Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Can't believe I'm posting another problem so soon 😞
George (I'm pretty sure) is in agony with his tail pocket I have put out an S.O.S. on Facebook for a good experienced bulldog vet in Ireland just waiting on a reply. But he is in very bad form barking at nothing and bouncing around on his butt way more than normal. Also he started looking up snapping at the air licking and then he started drooling like crazy. He never normally drools except water drops after he drinks. I had just given him his painkiller for his toe so I don't know if it's that or if it's part of the tail pocket problem.
So sorry to be constantly asking questions but you are all so good and helpful you calm me down. Right now I'm super uptight I want to fix him so he can enjoy life. 😢😢😢

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Ekk. so sorry... and poor George! He may benefit greatly from a tail amputation if he is consistently having issues. The licking air could for sure be from his tail pocket area bothering him. What medication did they give him for pain? Tramadol? That shouldn't cause the licking or drooling.

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
A painkiller for his toe is Meloxicam.
He just can't settle at all he's running around and sitting then jumping up and running somewhere else. I'm so upset. I've emailed a vet that was recommended so hopefully I will get a reply soon.
Thanks I hope it is the tail causing the licking and drooling (if you get me) and not another problem.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agreed.... sounds like the tail pocket is really bothering him --- poor fella! If you can get in there and give a good wipe/cleaning it may give some relief

no worries on the questions -- it is why we all come here .... help and support and well, cute bully faces

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
agreed.... sounds like the tail pocket is really bothering him --- poor fella! If you can get in there and give a good wipe/cleaning it may give some relief

no worries on the questions -- it is why we all come here .... help and support and well, cute bully faces
Nope he will not let me near his butt at all I held him yesterday and he nearly bit my arm off. I have an appointment with a different vet tomorrow for a second opinion and he was a very nice man sounded very understanding when I explained the situation a lot nicer manner than the one I've been attending. If not I have a third option but it is a long journey for George if I have to go to the third option few hours drive. It would be better to get him help closer to home if I can.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Nope he will not let me near his butt at all I held him yesterday and he nearly bit my arm off. I have an appointment with a different vet tomorrow for a second opinion and he was a very nice man sounded very understanding when I explained the situation a lot nicer manner than the one I've been attending. If not I have a third option but it is a long journey for George if I have to go to the third option few hours drive. It would be better to get him help closer to home if I can.

OK -- keep us posted and best of luck at the new vet ..... fingers and paws are crossed

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
So just back from the new vet. He cleaned out George's tail pocket under sedation he said it was very bad and very irritated. We have another round of antibiotic with an anti inflammatory in also he is to stay on his pain killer for a while. We are only to clean it twice a week. He recommended we flush it out with a puppy shampoo water mix (mostly water). Flush it out and if I can get some diaper rash cream in there it would be good. He gave me the little syringes to flush it with. I asked about a tail amputation he didn't rule anything out but said he would like to give it a try with this first and if it happens again he will look at operating.
I was much happier with his attitude he was not dismissive of our concerns about George he also looked after his cracked toenail by putting some medical glue on it.
I'm feeling a lot better that we can manage this situation and if it can't be managed that we have the option of surgery.
Also he wants to see him for a follow up in 3 weeks which is a lot more than the first vet.
He is sleeping in his crate now as he was very irritated after the procedure but hopefully he will be ok now.
Thanks for keeping the fingers and paws crossed for us xxx

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
So just back from the new vet. He cleaned out George's tail pocket under sedation he said it was very bad and very irritated. We have another round of antibiotic with an anti inflammatory in also he is to stay on his pain killer for a while. We are only to clean it twice a week. He recommended we flush it out with a puppy shampoo water mix (mostly water). Flush it out and if I can get some diaper rash cream in there it would be good. He gave me the little syringes to flush it with. I asked about a tail amputation he didn't rule anything out but said he would like to give it a try with this first and if it happens again he will look at operating.
I was much happier with his attitude he was not dismissive of our concerns about George he also looked after his cracked toenail by putting some medical glue on it.
I'm feeling a lot better that we can manage this situation and if it can't be managed that we have the option of surgery.
Also he wants to see him for a follow up in 3 weeks which is a lot more than the first vet.
He is sleeping in his crate now as he was very irritated after the procedure but hopefully he will be ok now.
Thanks for keeping the fingers and paws crossed for us xxx

Good to know he got him all cleaned out..... can you get witch hazel where you live?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yep I have a couple of bottles in the house already for him I use it on his eye folds.

use it for the tail too.... it has a natural drying agent so there is no concerns about the moisture building up again. I know the vet sat to flush with water, but that will keep it moist/wet which is not want you want

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
[MENTION=15045]Evilo[/MENTION]

Izzy has a deep pocket too. I always keep at home a prescription ointment I get at her vet called KBT. If you need me to get more information for you I can do that. I buy a syringe with this medication and use when area gets very irritated. If I clean Izzy's 2x a day it will bleed.... so I do 1x every other day. When it gets bad I just use this ointment (it looks like vaseline but it was medication on it) and leave alone for a week. It's wonderful!

She also licks the air... but every time I touch her behind she licks the air! She loves when I do it.... lol.

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
use it for the tail too.... it has a natural drying agent so there is no concerns about the moisture building up again. I know the vet sat to flush with water, but that will keep it moist/wet which is not want you want
I did raise that concern he said the diaper rash cream he recommended is a drying agent. I think I will be trying the witch hazel though as I get what you are saying completely. Now I have the syringes it will be great for getting right in where it's too tight for a human finger. Oh forgot to say he also thought George could loose some weight not a huge amount but a couple of pounds I was a little shocked by that but I will reduce his food a little and I think once he's walking again properly he should be grand.

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
[MENTION=15045]Evilo[/MENTION]

Izzy has a deep pocket too. I always keep at home a prescription ointment I get at her vet called KBT. If you need me to get more information for you I can do that. I buy a syringe with this medication and use when area gets very irritated. If I clean Izzy's 2x a day it will bleed.... so I do 1x every other day. When it gets bad I just use this ointment (it looks like vaseline but it was medication on it) and leave alone for a week. It's wonderful!

She also licks the air... but every time I touch her behind she licks the air! She loves when I do it.... lol.

Yes the vet only recommended we do it twice a week for the moment.
His licking the air was totally unprevoked as in we were walking and he just sat down and started biting at the air exposed his bottom teeth then the licking followed by this excessive drooling (he isn't a drooler at all). I think though it could have been a slight reaction to his worming pills I think.
Thank you for your reply all help is greatly appreciated.

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
image.jpeg
This is George since we got back from the vet yesterday (hope the pic is here) he isn't interested in anything just sitting in his bed either in his crate or in the sitting room he doesn't want to interact with me at all. He just gets up to go to the bathroom or to eat. I hope he just resting to get better and isn't depressed or mad at us for having vets poking at him 😔
Totally unrelated there is a TV show here (well it's from England) called Supervet if anyone is interested in vets and what they can do in general, this guy is an absolute miracle worker (he is Irish btw, Noel Fitzpatrick) you might be able to look it up on YouTube that's were I watch it. If I get no joy with this tail issue in the next few months I will be seeking a referral to this practice in the UK.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.