ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Walter has started his growling/snapping stuff again… the metacam didn't really seem to be doing anything, so I stopped giving it to him. He will get this look in his eyes and I can see it coming… ears back, wide eyes and then the growling starts, he jumps up and snaps at his butt. IF you try to look or clean his butt that will start it, and he has two places on his dewlap's (I did get a good look at them to clean them up… they are scabbed over places from where Willow was playing w/him) that will get him going. I yell at him and make him go to his bed/or my bedroom. I'm calling the vet today to take him in and get his anals checked AGAIN and schedule his neuter, I'm honestly SO tired of dealing w/his OCD weird behavior. He also is starting to act odd w/Ray… I may have to get my trainer to do another home visit to make sure that this doesn't get worse.

Willow is starting to pee in the house, and I had JUST gotten to the point where we were having ZERO accidents. I guess I can take her in to the vets as well to make sure she doesn't have a UTI.

Any advice, tips, etc… I'm open to anything at this point. Willow's issue I pretty much expected… I know how this potty training nightmare goes, but Walter's issues are really starting to stress me out. My trainer seems to feel that this is hormonal and that after he's neutered he should calm down some. I just don't know to be be honest, but he has to get neutered anyways. He's 2 years old now, so he's plenty old enough...

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
On no, always something going on:( I don't really have any advice... but it's possible that Willow is just slacking cos she's not watched as carefully anymore. I basically potty trained Alice in less than two weeks but when she's alone she takes chances, or if she's somewhere she's not used to be at.

There must be something going on with Walter, I can't imagine a dog being snappy like that for no reason:unsure: Frasier snapped at my husband a couple of times, especially if he was in the car... but Frasier was abused by a man so that's understandable in a way. He used to act crazy with me too but it was more of a dominance thing.

My Jack Russel from back in the days used to go mental if he slept on my bed and I accidentally pushed him in my sleep. It was scary but he never bit, just flew up and barked, they reason why I don't know...

The only time my dogs have snapped at their butt is if they got a flea bite... but it's winter by you so that can't be. And he just had his glands checked...:unsure: and I assume the doesn't have worms bothering him either, or any poop problem like constipation?

What does the vet think it is?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Oh man. This totally stinks Tracey. I hate hate hate not knowing. I remember how frustrating it was for us when we had no clue what was making Tyson sick. UGH. If he's growling at his butt, what else could it be?!? Is his tail at all rubbing or growing inwards? I feel so horrible for poor Wally.
How has his behavior changing towards Ray? Aggressive? I wonder if something else is bugging him... not his butt per say. Did the vet run full blood panels? Maybe one of his back legs is bothering him? Since he's growling towards his rear? I know I didn't post too much about it, but we were dealing with Tyson lashing out about 2 months ago, he actually fully bit me & Danny. Me - he bit twice, breaking skin, and I have scars on my hands now - he had NEVER ever bitten me before! He had Danny but bc Danny likes to taunt him so he deserved it! Anyway turns out the poor guys arthritis was really hurting him. Once we got him in meds, within 2 weeks he was 100% better and we haven't seen an outbreak since - not to mention he's walking SO much better. So bloodwork, and then xrays I would say.... just to see if anything else is going on. Xray the belly too while you're at it. Unless you have done all this already and I missed it or can't remember!!!

If everything is clear health wise, blood wise, xrays to check legs, belly, etc. Then my next guess would be behaviorist. Ugh. I'm frustrated with you. Poor Wally. I love his face so much.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Bummer:( Both of my boys had a relaps just when I thought they were 100% potty proof. It a while and at around 6 months they were over it. Usko doesn't let me clean his tail and he growls a little when I clean his bum. He let's Miska do it with no problem. Maybe I've been rough on him some time or it's a guy thing, he thinks... How does Walter behave at the vets?

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
On no, always something going on:( I don't really have any advice... but it's possible that Willow is just slacking cos she's not watched as carefully anymore. I basically potty trained Alice in less than two weeks but when she's alone she takes chances, or if she's somewhere she's not used to be at.

There must be something going on with Walter, I can't imagine a dog being snappy like that for no reason:unsure: Frasier snapped at my husband a couple of times, especially if he was in the car... but Frasier was abused by a man so that's understandable in a way. He used to act crazy with me too but it was more of a dominance thing.

My Jack Russel from back in the days used to go mental if he slept on my bed and I accidentally pushed him in my sleep. It was scary but he never bit, just flew up and barked, they reason why I don't know...

The only time my dogs have snapped at their butt is if they got a flea bite... but it's winter by you so that can't be. And he just had his glands checked...:unsure: and I assume the doesn't have worms bothering him either, or any poop problem like constipation?

What does the vet think it is?

The vet believes that it's his anals, and he had a pretty severe infection to the point where they were bleeding. He was actually having loose stools for awhile there, I think because of the metacam so I was giving him some pumpkin so that cleared it up for a bit. But yesterday I noticed that he was loose again… normal stools help to clear out the anals, but when you can't get the anal glands cleared then the problems start. Ugh… it's a never ending cycle.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Since there's been blood, it's been going on for some time and he is clearly atleast uncomfortable can the vet be sure that his anal glands are not ruptured?

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh man. This totally stinks Tracey. I hate hate hate not knowing. I remember how frustrating it was for us when we had no clue what was making Tyson sick. UGH. If he's growling at his butt, what else could it be?!? Is his tail at all rubbing or growing inwards? I feel so horrible for poor Wally.
How has his behavior changing towards Ray? Aggressive? I wonder if something else is bugging him... not his butt per say. Did the vet run full blood panels? Maybe one of his back legs is bothering him? Since he's growling towards his rear? I know I didn't post too much about it, but we were dealing with Tyson lashing out about 2 months ago, he actually fully bit me & Danny. Me - he bit twice, breaking skin, and I have scars on my hands now - he had NEVER ever bitten me before! He had Danny but bc Danny likes to taunt him so he deserved it! Anyway turns out the poor guys arthritis was really hurting him. Once we got him in meds, within 2 weeks he was 100% better and we haven't seen an outbreak since - not to mention he's walking SO much better. So bloodwork, and then xrays I would say.... just to see if anything else is going on. Xray the belly too while you're at it. Unless you have done all this already and I missed it or can't remember!!!

If everything is clear health wise, blood wise, xrays to check legs, belly, etc. Then my next guess would be behaviorist. Ugh. I'm frustrated with you. Poor Wally. I love his face so much.

I don't think it's his tail, it seems to be normal…

Walter has started growling at Ray… if he walks UP to Ray for attention then it's fine, but if Ray goes to him to pet him anywhere by his scabs, butt or even looking at his rear he will start growling. He hasn't bitten anyone YET… but he has snapped at me, Ray and Lily. With me & Lily it's always been related to cleaning his butt, or he feel asleep and we were next to him and he did the growl and jump at his butt thing. Whenever he does the growl/snap thing I send him immediately to his bed or my bedroom for a timeout. He puts his head down and goes w/no issue… he KNOWS he's in trouble.

I agree w/everything you are saying… IF his anals are not bad this time I'm going to tell her to do the blood panel and x-rays. His leg will go stiff whenever he has one of these episodes, and Ray mentioned that he thought he was having a leg cramp. But when the vet got ahold of him the first time his anals were a mess so we thought that was the issue.

Oh I'm SO sorry to hear that Tyson bit you, but I'm glad that you got everything figured out.

I also think that we are on edge w/him because we don't know what he's going to do and he senses that… at first I got really upset about it, and now I get REALLY angry and yell at him. I know that NONE of this is helping the situation, but dang it we have NEVER hurt this dog EVER!!!

I got an appointment for tomorrow afternoon for both of them… hopefully we can figure this nightmare out and SOON!!! :(

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Since there's been blood, it's been going on for some time and he is clearly atleast uncomfortable can the vet be sure that his anal glands are not ruptured?

She felt in there when he was bleeding, and she didn't say they had ruptured… I would assume she would have suggested surgery at that point. The last time I took him in she expressed them, and didn't mention that they were "bad" she just said that since he had such a bad infection prior he was still in pain. That was when we started the metacam… I just gave him some this morning to see if he mellows out. I will ask her tomorrow if she thinks that one of them ruptured… Ugh!

