Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 49

Thread: Frank's prostate/prolapsed urethra?

  1. #1
    BullyWood Movie Star I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Biogirl71's Avatar
    Real Name
    Erin
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    3,615
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)
    1019

    Default Frank's prostate/prolapsed urethra?

    This morning early started with Frank heavily dripping/spurting blood from his penis. It was over in about a minute or so but it sent me into utter panic mode. Our living room and kitchen looked like a crime scene. I got Frank into see the vet this afternoon and the vet took an xray and thought Frank's prostate looked enlarged. He hadn't heard of prolapsed urethra but based on my frantic searching of EBN threads this morning, I think that might also be an issue as well.

    Since the best solution to both issues seems to be neutering, Frank will be going in this Friday. Right now, he is snoozing away on the cool tile after his traumatic day. And I am worrying up a storm, of course.

    Also, does anyone have any suggestions for if he starts bleeding again on how to stop it or help prevent it from going everywhere?
    Happiness is a warm bulldog!

  2. #2
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,176
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11511

    Default Re: Frank's prostate/prolapsed urethra?

    @Manydogs may have suggestions on the bleeding?

    Sending lots of hugs, prayers and positive thoughts to you all....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  3. Likes Biogirl71 liked this post
  4. #3
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,507
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6200

    Default Frank's prostate/prolapsed urethra?

    Quote Originally Posted by Biogirl71 View Post
    This morning early started with Frank heavily dripping/spurting blood from his penis. It was over in about a minute or so but it sent me into utter panic mode. Our living room and kitchen looked like a crime scene. I got Frank into see the vet this afternoon and the vet took an xray and thought Frank's prostate looked enlarged. He hadn't heard of prolapsed urethra but based on my frantic searching of EBN threads this morning, I think that might also be an issue as well.

    Since the best solution to both issues seems to be neutering, Frank will be going in this Friday. Right now, he is snoozing away on the cool tile after his traumatic day. And I am worrying up a storm, of course.

    Also, does anyone have any suggestions for if he starts bleeding again on how to stop it or help prevent it from going everywhere?
    This is exactly what happened to Tyson he started Peeing blood and leaking blood, he was taken to an emergency vet of course this all happened while we were on our honeymoon in Mexico we ended up taking the first flight back and met him at the Emergency Vet that evening they also said his prostate was enlarged and that the only way to resolve the issue was to neuter him. This is why he was neutered at eight years old. Prior to him being neutered they put him on a strong dose of antibiotic's & he continued them after the neuter as well and then we had to do a follow up 14 days after the neutered to check his prostate and make sure that it was shrinking in size.

    He did ccontinuebleeding when we brought him home and the vet said that would happen but the medicine helped stop it after a few days it wasn't horrible once we got back home but we did have to spot clean a few areas and layout towels. And there was visible blood in his pee.

    I am so sorry you're going through this I am reliving it as I'm typing.. The anxiety I got when we got the call in Mexico nearly killed me that and the fact that they were throwing out the C word in the beginning! After the neuter and him being on Meds for nearly a month everything shrunk back down in size and we were all good


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  5. Likes Manydogs, bullmama, ddnene, Ftse 100 liked this post
  6. #4
    BullyWood Movie Star I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Biogirl71's Avatar
    Real Name
    Erin
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    3,615
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)
    1019

    Default Re: Frank's prostate/prolapsed urethra?

    @TyTysmom - that is so scary and I am so sorry that happened while you guys were on your honeymoon. What a horrible nightmare! While it sounds like the whole process was awful, I am glad that everything turned out okay. And it does help me to relieve some anxiety about neutering at an older age. After examining Frank this afternoon, the vet said he didn't see a need for antibiotics as there wasn't any discharge or anything out of the ordinary other than the bleeding and x-ray. I suppose after his neutering he will get some meds.

    We decided to lay down towels and old sheets in case it happens again. I am hoping it won't if we keep him nice and calm.
    Happiness is a warm bulldog!

  7. Likes TyTysmom, bullmama, Ftse 100 liked this post
  8. #5
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,507
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6200

    Default Re: Frank's prostate/prolapsed urethra?

    Quote Originally Posted by Biogirl71 View Post
    @TyTysmom - that is so scary and I am so sorry that happened while you guys were on your honeymoon. What a horrible nightmare! While it sounds like the whole process was awful, I am glad that everything turned out okay. And it does help me to relieve some anxiety about neutering at an older age. After examining Frank this afternoon, the vet said he didn't see a need for antibiotics as there wasn't any discharge or anything out of the ordinary other than the bleeding and x-ray. I suppose after his neutering he will get some meds.

    We decided to lay down towels and old sheets in case it happens again. I am hoping it won't if we keep him nice and calm.
    Good thinking back now he also had a UTI, so I think the meds were for both that and the prostate. It was Baytril.

