CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
[MENTION=9956]nubonics[/MENTION] I'm curious...do you know how allergies relate to it?

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
[MENTION=14810]CCandMurray[/MENTION] my Frenchie mix is allergic to everything under the sun (had allergy tests done). When his allergies are acting up his eyes will get itchy + watery and he will rub them with his paws and on the ground to no end. Then the cherry eye will pop out and I guess because of all the allergy irritation it won't go back in until his allergy meds kick in.

The cherry eye wasn't caused by his allergies, just to be clear. He had this even before his allergies became apparent. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Murray's cherry eye (the left eye, his right that was operated on looks perfect with no issues) has been out for two days now :( I have tried to massage it back in but was not successful

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Murray's cherry eye (the left eye, his right that was operated on looks perfect with no issues) has been out for two days now :( I have tried to massage it back in but was not successful

CRAP!

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I know :( I'm going to call the vet on Monday to get a quote and make a plan for surgery :(

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
It actually isn't a cherry eye until it gets infected. It's just a lacrimal gland popping out and it's much easier to get it back in if the eye is first lubricated. It may even go in without massaging. Just use a lot of eye drops, lift the chin and tilt the head backwards. But if it has been out for a couple of days, the chances are slim, but I would try. A lot of times this happens to a youg bulldog. If you can get it in and it doesn't get infected, when the dog matures and it's head gets to it's right size it usually stays in. I would not risk surgery if it's popping out occasionally, even daily if you can get it back in and it's normal pink, and not red.

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
It actually isn't a cherry eye until it gets infected. It's just a lacrimal gland popping out and it's much easier to get it back in if the eye is first lubricated. It may even go in without massaging. Just use a lot of eye drops, lift the chin and tilt the head backwards. But if it has been out for a couple of days, the chances are slim, but I would try. A lot of times this happens to a youg bulldog. If you can get it in and it doesn't get infected, when the dog matures and it's head gets to it's right size it usually stays in. I would not risk surgery if it's popping out occasionally, even daily if you can get it back in and it's normal pink, and not red.
the gland is red and the vet said it is cherry eye :( thank you though!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Geez man.. it is frustrating for sure.

Quick question, did you seek a second opinion? Sorry cant recall :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
The vet has seen it so it must be. Some vets are also sometimes very keen on operating even when it's not necessary. Speedy recovery for your baby!

the gland is red and the vet said it is cherry eye :( thank you though!

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I really trust my vet, I've been we have been good friends since kindergarten and I know she has Murray's best interest at heart. I will keep you guys posted, thanks for the support :)

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
I really trust my vet, I've been we have been good friends since kindergarten and I know she has Murray's best interest at heart. I will keep you guys posted, thanks for the support :)

If I had to do it all over again- I would have removed it. Lockjaws first surgery failed. I decided on a second tack with the chance of an even higher failure rate. On Wednesday it will be a month since his surgery. Last week after he got really excited and barking a lot- it popped out (but it looked like a smaller "bump"- not as large as when it was completely out. That's happened about 4 or 5 times, but only when he barks a lot and it goes right back in with a soft massage.
If it comes out permanently again, then I'm removing it. The second vet that did the surgery was my breeders vet, but also learned from an ophthalmologist. He told me that after a 2nd tack you have just as much risk of dry eye as removing. I kind of just wish I would have removed it instead of a second tack. I hate that he had to have another surgery, and I'm not completely sold that this was completely successful. Although, I am happier with the second tack- ultimately it's just the nature of the beast when it comes to this surgery.

katy15

Jul 18, 2016
North Carolina
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
Hey can I ask how you did this? I watched a few videos on how to do it but I'm a little nervous because I've never done it. My dog has had cherry eye once before and it went away on it's own after a day or two, but this weekend it came back and hasn't gone away. She has a vet app tomorrow to get it popped in, but if I can do it myself I'd like to learn in case it happens again!

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
[MENTION=16127]katy15[/MENTION] fairly easy. Take a baby wipe and wipe the corner of the and gently pull the skin down and push it back up OR in the same motion take the corner or the eye at the skin and move it across the cherry eye. I always use the skin around the eye to VERY gently massage the gland back into place

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Here is a failed attempt at making a video of pushing the cherry eye back. You can't see when I actually did it but you can see what movements I did to get it back in place. I will try again once it pops out again with someone else working the camera

https://vimeo.com/175850520

amk9022

Jul 28, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
So my 10 months old Lucy had the stitch surgery at the time of her spay at 6 months, within a week her "cherry eye" popped back out. Should I wait until she is a full grown adult to have it tacked again?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.