adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Hello,

Winston just started allergy injections after testing to control his skin issues - he was super itchy. Just wondering if anyone has done this and had success or any issues.

Thanks!!

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
yes i went through this with my abbey. sorry to say it did not help her..
. after the testing it turns out she was allergic to over 25 different things.. i got her shots, which consisted of two a day. and started her on them.. after the first couple days she was scratching worse then ever
i called vet and asked if this was normal, she told me to bring my shots in and they would dilute them that they were to strong. so i did this and continued shots.. she still scratched.. Now, when she completes the first set, yeah, there are two more sets to go thru..
she starts her next set and it starts over again with scratching worse then ever.. so i call vet.. again they tell me to bring them in that they are to strong.. so., again.. same thing they dilute them and we continue.
still scratching,,now the last set of shots.. we start them and scratching is same as beginning.. well, i am getting a little frustrated because not only to i have close to 1000.00 but my poor dog is still suffering.. so again i call vet.. this time they explain to me that what is in the shots are all the things that she is allergic to.. the idea is to build up her immune system so she wont be allergic to that stuff anymore.. needless to say.. i stopped the shots and did many baths, changed food and finally found a vet that put her on apoquel medicine and it has helped her 95%,, she looks and acts like a different dog.. i sure hope you have better luck with them then i did..
it was very upsetting for me to watch her scratch so much and she would bleed from it.. i cried because i could not help her get the relief.. it was very heart breaking.. i know every dog is different with allergies and my abbey unfortunately had many things that would make her scratch that she could not even play without stopping to scratch.. she was miserable..so glad she is better.. yes the pills are a little pricey but i don't care what the cost if she feels and looks better.. good luck and keep me posted if you dont mind.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We did them with Nitschke and Banks.... their allergies were different at different times, with Nitshcke, his were rice and grass so with him being our first dog and experience with allergies we went with it, 2 years in I stopped because I could control his allergies with avoiding rice in his diet and wiping is paws after being outside. Banks was allergic to a lot more.... grass, weeds, house flies, chicken, salmon etc..... we started her on the shots but about 6 months in we stopped, the drama and stress to her, in my opinion, was not worth any results I was seeing (which was none). So again, I figured ways to avoid and manage her allergies without the shots.

Now, Lambeau we are awaiting the results of his test and pending what they are I hope to be able to go the route of no shot and manage.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Yes, we did it with Chumly and it changed his life dramatically. His allergies were all environmental and the weekly injections really helped. He would still have flare-ups a couple of times a year that we had to treat with other meds but you can't do too much about all the pollen, although wiping down does help.

Pollen.jpg

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I have never done the testing, but most allergies are food related, and some are environmental. Try a different protein, and stay away from chichen. we have a Frenchie who has seasonal allergies and we put her on Temaril-P. That helps with her itching.

OP
adamslater

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
yes i went through this with my abbey. sorry to say it did not help her..
. after the testing it turns out she was allergic to over 25 different things.. i got her shots, which consisted of two a day. and started her on them.. after the first couple days she was scratching worse then ever
i called vet and asked if this was normal, she told me to bring my shots in and they would dilute them that they were to strong. so i did this and continued shots.. she still scratched.. Now, when she completes the first set, yeah, there are two more sets to go thru..
she starts her next set and it starts over again with scratching worse then ever.. so i call vet.. again they tell me to bring them in that they are to strong.. so., again.. same thing they dilute them and we continue.
still scratching,,now the last set of shots.. we start them and scratching is same as beginning.. well, i am getting a little frustrated because not only to i have close to 1000.00 but my poor dog is still suffering.. so again i call vet.. this time they explain to me that what is in the shots are all the things that she is allergic to.. the idea is to build up her immune system so she wont be allergic to that stuff anymore.. needless to say.. i stopped the shots and did many baths, changed food and finally found a vet that put her on apoquel medicine and it has helped her 95%,, she looks and acts like a different dog.. i sure hope you have better luck with them then i did..
it was very upsetting for me to watch her scratch so much and she would bleed from it.. i cried because i could not help her get the relief.. it was very heart breaking.. i know every dog is different with allergies and my abbey unfortunately had many things that would make her scratch that she could not even play without stopping to scratch.. she was miserable..so glad she is better.. yes the pills are a little pricey but i don't care what the cost if she feels and looks better.. good luck and keep me posted if you dont mind.

I hope it works for my guy. It is so horrible to see them so itchy. Unfortunately apoquel is not available in Canada. We are currently doing steroids for the short term for some relief. I will update you should we see a response to treatment.

OP
adamslater

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Yes, we did it with Chumly and it changed his life dramatically. His allergies were all environmental and the weekly injections really helped. He would still have flare-ups a couple of times a year that we had to treat with other meds but you can't do too much about all the pollen, although wiping down does help.

View attachment 96815

Winston allergies are environmental as well - most allergic to dust mites which are impossible to get rid off. I hope we get the same result. Thanks!!

OP
adamslater

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I have never done the testing, but most allergies are food related, and some are environmental. Try a different protein, and stay away from chichen. we have a Frenchie who has seasonal allergies and we put her on Temaril-P. That helps with her itching.

He currently is on raw - kangeroo which I have heard is an excellent protien for dogs with allergies. We have already done the elimination diet as well. Allergies are environmental. I will look up teramil p to see if that would help him short term. Thanks!

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
I hope it works for my guy. It is so horrible to see them so itchy. Unfortunately apoquel is not available in Canada. We are currently doing steroids for the short term for some relief. I will update you should we see a response to treatment.

one thing that did help with her itching before i got the medicine was bathing her with malaseb medicated dog shampoo.. she didn't like that i had to leave it on her for 10-15 minutes at first but it did help her for a few days anyway.. i know how you feel.. it is so heartbreaking to watch them suffer.. thoughts will be with you..

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.