Neuter

Steelstacks

May 30, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
So it's time for me to book a neuter appointment for Bowser. I have 2 options.

I can go to reliable vet with bulldog knowledge (never been there but has great reviews and recommended by englishbulldognews). The cost is $370.

Or I can go to the Ontario SPCA which costs $150. There is a waiting list but i signed up months ago and it's finally my turn.

I'd like your opinions if possible. I know the SPCA handles all types of dogs but I want to know that my guy will be in good hands with anesthesia and care. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm a nervous nelly and would be going with the bully experienced vet.

Just be sure they do not use ACE during the surgery

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
I took Penny and will be taking Lockjaw to an experienced bully vet 1 1/2 hrs away for their surgery. I'de rather pay a little more and have more reassurance that someone with EBD experience is handling my babies.

Penny's surgery went exceptionally well, so I am even more comfortable now that it's coming up on Lockjaws turn - next Thursday. [emoji33]

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
I took Penny and will be taking Lockjaw to an experienced bully vet 1 1/2 hrs away for their surgery. I'de rather pay a little more and have more reassurance that someone with EBD experience is handling my babies.

Penny's surgery went exceptionally well, so I am even more comfortable now that it's coming up on Lockjaws turn - next Thursday. [emoji33]

:goodpost: My sentiment. Spend a little more with someone who is familiar with the breed.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
So it's time for me to book a neuter appointment for Bowser. I have 2 options.

I can go to reliable vet with bulldog knowledge (never been there but has great reviews and recommended by englishbulldognews). The cost is $370.

Or I can go to the Ontario SPCA which costs $150. There is a waiting list but i signed up months ago and it's finally my turn.

I'd like your opinions if possible. I know the SPCA handles all types of dogs but I want to know that my guy will be in good hands with anesthesia and care. Thank you.

Reliable bulldog vet - 150% - I wouldn't even consider anyone else. Its your baby - pay the extra money - coming from someone who personally almost lost her bulldog to a non-bulldog knowledgeable vet. I'd pay triple the cost if I could do it over again. Well, I ended up paying triple if not more due to ER/Critical care from almost losing him after surgery. Please go with bulldog vet. And be sure that the drug ACE is NOT USED.

OP
Steelstacks

Steelstacks

May 30, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
So we decided to go with the bulldpg vet and it was well worth it. It was about a 40 minute drive but the staff and facility was amazing. Thank you for the suggestions.

Bowser had his surgery yesterday morning and we took him home later that evening. He is doing very well just sleeping a lot and eating normally. Is it the pain meds that make him so sleepy?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So we decided to go with the bulldpg vet and it was well worth it. It was about a 40 minute drive but the staff and facility was amazing. Thank you for the suggestions.

Bowser had his surgery yesterday morning and we took him home later that evening. He is doing very well just sleeping a lot and eating normally. Is it the pain meds that make him so sleepy?

Great to hear it all went well! yes, the pain meds will make him sleepy

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

Best choice for Mr. Bowser, its always best in situations when being put under to go with experience :)

So glad all went well. Yep - meds will keep him drowsy, but he'll bounce back quicker than you know!

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Yay!! Glad to hear all went well. Lockjaws surgery was last Thursday. Meds made him sleepy as well. By Saturday he was already trying to run and jump a over the place. Lol

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
So glad it went well with Bowser's surgery! Frank had his surgery on Friday and was pretty sleepy for the rest of the day and on Saturday. On Sunday he was pretty much back to his old self.

OP
Steelstacks

Steelstacks

May 30, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
Thanks for all the well wishes everyone. Bowser has been having diarrhea after the surgery. So Monday night and twice on Tuesday. Is that normal after a neuter also?

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Thanks for all the well wishes everyone. Bowser has been having diarrhea after the surgery. So Monday night and twice on Tuesday. Is that normal after a neuter also?

Yes- that's normal. It's from the anesthesia and probably the pain meds. While Lockjaw didn't have that problem, Penny did with vomiting. Try a bland diet for the next few days and also adding some pure pumpkin to his food.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.