Boris luxating patella

Jmlevin

Sep 2, 2015
NYC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris
Hey everyone Boris was playing fetch at the park yesterday and after I realized he was limping, I brought him to the vet, originally I thought he must have just sprained something when the vet came in and she examined him she said it is a luxating patella he will need surgery for I'm bringing him today for x rays which they said they need to sedate him for. I feel so bad for my little guy he doesn't understand why I'm not playing with him and he was up in the middle of the night whimpering I wish I could take the pain he's in instead of him it breaks my heart. Does anyone have any experience with anything like this I really appreciate it in advance

Thanks
Justin

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hey everyone Boris was playing fetch at the park yesterday and after I realized he was limping, I brought him to the vet, originally I thought he must have just sprained something when the vet came in and she examined him she said it is a luxating patella he will need surgery for I'm bringing him today for x rays which they said they need to sedate him for. I feel so bad for my little guy he doesn't understand why I'm not playing with him and he was up in the middle of the night whimpering I wish I could take the pain he's in instead of him it breaks my heart. Does anyone have any experience with anything like this I really appreciate it in advance

Thanks
Justin

Poor baby. He'll be okay - your vet is bully experienced correct? Just making sure if they have to put him under. Tyson had a partial cruciate ligament tear about 2 years ago. The vet suggested surgery but I was terrified and decided to consult another vet. This time one with bully experience - she told me to rest him, no jumping, restrict all activity and we put him on anti-inflammatories along with pain meds. Within a month he was no longer limping.... I know all cases vary, did they tell you what Grade base he has? Generally they come in 1-4, of course 1 being very mild, and may not necessarily require surgery. If its higher 3 or 4 - then yes, surgery would be his best bet. Has he been put under before?

OP
Jmlevin

Jmlevin

Sep 2, 2015
NYC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris
His vet is bully experienced he has been put under before for neutering and bracephalic stenotic Nare surgery. He's in for X-rays now should be picking him up around 1 or 2 should know what grade after X-ray Vet told me he 100% needs surgery but hoping he doesnt

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
His vet is bully experienced he has been put under before for neutering and bracephalic stenotic Nare surgery. He's in for X-rays now should be picking him up around 1 or 2 should know what grade after X-ray Vet told me he 100% needs surgery but hoping he doesnt

Will be praying!!! Will you please keep us updated on what they say! It puts me at ease that he's gone under with no issues before and he's in experienced hands. Good job Dad!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

how did it all go? My boy had this issue along with a torn ACL.... two surgeries and lots of recovery time

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sorry to hear that about your bully. We rescued a bully once that had a luxating patella. We took him to our bully vet and he did surgery on his leg. After the surgery and some physical therapy, he is fine now. We found him a new home after that and he is living a happy life with a loving family.

OP
Jmlevin

Jmlevin

Sep 2, 2015
NYC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris
Hey everyone thanks for all the help the vet saw some hip dysplasia as well as the luxating patella will have more info in 1-2 days once an orthopedist goes over the X-rays his activity is restricted for the next 10-14 days and he's on a antinflammatory anyone have any recommendations how to limit his activities but still keep him occupied he's very hyper for a bully he's only 14 months though have frozen marrow bones and things like that he can work on I feel bad we can't play tug of war of fetch which are daily activities and just want to keep him busy and happy

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You really need to follow the limit on activity.. Hard as it, it is best. We did a lot of floor time snuggle and sort of rough housing, but no running or jumping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jmlevin

Jmlevin

Sep 2, 2015
NYC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] do you think playing tug of war as long as he's not running or jumping is ok

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@2BullyMama do you think playing tug of war as long as he's not running or jumping is ok

Depends on how excited it makes him... you'll have to gauge it all off his reaction and what may trigger him wanting to run. With Nitschke, he loved tug , but would not stand to play, he laid on his belly and would do like the alligator death roll.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
How old is Boris? My vet told me that Regina had a bit of this when she was much younger, but she has grown out of it with age. If Boris doesn't have a high grade luxating patella, maybe you could keep him from too much zoomie action until it firms up?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.