Thread: Boris luxating patella

Newbie Become a 4 Paw Member Jmlevin's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boris
    Likes (Received)

Default Boris luxating patella

Hey everyone Boris was playing fetch at the park yesterday and after I realized he was limping, I brought him to the vet, originally I thought he must have just sprained something when the vet came in and she examined him she said it is a luxating patella he will need surgery for I'm bringing him today for x rays which they said they need to sedate him for. I feel so bad for my little guy he doesn't understand why I'm not playing with him and he was up in the middle of the night whimpering I wish I could take the pain he's in instead of him it breaks my heart. Does anyone have any experience with anything like this I really appreciate it in advance

Thanks
    Justin

2. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Boris luxating patella

Quote Originally Posted by Jmlevin View Post
    Hey everyone Boris was playing fetch at the park yesterday and after I realized he was limping, I brought him to the vet, originally I thought he must have just sprained something when the vet came in and she examined him she said it is a luxating patella he will need surgery for I'm bringing him today for x rays which they said they need to sedate him for. I feel so bad for my little guy he doesn't understand why I'm not playing with him and he was up in the middle of the night whimpering I wish I could take the pain he's in instead of him it breaks my heart. Does anyone have any experience with anything like this I really appreciate it in advance

Thanks
    Justin
    Poor baby. He'll be okay - your vet is bully experienced correct? Just making sure if they have to put him under. Tyson had a partial cruciate ligament tear about 2 years ago. The vet suggested surgery but I was terrified and decided to consult another vet. This time one with bully experience - she told me to rest him, no jumping, restrict all activity and we put him on anti-inflammatories along with pain meds. Within a month he was no longer limping.... I know all cases vary, did they tell you what Grade base he has? Generally they come in 1-4, of course 1 being very mild, and may not necessarily require surgery. If its higher 3 or 4 - then yes, surgery would be his best bet. Has he been put under before?

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

4. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boris
    Likes (Received)

His vet is bully experienced he has been put under before for neutering and bracephalic stenotic Nare surgery. He's in for X-rays now should be picking him up around 1 or 2 should know what grade after X-ray Vet told me he 100% needs surgery but hoping he doesnt

6. Likes TyTysmom liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

His vet is bully experienced he has been put under before for neutering and bracephalic stenotic Nare surgery. He's in for X-rays now should be picking him up around 1 or 2 should know what grade after X-ray Vet told me he 100% needs surgery but hoping he doesnt
    Will be praying!!! Will you please keep us updated on what they say! It puts me at ease that he's gone under with no issues before and he's in experienced hands. Good job Dad!

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

how did it all go? My boy had this issue along with a torn ACL.... two surgeries and lots of recovery time
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Sorry to hear that about your bully. We rescued a bully once that had a luxating patella. We took him to our bully vet and he did surgery on his leg. After the surgery and some physical therapy, he is fine now. We found him a new home after that and he is living a happy life with a loving family.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

10. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boris
    Likes (Received)

Hey everyone thanks for all the help the vet saw some hip dysplasia as well as the luxating patella will have more info in 1-2 days once an orthopedist goes over the X-rays his activity is restricted for the next 10-14 days and he's on a antinflammatory anyone have any recommendations how to limit his activities but still keep him occupied he's very hyper for a bully he's only 14 months though have frozen marrow bones and things like that he can work on I feel bad we can't play tug of war of fetch which are daily activities and just want to keep him busy and happy

12. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

You really need to follow the limit on activity.. Hard as it, it is best. We did a lot of floor time snuggle and sort of rough housing, but no running or jumping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    e.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boris
    Likes (Received)

@2BullyMama do you think playing tug of war as long as he's not running or jumping is ok

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@2BullyMama do you think playing tug of war as long as he's not running or jumping is ok
    Depends on how excited it makes him... you'll have to gauge it all off his reaction and what may trigger him wanting to run. With Nitschke, he loved tug , but would not stand to play, he laid on his belly and would do like the alligator death roll.
    e.

Bulldog Vet in Training g8erjackie's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruckus and Regina
    Likes (Received)

How old is Boris? My vet told me that Regina had a bit of this when she was much younger, but she has grown out of it with age. If Boris doesn't have a high grade luxating patella, maybe you could keep him from too much zoomie action until it firms up?

Remove Ads