Post-op complications after Beefs soft palate surgery..

Dfestaiuti

Dec 1, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Beef (aka "the beast")
So these past 24 hours have been the worst of my life. Beefs soft palate surgery, nares widening and neuter was Wednesday morning. We took beef home Thursday around 4pm. He was doing a lot of gaging/retching and threw up a few piles of white phlegm/foam. Everything seemed fine and we all went to bed. I woke up at 6am to him retching/gagging in his cage...I went to get him and there was a pile of the white vomit again. I let him out and he did it a few more times. Then the doorbell rang and he barked a bunch of times which I know was not good for his throat. Long story short, he began vomiting blood. I rushed him back to the vet (a half hour away with lots of piles of blood in my backseat)...they rushed him back and he vomited blood again and aspirated it....turned blue, stopped breathing, collapsed, and they lost a pulse. They performed CPR, have gave him epinephrine and atropine and his heart restarted within 1 minute. They auctioned and intubated him and rushed him back for emergency surgery because he was hemorrhaging from his throat. When they got down his throat there were absolutly no open areas where he was actively bleeding from. They used a laser to sort of cauterize the area. It took him 3 hours to wake up and be extubated and now he is very stable, breathing well, and the bleeding has stopped. Basically they said the area was so irritated/inflamed/swollen from all the gaging and barking he was doing that it just bled.... It's been 24 hours since that all happened, he's still in the "ICU" at the vet being watched at all times but he is currently stable, doing much much better. He's on anti nausea meds, pain meds, a GI protectant, antibiotics from the aspiration pneumonia and a mild sedative to keep him calm so that throat can rest and heel. He's probabily going to spend 1 or 2 more nights there but the doctor said things are looking good. Just wanted to keep you all updated on what happened because I know you all prayed for him...which is probabily part of the reason he's still with us today. Keep us in your thoughts during this recovery period.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My GOD.... Sending prayers and hugs to you all. I hope he continues to improve and is back home with you soon.

Try to get some sleep... If it were me I'd be a basket case and not sleeping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Oh my god! I can only imagine the state of panic you are in through all these. Here's hoping for a speedy and steady recovery for your boy. My heart was racing when i was reading your story. Please give your little strong fighter a big hug for me.

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Bless your heart!!! Sending prayers for a swift recovery and no more complications for Beef!! Also praying for a swift recover for U! I'm pretty sure you've been mildly traumatized- lol.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I just wish I was there to put my arms around you and let you cry out
the horror of it all...I'm crying...poor Beefy and poor you!

What a miracle they brought him back and especially, got that bleeding
stopped! I believe in the POWER of prayer and I believe all these good
people harnessed that power and God had mercy on y'all...Wow!

Hoping you can relax enough to rest...it seems God has got y'all covered.

Pennyblossom

Mar 4, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny and Bristol
Oh my word. How scary. Sending lots of prayers. My little one is supposed to get this done in two weeks and I am petrified. I hope Beef continues to improve and can come home soon

Paulita89

Aug 17, 2015
Orlando, Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Greco
Hugs for you and beef. Hope he continues to recover and can be home with you soon

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Oh my heart Im sorry to hear this but thank God he's okay! And thank God for the quick action on the doctors part. I will be praying for Beefy, poor sweet boy. He will get through this! Keep us posted....

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
OMG!! Hugs and many prayers!! from me and Ellie!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Oh I am so so sorry that happened to Beefy! Poor guy and poor you! I am sending positive thoughts and prayers that he gets through this. It sounds like he is in good hands.

OP
D

Dfestaiuti

Dec 1, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Beef (aka "the beast")
Thank you everyone. I went to see him again today, and he's doing much better. He's still in the ICU area so he can be closely monitored, and is getting iv fluids and some other meds like a mild sedative and whatnot. He's stable, gums and tounge are pink and the bleeding has stopped. He ate a little soft food for them around 4 and again around 8pm which the vet said was a huge step in the right direction that he has an appetite back. He also went outside to pee a few times. He's on the mend and the doc says if all stays the same he may be able to come home tomorrow night or Monday morning. Thank you all for the prayers and positive vibes, I have a very strong bully whos time is not up yet!

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
so sorry to hear. many prayers, good thoughts and blessings from St Francis guardian of animals.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Oh my god that sounds absolutely horrible. Praying he'll be ok...Was all of that from the nare surgery or just from him being put under anesthesia? I have my own horror story a few hours after chumley came out of anesthesia but not as bad as yours! He wretched and wheezed and gasped for air but it didn't end up as bad as Beefs has. Hoping he's home with you soon and back to his old self! I bet you needed a drink after that stress!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Huge thanks that you posted and eased our worry for Beefy.

And you sound better too, just so very glad that he's up &
eating and most of all, no more bleeding!

What a fierce fighter you have there, good on you, Beefy!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.