YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
Hey all!

Long time, and back with a question. I'm looking to drain my bullies anal glands personally (probably said nobody ever.) I've got gloves, papertowels, and ready to do it in the tub before a bath. Seems pretty straightforward, my vet just cups the glands in the back and squeezes. Does anybody do this themselves, and have tricks, or concerns about hurting their bully?

Thanks in advance!

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I wish I could do them myself, but Wally would eat me alive… Lol

Miss Charlotte

Jan 31, 2015
Elizabeth,NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlotte
Ok. Jumping in here. Does every bulldog need this? I've never had this done on Charlotte... How do you know when it needs to be done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ok. Jumping in here. Does every bulldog need this? I've never had this done on Charlotte... How do you know when it needs to be done?

No... Only if they are not expressing the glands naturally.

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor

My guy, I don't know if it needs to be done, but I know that he's started doing what I call the "boot scootin' boogie." When they drag their butts on the carpet, or randomly sit and scoot, then it's likely they need it done. It's an easy process, it just stiiiiiiinks like a fish market, and it doesn't wash off easy either. Another good sign that they may need their anal glands drained is random licking of the air.

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
I do my dogs. I can just walk in the house and smell it. It's usually Penny.
My neighbor is a groomer, so between her and YouTube, I learned how to do it myself.
I'm always well equipped - gloves, mask, wipes and a thorough soapy but clean afterwards.
I started giving Penny something called "no scoot". It's just extra fiber and pumpkin. It's been a few weeks since I've had to do hers, so it may be working.
The stench is something awful, but not intolerable.
I also have 2, so I did t want to pay all of the time to have it done. She tolerates it well, and I give her really good treats afterwards. Lol
Good Luck!

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
Wow--our vet is $16, but then we live in the back end of nowhere. So anyway, we had a friend with a beagle who had active gland problems (drained once a month) and the vet suggested carrots. Lots of carrots apparently minimize the activity and assist in the cleaning out back there.

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Wow--our vet is $16, but then we live in the back end of nowhere. So anyway, we had a friend with a beagle who had active gland problems (drained once a month) and the vet suggested carrots. Lots of carrots apparently minimize the activity and assist in the cleaning out back there.

Hmm carrots?!? I might try that! We always wipe them when they come back in from outside, that might be why we don't have a "scoot" issue. But I'm going to try carrots! Lol

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online