Frank's prostate/prolapsed urethra?

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
This morning early started with Frank heavily dripping/spurting blood from his penis. It was over in about a minute or so but it sent me into utter panic mode. Our living room and kitchen looked like a crime scene. I got Frank into see the vet this afternoon and the vet took an xray and thought Frank's prostate looked enlarged. He hadn't heard of prolapsed urethra but based on my frantic searching of EBN threads this morning, I think that might also be an issue as well.

Since the best solution to both issues seems to be neutering, Frank will be going in this Friday. Right now, he is snoozing away on the cool tile after his traumatic day. And I am worrying up a storm, of course.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for if he starts bleeding again on how to stop it or help prevent it from going everywhere?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] may have suggestions on the bleeding?

Sending lots of hugs, prayers and positive thoughts to you all.... :hug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
This morning early started with Frank heavily dripping/spurting blood from his penis. It was over in about a minute or so but it sent me into utter panic mode. Our living room and kitchen looked like a crime scene. I got Frank into see the vet this afternoon and the vet took an xray and thought Frank's prostate looked enlarged. He hadn't heard of prolapsed urethra but based on my frantic searching of EBN threads this morning, I think that might also be an issue as well.

Since the best solution to both issues seems to be neutering, Frank will be going in this Friday. Right now, he is snoozing away on the cool tile after his traumatic day. And I am worrying up a storm, of course.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for if he starts bleeding again on how to stop it or help prevent it from going everywhere?

This is exactly what happened to Tyson he started Peeing blood and leaking blood, he was taken to an emergency vet of course this all happened while we were on our honeymoon in Mexico we ended up taking the first flight back and met him at the Emergency Vet that evening they also said his prostate was enlarged and that the only way to resolve the issue was to neuter him. This is why he was neutered at eight years old. Prior to him being neutered they put him on a strong dose of antibiotic's & he continued them after the neuter as well and then we had to do a follow up 14 days after the neutered to check his prostate and make sure that it was shrinking in size.

He did ccontinuebleeding when we brought him home and the vet said that would happen but the medicine helped stop it after a few days it wasn't horrible once we got back home but we did have to spot clean a few areas and layout towels. And there was visible blood in his pee.

I am so sorry you're going through this I am reliving it as I'm typing.. The anxiety I got when we got the call in Mexico nearly killed me that and the fact that they were throwing out the C word in the beginning! After the neuter and him being on Meds for nearly a month everything shrunk back down in size and we were all good ;)

OP
Biogirl71

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] - that is so scary and I am so sorry that happened while you guys were on your honeymoon. What a horrible nightmare! While it sounds like the whole process was awful, I am glad that everything turned out okay. And it does help me to relieve some anxiety about neutering at an older age. After examining Frank this afternoon, the vet said he didn't see a need for antibiotics as there wasn't any discharge or anything out of the ordinary other than the bleeding and x-ray. I suppose after his neutering he will get some meds.

We decided to lay down towels and old sheets in case it happens again. I am hoping it won't if we keep him nice and calm.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] - that is so scary and I am so sorry that happened while you guys were on your honeymoon. What a horrible nightmare! While it sounds like the whole process was awful, I am glad that everything turned out okay. And it does help me to relieve some anxiety about neutering at an older age. After examining Frank this afternoon, the vet said he didn't see a need for antibiotics as there wasn't any discharge or anything out of the ordinary other than the bleeding and x-ray. I suppose after his neutering he will get some meds.

We decided to lay down towels and old sheets in case it happens again. I am hoping it won't if we keep him nice and calm.

Good :) thinking back now he also had a UTI, so I think the meds were for both that and the prostate. It was Baytril.

I know, it was awful, going from pure bliss to frantic panic. We left half our crap in Mexico (toiletries, etc). I had never packed so fast!!! Paid $150 per ticket to get on the next flight. Luckily it was our last day there so we lost just one day... we had an original departure time at night. We got the call in the middle of the night, so we were able to get on a 6am flight! Praise God that we had an awesome sitter & I had left her all the numbers, address & contacts for ER vet, our vet, etc. so when it happened she took him straight there. Bless her. She was a mess too bc she knew how much he means to us, and she was a high school student/athlete where my husband works.

I'm sure your vet is experienced with bullies so Frank will be fine! Are both his "ahem" boys out? Tyson had only one drop the other was inside... So they had to cut to get it out :(

Yeah, they will likely give him a good med after and then re check the prostate to make sure it's going down. Please let me know if you have any other questions & give Frank a big hug from me!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=1462]Biogirl71[/MENTION] I am so happy that TyTysMom was here to help you out.I am mia alot, as my computer and I are ailing! One thing that worries me-other than poor Frank,is the fact that your vet has never heard of a prolapsed urethra......how long has he been in practice?
That is odd to me. Glad Frank is doing better.:drawheart:

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
[MENTION=1462]Biogirl71[/MENTION] poor you and poor Frank :( when is he going to get neutered? Murray and I are sending lots of positive thoughts, prayers and hugs your way please keep us posted

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
OMG! I would have totally FREAKED out:fie: Shame, I'm so sorry, that must have been so scary:( Glad to hear he's doing better now:whew: We neutered Bennie when he was almost 3 years old, no issues, and no changes in personality either:) Hope all will go perfect, thinking of you guys<3

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh Erin, I'm SO sorry to hear about Frank… I hope everything goes smoothly w/his neuter. Sending hugs and prayers :drawheart:

OP
Biogirl71

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] - yes, both are out so hopefully that helps make it easier. It sounds like you guys went through all of the worst-case scenarios with Tyson :( I am glad that everything turned out okay.
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] - I know that the clinic is experienced with bulldogs but this is the first time that we have seen this vet. It did surprise me that he hadn't heard of a prolapsed urethra but he seemed knowledgeable regarding issues that bulldogs have with anesthesia. He said that they use isoflurane and watch them carefully after. I am so nervous though.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
@TyTysmom - yes, both are out so hopefully that helps make it easier. It sounds like you guys went through all of the worst-case scenarios with Tyson :( I am glad that everything turned out okay.
@Manydogs - I know that the clinic is experienced with bulldogs but this is the first time that we have seen this vet. It did surprise me that he hadn't heard of a prolapsed urethra but he seemed knowledgeable regarding issues that bulldogs have with anesthesia. He said that they use isoflurane and watch them carefully after. I am so nervous though.

Yes, that does make it so much easier & its so much better on healing time, etc. How he is doing this morning?

OP
Biogirl71

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Yes, that does make it so much easier & its so much better on healing time, etc. How he is doing this morning?

He had some minor bleeding this morning, just some heavy drips for a couple of seconds, not as bad as yesterday. Everything else is normal, eating, drinking. He is peeing just fine and there is no blood in his urine. Thanks for asking after him! He is snoring right now. I am trying just to keep him calm and relaxed.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
My gawd...wasn't even there and I feel panicky & sick at my tummy ;(

Respect for keeping it together, Honey!

While y'all await neuter can you wrap gauze around his middle with kotex
pad & maybe toddler shorts over it all?

Wow...starting prayers over Frank right now and sending huge hugs of comfort
to you.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Thinking of Frank and wishing for a speedy recovery!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.