Post-op complications after Beefs soft palate surgery..

OP
D

Dfestaiuti

Dec 1, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Beef (aka "the beast")
Sorry I don't know how to respond directly to someone's question--- [MENTION=7260]Chumley[/MENTION], I don't think it was caused by the nares or the anesthesia. He recovered well from the anesthesia and was extubated with no issues and awake. He came home slightly drowsy which they said was expected and the next morning he was much more awake. Then he just started throwing up blood out of no where and when they performed emergency surgery because it turned into a full blown hemorrhage situation, the surgeon said there was no open areas of active bleeding and he was just bleeding from the soft palate being so inflamed swollen and irritated. That was the main issue.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Omg just reading this and how scary this must have been for you and Beefs! I'm so glad he's doing better now! Hope he's better tomorrow so he can come home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Thankful that you have a really good Dr.,who knew what to do right away. Prayers that Beef continues improving and has a less eventful recovery. GOD Bless that sweet little fella'.:pray:

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
God Bless You Beefy, I Will Pray for You Sweetie to make a Full Recovery and Start Being Your Wonderful Self. You can Fight, You Are Strong Sweet Beefy.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Oh dear, only reading this now. I'm so glad the vets were able to help him and that he will be able to go home soon. Beef is in our thoughts and we wish hime a speedy recovery!

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
This is why I was so grateful our vet took Mabel home with him after her surgery 3 years ago. We live an hour away from an emergency vet. I would have never forgiven myself if this had happened and we couldn't have gotten her help. Thank goodness he is on the mend and they're watching him closely.

OP
D

Dfestaiuti

Dec 1, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Beef (aka "the beast")
Update: Beef has made almost a full recovery!!!!! He's finally home with us, sleeping on the kitchen floor right now. I just picked him up and brought him home. He is such a strong pup...he went through SO MUCH these last few days and pulled through like a fighter. The vet said this was a miracle and that in all her years of veterinary medicine, she has never sent a dog home who had a cardiac arrest event. I'm so so so thankful and grateful for the man upstairs and for all of the love and support beef and I have received. He's doing so much better, his breathing is quieter and very minimal snoring!! Gums and tounge are nice and pink, and he seems very comfortable. we also got sent home with anti nausea medication and 2 different antibiotics for the aspiration pnuemonia. Thank you all again for everything, we are very grateful <3

penguinspam

Feb 13, 2016
Poole, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Betty
Ugh, so sorry this happened to your poor Beefy, how terrifying! Glad to hear things are improving! Sending good vibes your way for a continued recovery! xx

OP
D

Dfestaiuti

Dec 1, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Beef (aka "the beast")
We had a great night, very uneventful. My boyfriend slept out on the couch last night with beef on the living room floor. He's been very quiet and calm since bringing him home. He seems traumatized...like every little noise makes him jumpy. He also seems kinda mad at us and not very excited about anything....which I totally do not blame him for. He's been through a lot and I think he remembers a lot of if to be honest. But the breathing is great, gums and tounge are pink, and only 1 episode of vomiting (white phlegm, no blood!) this morning after breakfast. He's doing wonderful.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Doubled my prayers for you and Beef , My word you get some sleep we do not need you sick too ok
Glad he is home he will heal faster and be with you the angle of his life will keep his spirits up to heal faster

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
So glad he is ok! What a horrible experience. I'm sure he will get over it soon, it's still fresh in his mind.. a little extra loving and he will forget all about it.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Thank GOD and your vet, and Beef's determination to live, that he has made it through this.
You are lucky to have such a good Dr. Beef must be just exhausted with all he had gone through. It is good that he is resting,and can regroup his strength! God bless you all,you have been through alot,and he made it!!!:up::clap::victory:

OP
D

Dfestaiuti

Dec 1, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Beef (aka "the beast")
IMG_8248.JPG

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts