General Question anyone know what could be going on...

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
Well, all is well with my bullies except my Rocky is having a little problem with his ear again
it only seems to be in one ear.. when we rescued him, some of you may remember, he had the bad tail pocket infection that we had to amputate, well along with that he had a bad ear infection that the vet treated twice..
well now it is running some yucky stuff.. i clean it every day.. its not a dark brown color, more like a tan color and kinda like slime.. sorry to sound so gross.. i don't know if its yeast, or what is going on.. i am taking him in to vet but just wondered if anyone might know what is going on..and any suggestions on what to use to clean it with..
It is really hard to tell if its bothering him although i first noticed it because he seemed to be shaking his head so the first thing i did was check his ears.. he has always acted so happy and i could not help fall in love with this big boy on day one.. i think it bothers me more then him.. i want all my furbabies happy and healthy.

anyone have any ideas what could be going on with my big jolly boy?? 971433_10207217775421732_1804987868302829207_n.jpg5950_10207217781741890_1083235749755770233_n.jpg

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Could be ear mites, your vet will be able to find out if it is and give you a wash to get rid of them.

OP
punky

punky

Mar 19, 2010
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
i dont think its the ear mites.. cause it seems to have alot of fluid like when i wipe it and its really light in color.. not dark like coffee grounds.. kinda hope maybe it might be cause i can treat that good.. but i will see.. thanks for the thought.. i will keep posting when i find out..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Slime like.... I would think it might be a deep infection ---- please keep us posted on what your vet says.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I agree, sounds like an ear infection-as you describe the discharge. [MENTION=295]punky[/MENTION]

OP
punky

punky

Mar 19, 2010
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Well, all is well with my bullies except my Rocky is having a little problem with his ear again
it only seems to be in one ear.. when we rescued him, some of you may remember, he had the bad tail pocket infection that we had to amputate, well along with that he had a bad ear infection that the vet treated twice..
well now it is running some yucky stuff.. i clean it every day.. its not a dark brown color, more like a tan color and kinda like slime.. sorry to sound so gross.. i don't know if its yeast, or what is going on.. i am taking him in to vet but just wondered if anyone might know what is going on..and any suggestions on what to use to clean it with..
It is really hard to tell if its bothering him although i first noticed it because he seemed to be shaking his head so the first thing i did was check his ears.. he has always acted so happy and i could not help fall in love with this big boy on day one.. i think it bothers me more then him.. i want all my furbabies happy and healthy.

anyone have any ideas what could be going on with my big jolly boy?? View attachment 96802View attachment 96803

UPDATE,

well, we went to vet and it is an ear infection again.. poor boy.. he still acts like he loves the world so it hurt my feelings knowing his little ears didn't feel good... but we got antibiotic and ear drops along with a steroid shot.. she did do a culture check to see what the infection was and so she would know what would work best for it.
i have noticed everytime he gets an ear infection his tear stains start.. not good but yet now i know ahead of time if it starts to look in his ears before it gets to bad.. he don't like me putting the drops in because the medicine has to stay in the refrigerator so its cold.. my husband says i need to warm it up for him..
I'm glad its getting better but i feel bad that i didn't notice it sooner.. i clean his ears often but it seemed like it was overnight that it got so yucky.. i feel like a bad bully mom but he's still a happy boy.. and he loved all the attention he got from vet.. 11223950_10207428185761859_8325905750603362248_n.jpg12670336_10207428248603430_6242362264402118497_n.jpg12923266_10207428183041791_2617908189130277889_n.jpg

oh.. and he is 71 pounds.. yeah we are working on that.. i cut his food back and vet said for the amount i am feeding him that we may have to do a thyroid check if he gains anymore.. i told her the harness had to weight at least 5lbs.. lol..what? my shoes weight at least 15lbs .. ha ha

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=295]punky[/MENTION] Thanks for the update. Rocky is so cute! My Carlie had trouble with ear infections, and my vet finally used something in her ear-some meds,that had a wax plug that he put in her ear with a syringe. The plug eventually melts,but for the time being it keeps the meds in the ear. Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the meds, but it did the trick for Carlie,and she had no more ear trouble. Sending hugs to Rocky!:hug:

OP
punky

punky

Mar 19, 2010
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
@punky Thanks for the update. Rocky is so cute! My Carlie had trouble with ear infections, and my vet finally used something in her ear-some meds,that had a wax plug that he put in her ear with a syringe. The plug eventually melts,but for the time being it keeps the meds in the ear. Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the meds, but it did the trick for Carlie,and she had no more ear trouble. Sending hugs to Rocky!:hug:[/QUOTE

when we first rescued him he had ear infection and my vet put something like what you are describing in it.. i liked it because it was something you put in and i didn't have to bother with it.. she said to put it in and leave it and medicine would continue working.. but this time when she did the culture on it she said that medicine would not work that great for it this time so she gave me the drops that she said will do a better job.. i sure hope this isn't something he gets alot.. i love him and hate to see any of my furbabies in any pain..

thanks, rocky is a love bug.. they liked how he would high five you for a treat and the vet tech kept giving him treats to so others in the vet until i said uh, now i see why Rocky like it so well here, he gets more treats here then at home.. lol.. well , almost..

CarrieW

Apr 4, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Lola and I have battled ear infections for years. So far we have been able to keep them at bay with a home cooked diet, Apoquel and Cort Astrin in the ears twice a week. The last time the Vet did pack the ear with med and it did seem to work better than the daily application.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
UPDATE,

well, we went to vet and it is an ear infection again.. poor boy.. he still acts like he loves the world so it hurt my feelings knowing his little ears didn't feel good... but we got antibiotic and ear drops along with a steroid shot.. she did do a culture check to see what the infection was and so she would know what would work best for it.
i have noticed everytime he gets an ear infection his tear stains start.. not good but yet now i know ahead of time if it starts to look in his ears before it gets to bad.. he don't like me putting the drops in because the medicine has to stay in the refrigerator so its cold.. my husband says i need to warm it up for him..
I'm glad its getting better but i feel bad that i didn't notice it sooner.. i clean his ears often but it seemed like it was overnight that it got so yucky.. i feel like a bad bully mom but he's still a happy boy.. and he loved all the attention he got from vet.. View attachment 97185View attachment 97186View attachment 97187

oh.. and he is 71 pounds.. yeah we are working on that.. i cut his food back and vet said for the amount i am feeding him that we may have to do a thyroid check if he gains anymore.. i told her the harness had to weight at least 5lbs.. lol..what? my shoes weight at least 15lbs .. ha ha

The ears issues can be from environmental allergies..... I am going through it with Lambeau and my vet gave him a med that cleared it all up, one application has lasted over a months now.... it is called Claro. I have two threads in the 'members only' forum all about it.

OP
punky

punky

Mar 19, 2010
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
The ears issues can be from environmental allergies..... I am going through it with Lambeau and my vet gave him a med that cleared it all up, one application has lasted over a months now.... it is called Claro. I have two threads in the 'members only' forum all about it.

we have the ear infection cleared up.. put him on medicine for two weeks and cleaning his ears often and putting drops in every few days.. its funny you mentioned environmental allergies because while i was in with the vet i told her i have noticed on his sides the hair was thinning and looking black and asked if, because of his weight, that was a sign of thyroid issues.. she said she could do a test to check if i was concerned, well, of course I am, (she knows how I am with them) so she does and turns out his thyroid was perfect . She told me of an environmental allergy that resemble same systems and it was this time last year that we rescued him.. i remember when we got him the hair on his sides were patchy looking and i asked the woman at the time what it was.. all she told me was he had a skin infection and it was where his hair fell out and its coming back in.. not much of an answer but the vet and i concluded it could be this environmental allergy since it was about this same time last year. Its not getting any worse but you can bet i will be watching it.. i think i know every spot, hair loss, red spot, and freckle on all 4 of my dogs.. lol.. oh,, he also lost a few pounds so he's looking good.. he had to felt bad with those poor ears.. :(

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.