luvmystinkyboy

Feb 1, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
Hi! I have an English bulldog, Rocky. He has lost all of his hair on both flank sides. He is just bare skin. I've had him to the vet many times. His skin is in great condition;no itchy,red areas. No signs of yeast or fungal infections. Just had his thyroid tested;normal results. The vet Doctor said she doesn't see a "problem" it's purely cosmetic. I love him regardless. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem with theirs? Thanks for any feedback!
Bri

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is called seasonal flank alopecia (spelling?). Totally cosmetic--- you can give melatonin to help and rub coconut oil on it too
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

luvmystinkyboy

Feb 1, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
We thought that too. But it's much worse than that. Generally with that, small patches of hair loss occur. But with mine, he has lost all hair in sides and back. We did the melatonin and have rubbed coconut oil on skin and it's worked great keeping it moist!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It can take over the whole flank... Not uncommon for that to happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
One of mine had it several years ago,the skin turned black and she lost hair on both sides.
I rubbed NuStock on both sides-eventually the hair grew back,and skin went back to normal color. The Maude got it on both sides. It's been 2 years, and one side still has a bald patch,which the skin has just gone from black to dark pink donksforsale 002.JPGThe third dog,did not get the alopecia-they are still getting melatonin-but I think the secret is making sure they get melatonin all winter,for sure. I could not use the NuStock on the 2nd and 3rd, because they lick it off each other. The 3rd was the first one I started giving melatonin-and she didn't get it-the skin on both sides started to darken,but then went away.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Monty got it last year and it hasn't completely grown back. Google it then select 'images' and you will see many different pictures of severity. I am so used to it I don't notice Monty's much anymore.

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Coconut oil on exterior helps in hydration. You may also put a tbsp of it in food or use some fish oil.
Cheers,
Raghu

Karen100

Apr 14, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie,Taylor,Gatsby
All 3 of my guys lost there on there sides do to alopecia but since I have been giving then 3 mg. Of melatonin from September to April they no longer loose there hair.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Some lose it to the point that the hair follicles die and the hair never returns. It's completely cosmetic in most cases but can also be an indicator of a thyroid issue

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.