Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I haven't been on much this past week dealing with Chumleys rear leg issue. All of a sudden he couldn't put any weight on it last Tuesday. He's limped before and I'd wait a few days before taking him to vet and it always seemed to get better within 3 days or so. This time looked different because he wouldn't even walk on it so I made an immediate appointment and took him in. It's the weirdest thing, chum is the calmest, mild tempered dog. Kids play with him all day and he never so much as growls or reacts in even the slightest aggressive manner. Once he gets to the vet he turns into Cujo. The vet has labeled him as aggressive despite my claims he's not...he had to be muzzled for the exam. The vet gave him an antiinflammatory shot and some rimadyl and said it should improve in a few days. Two days later it wasnt any better so I had to leave him for the day because he had to put him under anesthesia for the X-rays. I was really hesitant became I am deathly afraid to put him under after hearing first hand horror stories of some members here (@ddnene and poor Winston especially) He couldn't X-ray otherwise so I agreed..When I picked him up vet said there was no breaks or anything and still thought a few more days rest would do the trick ...he also said he has severe hip dysplasia and a enlarged prostrate..issues I guess we'll deal with in the future but not what's causing the problem at hand. Anyway, I put a groggy chum in the car and 5 minutes into the ride home he starts wheezing, gasping for air, and making these raspy sounds from his throat I never heard before. I called the vat and he said come back immediately. Unfortunately I was stuck in rush hour traffic and thinking he was going to die right there in the car! I raced back. Cutting people off, exiting an entrance ramp on the expressway, and going thorough red lights and must have pissed off about a hundred other drivers! Once back at the vet he calms down, vet takes his temp and says he's fine , says the raspiness was from the anesthesia tube. I look like the paranoid dog owner and leave again.
Here we are 3 days later and still no sign of improvement. He's been on rimadyl 5 days now and still won't put weight on his leg...I'm guessing an mri is next although the vet said he didn't think it was a meniscus or acl problem when he manipulated the leg...hopefully i get some answers this week. I keep hoping I'll wake up in the morning and hell be fine. Just a slight improvement would be nice to see.
Sorry for the rant, just wanted to fill everybody in. Nobody understands what it's like going through these things like EBN members!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Sorry to hear this, how awful. I would have panicked too! When we started Tyson on Rimadyl it took about 10-12 days before we noticed improvement. Curious though, why did he have to be put under for X-rays? Bc he acts out? Tyson fought them with not wanting to lay down, but finally gave in and they xrayed him. That's how we saw that he had arthritis. Do you have Chum on joint supps? We also do 900mg of Tumeric pill form per day. Hoping he's feeling better in the morning! Thank God everything turned out okay with his breathing! We almost lost Tyson too after his neuter :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Nothing worse than our babies having any sort of problem
except, not knowing what's wrong so we can fix it.

When Cami was limping so terribly, it took awhile of complete rest
and a long time before she walked normally. I only let her potty & eat,
otherwise I crated her! The meds seem to work slowly too.

A member recommended Golden Paste (turmeric mix) to give Chum,
I so agree with this method and getting ingredients now for my pain
and Cami's arthritis too. Been reading up on this & very impressed
with people's experiences & testimonials.

I send loving hugs to y'all & prayers that healing kicks in & Chumley
gets back to his wonderful self asap!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Omg Jim- how scary!! I hope he DOES get better!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Odd, My sister's poodle just had the exact same issue as Chum but her dog ended up having no joint of the leg that was attached to the hip. Like the round ball part. He had surgery 2 months or so ago and still wouldn't put his foot down. Vet told her to attach an eraser to the foot so its leveled. All this to say was a joint issue with the hip. Not sure if that's what Chum has but heh, you never know. Cod Liver Oil is also a great for arthritis and RA. :)

OP
Opie CHL

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Sorry to hear this, how awful. I would have panicked too! When we started Tyson on Rimadyl it took about 10-12 days before we noticed improvement. Curious though, why did he have to be put under for X-rays? Bc he acts out? Tyson fought them with not wanting to lay down, but finally gave in and they xrayed him. That's how we saw that he had arthritis. Do you have Chum on joint supps? We also do 900mg of Tumeric pill form per day. Hoping he's feeling better in the morning! Thank God everything turned out okay with his breathing! We almost lost Tyson too after his neuter :(

I asked why too and he said it's necessary because they won't stay still enough but he growled and snapped at the vet tech as she put him on the table. I think the vet has him as aggressive in his chart. last year I brought Hershey in to the same vet for a limp and he was x rayed without being put under. I should have pushed for him to attempt it without it but that ship has sailed..Tyson didn't improve for 12 days? He only gave me a 5 day supply of rimadyl. I'll get more Monday but I wonder why so little. I had both dogs on nujoijnt plus but took chumley off because he got tear stains and itchiness...ill start him up on something..so many suggestions on what people use I haven't decided yet.

OP
Opie CHL

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Odd, My sister's poodle just had the exact same issue as Chum but her dog ended up having no joint of the leg that was attached to the hip. Like the round ball part. He had surgery 2 months or so ago and still wouldn't put his foot down. Vet told her to attach an eraser to the foot so its leveled. All this to say was a joint issue with the hip. Not sure if that's what Chum has but heh, you never know. Cod Liver Oil is also a great for arthritis and RA. :)
Wow that's interesting! I don't think that's chums issue I would think the X-ray would've showed something as serious as that. I do think it's more hip related by the way he's walking though...

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I asked why too and he said it's necessary because they won't stay still enough but he growled and snapped at the vet tech as she put him on the table. I think the vet has him as aggressive in his chart. last year I brought Hershey in to the same vet for a limp and he was x rayed without being put under. I should have pushed for him to attempt it without it but that ship has sailed..Tyson didn't improve for 12 days? He only gave me a 5 day supply of rimadyl. I'll get more Monday but I wonder why so little. I had both dogs on nujoijnt plus but took chumley off because he got tear stains and itchiness...ill start him up on something..so many suggestions on what people use I haven't decided yet.

Must have been due to his behavior then ;)
Tyson acted out too a bit, but eventually gave up, lol.
Yeah it wasn't til around day 10ish for us. After that we started to see very noticeable improvements - now he has no issues getting up & he's gotten his pep back in our walks. Yeah the 5 day is usually the trial sample. Tyson took the full dosage (2 a day) for the first 2 weeks, then I cut him down to one pill a day; and he's maintained well.

I'd ask for more personally esp if he's still putting no weight on it. We currently have Tyson on Consequin DS, and if Chum will eat it, I'd get him some tumeric. We just put it in Tysons food and he eats it. It's all natural & great for the joints, inflammation, etc. if you get some get it from a reputable vitamin shop, you will pay more but the potency is very different. We also started laser therapy which has been great. Did the vet note any arthritis??

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sending prayers and best wishes to poor Chumley. Hope he feels better soon.:pray: [MENTION=7260]Chumley[/MENTION]

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I am so sorry to hear you are going through so much right now. What a scary situation in the car! We would have done the same thing...in fact we did when Frank aspirated two years ago - my husband drove like a mad man to the emergency vets but with how serious it was, it might have helped save Frank's life.

I hope the meds help Chumley and you start seeing improvement soon. We are sending positive thoughts your way.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Damn Jim.... I hope you find out what is going on soon and that Chum starts to feel better.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
That is scary but luckily turned out OK with the breathing, I hope they get the leg sorted poor Chumley.
The vets have FTSE down as aggressive much to my annoyance as he is not only there since his eye op.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Good lord... What a week! X-rays, depending on the dog will require some type of sedation because they need them to stay still and possibly in a certain position.

Tear stains on NuJoint... :ponder: wonder if that is part of Lambeaus issue. However, being allergic to most things 'green' in the yard could be the bigger issue.

Lots of positive thoughts to Chumley--- praying it all heals up

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Wow that's interesting! I don't think that's chums issue I would think the X-ray would've showed something as serious as that. I do think it's more hip related by the way he's walking though...

Sounded like it but true xrays would show something. I missed something in one of your paragraph as I went back up to re-read it. My bad.

Days I wish they can talk.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online