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bummer:( Both of my boys had a relaps just when I thought they were 100% potty proof. It a while and at around 6 months they were over it. Usko doesn't let me clean his tail and he growls a little when I clean his bum. He let's Miska do it with no problem. Maybe I've been rough on him some time or it's a guy thing, he thinks... How does Walter behave at the vets?

Wally normally is fine at the vets, but they have had to soft muzzle him while doing his anals… he lunged up one time, and I insisted on the muzzle. He just growls the entire time, and gets foamy but that's about it. The vet is really great about giving him loving afterwards and a treat… she doesn't want him to start having issues seeing her because of this :(

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I don't think it's his tail, it seems to be normal…

Walter has started growling at Ray… if he walks UP to Ray for attention then it's fine, but if Ray goes to him to pet him anywhere by his scabs, butt or even looking at his rear he will start growling. He hasn't bitten anyone YET… but he has snapped at me, Ray and Lily. With me & Lily it's always been related to cleaning his butt, or he feel asleep and we were next to him and he did the growl and jump at his butt thing. Whenever he does the growl/snap thing I send him immediately to his bed or my bedroom for a timeout. He puts his head down and goes w/no issue… he KNOWS he's in trouble.

I agree w/everything you are saying… IF his anals are not bad this time I'm going to tell her to do the blood panel and x-rays. His leg will go stiff whenever he has one of these episodes, and Ray mentioned that he thought he was having a leg cramp. But when the vet got ahold of him the first time his anals were a mess so we thought that was the issue.

Oh I'm SO sorry to hear that Tyson bit you, but I'm glad that you got everything figured out.

I also think that we are on edge w/him because we don't know what he's going to do and he senses that… at first I got really upset about it, and now I get REALLY angry and yell at him. I know that NONE of this is helping the situation, but dang it we have NEVER hurt this dog EVER!!!

I got an appointment for tomorrow afternoon for both of them… hopefully we can figure this nightmare out and SOON!!! :(

Yeah, I'm really wondering if something is going on with a leg or hip. And your right - I got so angry when Tyson bit me, I was literally pissed.... after I calmed down I realized that he has no other way to communicate his pain to me. It's sad... but that's all we get, and we can't really get mad at them. I agree with moving forward on blood and xrays. I know he's young but honestly he can still have arthritis or maybe he pulled/tore something. The xrays will tell you that for sure, especially if you say his leg is going stiff. Just remember he's not doing intentionally if something is really hurting him. :(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:ponder: isn't there a new house guest ?

Also, when correcting him, are you really raising your voice (yelling) or just being firm with him?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
She felt in there when he was bleeding, and she didn't say they had ruptured… I would assume she would have suggested surgery at that point. The last time I took him in she expressed them, and didn't mention that they were "bad" she just said that since he had such a bad infection prior he was still in pain. That was when we started the metacam… I just gave him some this morning to see if he mellows out. I will ask her tomorrow if she thinks that one of them ruptured… Ugh!
How did Walter act when the vet was messing aroung back there? Can you redirect him with cheese and someone else takes care of the behind? Brutus is a two man job. If he has an ear infection, One of us has to distract with cheese in front of his face and the other puts the drops in. If it is just ear cleaner and no infection, I can do that alone. If he is in pain he will try to bite if I do it alone. Before he had such an infection, were you able to clean his butt by yourself with no issues? He is probably associating pain to it now.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
:ponder: isn't there a new house guest ?

Also, when correcting him, are you really raising your voice (yelling) or just being firm with him?

Yes Marcus is living here for now BUT this has been going on for months… sometimes I do YELL because I'm SO angry at his madness, but there are times when I'm using my OBEY ME voice!!! Lol

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
How did Walter act when the vet was messing aroung back there? Can you redirect him with cheese and someone else takes care of the behind? Brutus is a two man job. If he has an ear infection, One of us has to distract with cheese in front of his face and the other puts the drops in. If it is just ear cleaner and no infection, I can do that alone. If he is in pain he will try to bite if I do it alone. Before he had such an infection, were you able to clean his butt by yourself with no issues? He is probably associating pain to it now.

I used cut up hot dogs last night, and he let me swipe his bottom… I had to do it quick thought!!! :whew: Walter was a MESS at the vets, and since she has to get to those anals I just told her to use the soft muzzle.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.