-it is contagious-so wear surgical gloves. Wash the area with Betadine shampoo.You can put Tinactin (for athlete's foot) on it once it is dry. In the beginning Ringwoorm and Demodec look similar. You might rather go to the vet, and have him check for mites-if it is mange,it will get alot worse Demodec is more common in dogs under a year old-I don't know how old Broly is.You can try the tinactin-but if you see other spots=go to the vet.

OP
michaelsbroly

michaelsbroly

Nov 20, 2015
Hempstead, Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Broly
Broly turned 6 months 4 days ago and is around 45 pounds. The third picture is moist we rubbed some ACV on it to see if it would help. I'll add some more pics in a couple hours. But it's really dry and hard to the touch

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Broly turned 6 months 4 days ago and is around 45 pounds. The third picture is moist we rubbed some ACV on it to see if it would help. I'll add some more pics in a couple hours. But it's really dry and hard to the touch

Is it kind scabby, can you pull any of it off, or does hair fall out when you touch it? Could also be staph infection - secondary to allergies.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Yes it feels like a big thick hard scab.

Based on the photo, and you saying its scabby, my best guess is Staph infection. They are circular patches that get scabbed over, eventually the scab will fall off and it will leave a patch of missing fur. The fur will grow back, but its a secondary reaction to some sort of allergin. Tyson gets them occasionally. As far as treatment goes, I would just clean with witch hazel, and watch for the scab to fall off. Once the scab falls off like I said there will be a missing patch of fur, and it will likely be redish/pink - I just use neosporin afterwards for a few days til' it heals up, and the fur will slowly grow back. Also, don't be alarmed if they spread, they will pop up generally on the rear area, legs, and or butt / thigh area. They can be small, or large. If its the only one you see it could just be environmental since the weather's changing here in TX. I know for a fact Tyson is a hot mess now due to all the pollen! Its everywhere!!! I've had him on benadryl for the past 3 days, poor boy is all itchy. :(

They are easy to miss too bc they blend in so well, until the scab comes off. Run your fingers all around, and you will feel bumps if he has any others.

OP
michaelsbroly

michaelsbroly

Nov 20, 2015
Hempstead, Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Broly
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]
uploadfromtaptalk1459194787556.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1459194813725.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1459194852203.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1459194877326.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1459194901858.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1459194979714.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1459194996097.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1459195016700.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1459195040624.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1459195070699.jpg

OP
michaelsbroly

michaelsbroly

Nov 20, 2015
Hempstead, Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Broly
Sorry for the over load on pictures I would just like to get to the bottom so we could treat it today. We really don't want it to get worse. Thank you again for all of your input.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
I am leaning toward demodex,or staph. Number 8 looks like it could be ringworm, but no so much in the others. It's so hard to tell in photos. His hair looks quite dry/brittle-do you give him NuVet Plus, or a skin supplement. If you can get a vet appt. take him in for a scraping.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am leaning toward demodex,or staph. Number 8 looks like it could be ringworm, but no so much in the others. It's so hard to tell in photos. His hair looks quite dry/brittle-do you give him NuVet Plus, or a skin supplement. If you can get a vet appt. take him in for a scraping.

Agree -- I'm thinking mange (demodex) cause staph usually is not that big of a spot... they tend to be smaller, but we are not vets, just going by experience. best to have a skin scrape done to rule out the mange and treat what it is.

OP
michaelsbroly

michaelsbroly

Nov 20, 2015
Hempstead, Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Broly
Thank you guys for all the input, guys I'm taking your advice and taking him to the vet tomorrow afternoon. We are just worried that they might want to give him prescription treatment that might be too harsh on him since he si still little and it's only been about a month since he last had a steroid shot and antibiotics for an infection that was developing Into pneumonia. We were actually thinking about buying a treatment called "Lime Sulfer Dip". But it would be useless if we are not sure what we are dealing with. [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] we currently don't give Broly any skin supplements like the ones you mentioned. We only feed him about a teaspoon of coconut oil a day. Do you recommend I start him on one?

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Many on this site (myself included) use NuVet, it really works wonders on their coats. I'm sorry I don't have experience with this but I hope your baby is feeling better soon!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=15100]michaelsbroly[/MENTION] Starting him on NuvetPlus, and giving him a tsp. working up to a tablespoon of plain active culture yogurt would help his skin and immune system,too.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.