    I know, it was awful, going from pure bliss to frantic panic. We left half our crap in Mexico (toiletries, etc). I had never packed so fast!!! Paid $150 per ticket to get on the next flight. Luckily it was our last day there so we lost just one day... we had an original departure time at night. We got the call in the middle of the night, so we were able to get on a 6am flight! Praise God that we had an awesome sitter & I had left her all the numbers, address & contacts for ER vet, our vet, etc. so when it happened she took him straight there. Bless her. She was a mess too bc she knew how much he means to us, and she was a high school student/athlete where my husband works.

    I'm sure your vet is experienced with bullies so Frank will be fine! Are both his "ahem" boys out? Tyson had only one drop the other was inside... So they had to cut to get it out

    Yeah, they will likely give him a good med after and then re check the prostate to make sure it's going down. Please let me know if you have any other questions & give Frank a big hug from me!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  9. Likes bullmama, CCandMurray, Biogirl71 liked this post
  10. #6
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Manydogs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    10,646
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)
    6676

    Default Re: Frank's prostate/prolapsed urethra?

    @Biogirl71 I am so happy that TyTysMom was here to help you out.I am mia alot, as my computer and I are ailing! One thing that worries me-other than poor Frank,is the fact that your vet has never heard of a prolapsed urethra......how long has he been in practice?
    That is odd to me. Glad Frank is doing better.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

  11. Likes bullmama, Biogirl71, TyTysmom, Texas Carol liked this post
  12. #7
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member CCandMurray's Avatar
    Real Name
    Carolyn
    Country
    U.S.
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,624
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Murray
    Likes (Received)
    1544

    Default Re: Frank's prostate/prolapsed urethra?

    @Biogirl71 poor you and poor Frank when is he going to get neutered? Murray and I are sending lots of positive thoughts, prayers and hugs your way please keep us posted

  13. Likes bullmama, Biogirl71 liked this post
  14. #8
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Petra's Avatar
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Location
    Naboomspruit, South Africa.
    Posts
    2,880
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)
    1384

    Default Re: Frank's prostate/prolapsed urethra?

    OMG! I would have totally FREAKED out Shame, I'm so sorry, that must have been so scary Glad to hear he's doing better now We neutered Bennie when he was almost 3 years old, no issues, and no changes in personality either Hope all will go perfect, thinking of you guys<3
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.



  15. Likes Biogirl71 liked this post
  16. #9
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    ddnene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    12,729
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)
    5584

    Default Re: Frank's prostate/prolapsed urethra?

    Oh Erin, I'm SO sorry to hear about Frank… I hope everything goes smoothly w/his neuter. Sending hugs and prayers

    "What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

  17. Likes Biogirl71 liked this post
  18. #10
    BullyWood Movie Star I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Biogirl71's Avatar
    Real Name
    Erin
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    3,615
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)
    1019

    Default Re: Frank's prostate/prolapsed urethra?

    @TyTysmom - yes, both are out so hopefully that helps make it easier. It sounds like you guys went through all of the worst-case scenarios with Tyson I am glad that everything turned out okay.
    @Manydogs - I know that the clinic is experienced with bulldogs but this is the first time that we have seen this vet. It did surprise me that he hadn't heard of a prolapsed urethra but he seemed knowledgeable regarding issues that bulldogs have with anesthesia. He said that they use isoflurane and watch them carefully after. I am so nervous though.
    Happiness is a warm bulldog!

  19. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
  20. #11
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,507
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6200

    Default Re: Frank's prostate/prolapsed urethra?

    Quote Originally Posted by Biogirl71 View Post
    @TyTysmom - yes, both are out so hopefully that helps make it easier. It sounds like you guys went through all of the worst-case scenarios with Tyson I am glad that everything turned out okay.
    @Manydogs - I know that the clinic is experienced with bulldogs but this is the first time that we have seen this vet. It did surprise me that he hadn't heard of a prolapsed urethra but he seemed knowledgeable regarding issues that bulldogs have with anesthesia. He said that they use isoflurane and watch them carefully after. I am so nervous though.

    Yes, that does make it so much easier & its so much better on healing time, etc. How he is doing this morning?

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  21. #12
    BullyWood Movie Star I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Biogirl71's Avatar
    Real Name
    Erin
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    3,615
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)
    1019

    Default Re: Frank's prostate/prolapsed urethra?

    Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    Yes, that does make it so much easier & its so much better on healing time, etc. How he is doing this morning?
    He had some minor bleeding this morning, just some heavy drips for a couple of seconds, not as bad as yesterday. Everything else is normal, eating, drinking. He is peeing just fine and there is no blood in his urine. Thanks for asking after him! He is snoring right now. I am trying just to keep him calm and relaxed.
    Happiness is a warm bulldog!

  22. Likes TyTysmom, Texas Carol, Manydogs, bullmama liked this post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •