brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I used cut up hot dogs last night, and he let me swipe his bottom… I had to do it quick thought!!! :whew: Walter was a MESS at the vets, and since she has to get to those anals I just told her to use the soft muzzle.
Ok, so I really think he is acting out because of the pain more than a behavior issue. Just keep sending him to time out when he does it so he know this cannot become an all the time behavior. Poor baby. If you have a lot of work to do maybe you could use a whole hot dog, let lily hold the far end of it and let him munch on it while you take care of business. it works like a charm for us every time.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
JUST got back from the vets and WOW… lots of stuff to tell you guys...

First of all Willow doesn't have a UTI, her urine was clean so this is just behavioral. So I guess it's back to basics for her :stinkeye:

WALTER… well she cleaned his anals again, which she said they were full. We explained what has been going on and she agreed w/us and did a full blood panel, and x-rays on his legs and pelvis area and she also ran a urine test. His x-rays were perfect, we should hear back on the labs by Tues. While we were in the room, Walter was ALL over the tech… giving her loving while she was rubbing him on his neck and near his butt. NO ISSUES AT ALL… then later Ray rubbed by his neck, and Walter went off like he does at home. Luckily for us this time the vet was in the room and saw it all… she had me call this behaviorist in Nashville that runs a program called Dog Speak. She said that this lady was amazing, and she has heard first hand how she has helped some of her harder cases. Pending his blood work results, the vet is thinking that this is behavioral. I just called and left a message at Dog Speak so I will have to let you know how this goes, but apparently the lady does an in home evaluation and then gives you weekly assignments to work on.

The vet wants us to get the lab work back, talk to the behaviorist and she's going to consult w/a neurologist. She wants to get ALL of this information collected first BEFORE we decide on neutering at this point. I feel comfortable w/her decision…

I honestly can NOT believe that this is happening, I just don't understand WHY he has turned on us like this…. Ray & I were talking on the way home, we just don't know what went wrong :(
@bullmama @2BullyMama @brutus77 @TyTysmom @Texas Carol @JennieS @cali baker @Petra @RiiSi [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Good News with Willow!

As for Wally... Only thing i can think of is all the changes at home.... Kids in, kids left, Marcus back...Ray coming and going --- he may be insecure with the current environment and you'll need to give more structure? Nit saying that is it, but all i can think of based on all you have done and described

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Tracey, I know this is all so stressful but first of all, try to not think of it as Walter turning on you and Ray. I know it might seem like he is but Walter must be reacting this way b/c he's feeling some sort of stress and something has been triggering it. He may also sense that you and Ray are maybe apprehensive around him (?)

I think it's great that you're taking steps to contact this behaviorist and also a neurologist. It's so tough when we are met with these challenging behaviors that are loving dogs sometimes exhibit towards us. This morning I had an experience with Finn; he's been in the habit of humping me when I'm laying in bed and this morning he was doing it again. I have to almost peel him off me, and carry him off my body when he does this and I say a very firm and stern "NO!" Well, this a.m. that was met with an angry growl by him. I just stood my ground and turned away from him and left the area where he was. I don't know what I'm doing half the time when Finn challenges me though. I just know that I need to be firm, stand my ground, and let him know that I'm in control and he's not.

I'm so glad Willow doesn't have a UTI. She's so young and smart, she will get the potty training down soon!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Oh Honey, my heart goes out to all of you, including Walter & Willow.

As humans, we tend to blame ourselves for anything & everything.
These bulldogs test us, they are not easy dogs to live with, so many
issues, suddenly too. Like our own children, they take out unhappiness
on US because they can, it's not personal. They feel safe to do so with
us...to let it out. Walter may be reacting but he's not turning on y'all.
Still...it feels that way and your worry & sorrow kills me for y'all. Willow
is probably picking up that tension and her uncertainly is reflected in the
potty arena. We tend to slack off (in worry & sympathy) when really, we
should stay firm, consistent & expecting of obedience. Always able to GIVE
out advice and hard to see issues in our own areas until out of hand.

