Blisters on his face

Fergie2012

Apr 16, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergie
Hi,

My boy (Fergie) is obsessed with other dogs urine, when he is off the lead he will literally force his head into the ground for several minutes every chance he gets and I will have to go over to him to make him stop. When he lifts his head his face is filthy and his tongue is dripping, sometimes I actually think it makes him nauseous and he will pant and seem ill for a hour or two.

Anyway, he has always done this but it seems to be getting worse and he has now got nasty looking blisters on his face from it, the blister is where he forces his face into the floor whilst he licks!

He is a 4 year old entire male, very healthy otherwise. He is due at the vets soon for his yearly check up but does anybody else have a similar problem? And if so any advice?

I have attached a couple of pictures to show the blister and what he normally looks like (albeit with a tremendous stinkeye)

IMG_6388.JPGIMG_6325.JPG

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OUCH!! I have no experience with this.... wonder why he would be so obsessed with urine? I've heard and seen poo eating, but never urine.

Please let us know what the vet says about it.... or, have you spoken with a behaviorist?

OP
Fergie2012

Fergie2012

Apr 16, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergie
OUCH!! I have no experience with this.... wonder why he would be so obsessed with urine? I've heard and seen poo eating, but never urine.

Please let us know what the vet says about it.... or, have you spoken with a behaviorist?

Thank's for the reply, I'm gonna take him to the vet in the morning to see if I can get a cream for his face, I think it is definitely associated with him being entire and have a feeling the vet will recommend I neuter him, which I do not want to do.

I can pull him away if he's on the lead but generally like to walk him off it and sometimes he will literally force his face into it for as long as he can until I get to him. I will talk to the vet but if anybody else has a similar experience then please advise.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I don't have any advice other than try to identify when this happens if it's not a constant behaviour and see if you can avoid certain situations that might trigger this. Castor is not at all that intense, but now and then he sniffs for what seems ages and the only way to make him move is to literally drag him away from the spot. This tends to happen for a week or two at a time and several months apart and I'm pretty sure he scents a female dog in heat. Castor is not neutured and we have no intention of neutering him. What we do when he sniffs like this is to wash his face and front legs and paws when we get back in (otherwise he licks his feet and sniffs them as if trying to reexperience the scent sensation).

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
[MENTION=8601]Fergie2012[/MENTION] First, I am glad to hear you are going to the vet. Second, I really cannot see the lesions very well with the pictures you have. My Jewel had wart like growths on her jowls that turned out to be pappilomas which are a virus and contagious among dogs. They ended up falling off.

I would keep Fergie on the lead and say "Leave It" when he starts doing his pee-pee thing.

Another issue maybe chemicals in the grass that maybe causing this issue...more incentive to keep him on the lead.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.