Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
So, Frith woke up with coughing, hacking, frothy mucus again (Friday). She had finished the antibiotics, but the vet said to watch for signs of the aspiration pneumonia coming back (side effect of megaE), since this is the second bout, and was more wide spread. Sure enough it came back, and I was off to the vet to get more antibiotics (in a minor ice-storm of course). We spent most of Friday in the bathroom (makeshift steam room) so she could breath. She wouldn't eat, drink, or move. I was putting her food away for the umpteenth time, and there was the honey on the counter--I swear it was shouting at me.

So, I take it to Frith, put some on my finger, and she licks it--she wants more. About a teaspoon of honey later, and she is no longer looking like she has three paws through death's door. As an after thought--I run to the computer to find if honey is poisonous to dogs (probably should have done that first), but instead found this--honey is a cure-all:

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/10_9/features/Bee-Honey-Products-Help-Canines_15967-1.html

By the time I am done with my online searching and reading (ten minutes maybe) she is hungry, thirsty and is more relaxed about breathing. I got almost a can of food down her, before she was tired again. Today, you can not tell that she looked like death warmed over less than twelve hours ago.

Anyone else have experiences with EBDs and honey?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have used honey with weak new born pups, and a diabetic dog(low sugar) Honey is a miracle food. The best honey to use is LOCAL honey.

jdeveaux

Bully Buttler
Jan 12, 2016
Sugar Land, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jupiter
We use honey for our diabetic dog when she is run down or shaking it snaps her back to normal every time but be careful; as with all things use it in moderation.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Had no idea.... Wow! Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.