Be forgiving of yourselves and regain your confidence, y'all have been thru
SO much, Honey. The Vet seems to have this and I like her advice, right on!

Sending big Texas hugs of love, support & strength...one day at a time, right?!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Wow, not again :( I'm wondering if each time Ray leaves and then he comes back Walter feels like Ray is invading his territory. Or was this starting before Ray came home?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
I am in shock and don't even know what to say. He could be reacting to anything, willow too. I think seeing a behaviorist is the best thing you can do. Everyone gave such good advice. I hope that the behaviorist can help and that it's easily fixed.

ugh lady, it's GOING to get better.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Tracey I'm so sorry you guys are going through all this :( really glad it sounds like you have a wonderful vet and I hope the behaviorist is just as awesome. Murray and I are sending lots of love and hugs and healing thoughts your way in the meantime!

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I'm thinking like 2BullyMama, maybe he needs more regularity if possible...:unsure:

The male we rescued, Frasier, would act completely different with different people. With me he was dominant, with Riaan he was sometimes aggressive and around stranger he was an angel (of course). When Riaan started working away from home I couldn't handle him anymore, he scared the crap out of me:( But with our dog trainer he was like a different dog, so strange.

I'm sure the trainer can help you, it got so much better for us with help:hug:

OP
ddnene

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Thank you guys so much for your advice and support :heartsign:

I agree… I think that Walter is reacting to the ever-changing dynamics of the household. Ray is here/gone, Marcus is here/gone… the only constant is me & Lily & Willow now. Wally has been doing this way before Willow got in the picture, but this last time that Ray has been home it has been the worst. He really seems to react to Ray the most, and @cali baker I agree I think that we are now apprehensive around him and I feel like I can't trust him anymore :stinkeye: Apparently this Dog Speak owner utilizes the everything is earned technique that you talk about @2BullyMama so I guess I'll be reading up this weekend. It's funny, I have always taken the dogs to their classes and worked on training… I honestly think that Wally doesn't see Ray as the alpha and he is testing him. I guess the bottom line is WE have to constantly be on top of their behavior, maybe letting them on the furniture was a mistake (Ray's idea). Dogs need to have boundaries, limitations and structure… I think that lately in our household those things have fallen to the waste side.

On another note, I had dinner last night w/my friend who watches my dogs for me when I'm out of town. She told me last night that she absolutely adores Willow, that she is the sweetest bulldog she has even been around and she is super smart!!! Her son got her to use the doggie door in one try, and all the other dogs (males) it took months… Oh WILLOW… Lol :w00t:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Tracey, it will be very interesting to hear what this Dog Speak lady has to say. I think it's so GREAT that you are on top of this right now so that it doesn't progress to anything further. I am very optimistic that Wally will respond well to the training b/c he comes from a loving and nurturing home to begin with. Hang in there and take it step by step. :up:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sorry, I haven't been here-my computer and I are both breaking down! I an so saddened [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] to hear that Walter is having these "spells" again. I have been lucky so far,as I also would not know what to do. I have had quite a few breeds of dog(until they passed)and not all purebreds.Since I usually had 4 or 5 at a time, something like this has never happened.Even used to pick up strays on the road,until Parvo became rampant.I wonder if this can be a more common scenerio in EBd's? Since I have no idea of a solution, I will be praying so much for your family:pray::pray::pray::pray:you know we love you all.:heart:so much!

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Jeez it's one thing after another for you Tracey! Hope you get somewhere with the dog speak training. I can see how if ray isn t around all the time Walter doesn't see him as the alpha male. Maybe he feels he can get away with that behavior around him. Disciplining them is so hard to do..I'm so bad with that. But maybe it's what's needed here with walter now...he's such a handsome bully I hope he comes around!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I really think the trainer will help. I agree with the others, he is confused and guarding you. Poor Wally, and you guys.

mybrindlegirl

May 30, 2015
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Püppy
I'm very sorry you are going thru these worries. Sometimes a person 'from the outside' can detect things and patterns all the ones 'inside' can't see easily because all is so close - I hope the trainer can help :hug:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.