Real Name
    Jim B.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chumley and Hershey
    Likes (Received)

Default Chums walking woes..

I haven't been on much this past week dealing with Chumleys rear leg issue. All of a sudden he couldn't put any weight on it last Tuesday. He's limped before and I'd wait a few days before taking him to vet and it always seemed to get better within 3 days or so. This time looked different because he wouldn't even walk on it so I made an immediate appointment and took him in. It's the weirdest thing, chum is the calmest, mild tempered dog. Kids play with him all day and he never so much as growls or reacts in even the slightest aggressive manner. Once he gets to the vet he turns into Cujo. The vet has labeled him as aggressive despite my claims he's not...he had to be muzzled for the exam. The vet gave him an antiinflammatory shot and some rimadyl and said it should improve in a few days. Two days later it wasnt any better so I had to leave him for the day because he had to put him under anesthesia for the X-rays. I was really hesitant became I am deathly afraid to put him under after hearing first hand horror stories of some members here (@ddnene and poor Winston especially) He couldn't X-ray otherwise so I agreed..When I picked him up vet said there was no breaks or anything and still thought a few more days rest would do the trick ...he also said he has severe hip dysplasia and a enlarged prostrate..issues I guess we'll deal with in the future but not what's causing the problem at hand. Anyway, I put a groggy chum in the car and 5 minutes into the ride home he starts wheezing, gasping for air, and making these raspy sounds from his throat I never heard before. I called the vat and he said come back immediately. Unfortunately I was stuck in rush hour traffic and thinking he was going to die right there in the car! I raced back. Cutting people off, exiting an entrance ramp on the expressway, and going thorough red lights and must have pissed off about a hundred other drivers! Once back at the vet he calms down, vet takes his temp and says he's fine , says the raspiness was from the anesthesia tube. I look like the paranoid dog owner and leave again.
    Here we are 3 days later and still no sign of improvement. He's been on rimadyl 5 days now and still won't put weight on his leg...I'm guessing an mri is next although the vet said he didn't think it was a meniscus or acl problem when he manipulated the leg...hopefully i get some answers this week. I keep hoping I'll wake up in the morning and hell be fine. Just a slight improvement would be nice to see.
    Sorry for the rant, just wanted to fill everybody in. Nobody understands what it's like going through these things like EBN members!

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Chums walking woes..

Sorry to hear this, how awful. I would have panicked too! When we started Tyson on Rimadyl it took about 10-12 days before we noticed improvement. Curious though, why did he have to be put under for X-rays? Bc he acts out? Tyson fought them with not wanting to lay down, but finally gave in and they xrayed him. That's how we saw that he had arthritis. Do you have Chum on joint supps? We also do 900mg of Tumeric pill form per day. Hoping he's feeling better in the morning! Thank God everything turned out okay with his breathing! We almost lost Tyson too after his neuter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

3. Likes Texas Carol, 2BullyMama, Chumley liked this post
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Nothing worse than our babies having any sort of problem
    except, not knowing what's wrong so we can fix it.

When Cami was limping so terribly, it took awhile of complete rest
    and a long time before she walked normally. I only let her potty & eat,
    otherwise I crated her! The meds seem to work slowly too.

A member recommended Golden Paste (turmeric mix) to give Chum,
    I so agree with this method and getting ingredients now for my pain
    and Cami's arthritis too. Been reading up on this & very impressed
    with people's experiences & testimonials.

I send loving hugs to y'all & prayers that healing kicks in & Chumley
    gets back to his wonderful self asap!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

5. Likes Chumley, 2BullyMama, kymadmom liked this post
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Omg Jim- how scary!! I hope he DOES get better!

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

7. Likes Chumley liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

Odd, My sister's poodle just had the exact same issue as Chum but her dog ended up having no joint of the leg that was attached to the hip. Like the round ball part. He had surgery 2 months or so ago and still wouldn't put his foot down. Vet told her to attach an eraser to the foot so its leveled. All this to say was a joint issue with the hip. Not sure if that's what Chum has but heh, you never know. Cod Liver Oil is also a great for arthritis and RA.

9. Likes Chumley liked this post
    Harvey's Executive Assistant Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harvey Specter
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

just hoping you discern this and Chumley is back to his old self. Good luck.
    Hug your bully today

11. Likes Chumley liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jim B.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chumley and Hershey
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    Sorry to hear this, how awful. I would have panicked too! When we started Tyson on Rimadyl it took about 10-12 days before we noticed improvement. Curious though, why did he have to be put under for X-rays? Bc he acts out? Tyson fought them with not wanting to lay down, but finally gave in and they xrayed him. That's how we saw that he had arthritis. Do you have Chum on joint supps? We also do 900mg of Tumeric pill form per day. Hoping he's feeling better in the morning! Thank God everything turned out okay with his breathing! We almost lost Tyson too after his neuter

I asked why too and he said it's necessary because they won't stay still enough but he growled and snapped at the vet tech as she put him on the table. I think the vet has him as aggressive in his chart. last year I brought Hershey in to the same vet for a limp and he was x rayed without being put under. I should have pushed for him to attempt it without it but that ship has sailed..Tyson didn't improve for 12 days? He only gave me a 5 day supply of rimadyl. I'll get more Monday but I wonder why so little. I had both dogs on nujoijnt plus but took chumley off because he got tear stains and itchiness...ill start him up on something..so many suggestions on what people use I haven't decided yet.

13. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jim B.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chumley and Hershey
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    Odd, My sister's poodle just had the exact same issue as Chum but her dog ended up having no joint of the leg that was attached to the hip. Like the round ball part. He had surgery 2 months or so ago and still wouldn't put his foot down. Vet told her to attach an eraser to the foot so its leveled. All this to say was a joint issue with the hip. Not sure if that's what Chum has but heh, you never know. Cod Liver Oil is also a great for arthritis and RA.
    Wow that's interesting! I don't think that's chums issue I would think the X-ray would've showed something as serious as that. I do think it's more hip related by the way he's walking though...

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Default Chums walking woes..

Quote Originally Posted by Chumley View Post
    I asked why too and he said it's necessary because they won't stay still enough but he growled and snapped at the vet tech as she put him on the table. I think the vet has him as aggressive in his chart. last year I brought Hershey in to the same vet for a limp and he was x rayed without being put under. I should have pushed for him to attempt it without it but that ship has sailed..Tyson didn't improve for 12 days? He only gave me a 5 day supply of rimadyl. I'll get more Monday but I wonder why so little. I had both dogs on nujoijnt plus but took chumley off because he got tear stains and itchiness...ill start him up on something..so many suggestions on what people use I haven't decided yet.
    Must have been due to his behavior then
    Tyson acted out too a bit, but eventually gave up, lol.
    Yeah it wasn't til around day 10ish for us. After that we started to see very noticeable improvements - now he has no issues getting up & he's gotten his pep back in our walks. Yeah the 5 day is usually the trial sample. Tyson took the full dosage (2 a day) for the first 2 weeks, then I cut him down to one pill a day; and he's maintained well.

I'd ask for more personally esp if he's still putting no weight on it. We currently have Tyson on Consequin DS, and if Chum will eat it, I'd get him some tumeric. We just put it in Tysons food and he eats it. It's all natural & great for the joints, inflammation, etc. if you get some get it from a reputable vitamin shop, you will pay more but the potency is very different. We also started laser therapy which has been great. Did the vet note any arthritis??

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

16. Likes 2BullyMama, Chumley liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Sending prayers and best wishes to poor Chumley. Hope he feels better soon. @Chumley
    "
    It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

18. Likes Chumley liked this post
    BullyWood Movie Star I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Erin
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)

I am so sorry to hear you are going through so much right now. What a scary situation in the car! We would have done the same thing...in fact we did when Frank aspirated two years ago - my husband drove like a mad man to the emergency vets but with how serious it was, it might have helped save Frank's life.

I hope the meds help Chumley and you start seeing improvement soon. We are sending positive thoughts your way.
    Happiness is a warm bulldog!

20. Likes Chumley liked this post
    The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Damn Jim.... I hope you find out what is going on soon and that Chum starts to feel better.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

22. Likes Chumley liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads