New To English Bulldogs

eric1111

Feb 28, 2011
Me and my wife wanted a English Bulldog for the longest time. Now we are ready to get one. We found a great breeder from the BCA website. I spoke to the lady yesterday and she had one beautiful female left, which is what we want. Now I keep hearing so many horror stories about them having bad health problems. What she we do. Thanks.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Well if you get the dog from a reputable breeder off that list you should be in fairly good shape as far as health goes. There are no guarantees of course and any dog can cost a decent amount in vet bills, let alone a bully. You should first consider getting pet health insurance if this is an issue for you. Actually first you need to be realistic and think how devoted are you to wanting a bulldog. What would happen if you did have health problems? I mean getting the bully from a good breeder will help cut down the odds of hip problems and other reg bully health issues BUT there is always that chance of them swallowing something and needing surgery etc. If this isnt something you are willing to accept right now as a possibility then maybe you should wait and save up some money to keep as an emergency fund for just in case. My boy came from a good breeder and thankfully we havent had any real health problem yet and he is over 5. Doesnt mean it wont happen still tho. There are so many bullies that end up in shelters because people cant afford to keep up with their upkeep costs or arent willing to do what is necessary to keep them healthy. Before buying a bully you have to know for sure that you are willing to do whatever it takes to keep it happy and healthy.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh also, thanks for asking questions now, before you buy your baby. I wish more people took the time to do their research before buying.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
You are right to do all your research now, and it is true that you have to be prepared to spend more on medical bills than you do on the actual puppy. That isn't always the case and there are a lot of members on here who will tell you that they have been very lucky and not had any health problems. However, as [MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] said - you may want to consider getting an emergency fund together or researching good pet insurance because if the thought of it is already freaking you out a bit, then you will feel happier knowing that you are prepared.

More than many other breeds, english bulldogs have special needs, but what you spend in time, money and effort is rewarded a thousand times more by the experience of being a bully-owner. It is a very special thing indeed.

My advice to you is to proceed ONLY when you know you are ready .... maybe now is not the time and maybe it is, but the more you research then the closer you will get to that point of knowing.

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
Jennifer gave good advice...That you found what seems to be a reputable breeder is the step in the right direction. As to medical bills...I agree there are no guarantees...Three years ago our Tank needed both ACL's repaired...a costly expense. You just never know...Sarge our other bulldog he's 5 yrs. old and has never had even an ear infection. But again...you just never know even with a reputable breeder, bulldogs are known for certain issues. Your chances are as mentioned above...less of a risk but still can apply.

Also...If you feel you can do the maintenance with the wrinkles and such...I say..."GO FOR IT"! You've done some homework to have found yourself a reputable breeder...And that's half the battle there...I've been blessed with bulldogs over 20 + years...And as long as you go in with your eyes wide open...you won't be in for any real surprises.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I agree with the rest above.

If you are very concerned about vet bills but still want an EB, I highly recommend getting pet insurance right away. Read the fine print on the coverage as well. You can always cancel once you feel comfortable with any health costs.

As you may have read on the other posts, finding the right food for your bully can clear most of health problems your bully may have - from wrinkles, smell, allergies, etc.

I don't ever regret getting my bully, Stig. He had allergy issues when we first got him, but it's now controlled thanks to finding the right diet for him. We're now at a point where I'm debating keeping his health insurance.

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
I agree with the rest above.

If you are very concerned about vet bills but still want an EB, I highly recommend getting pet insurance right away. Read the fine print on the coverage as well. You can always cancel once you feel comfortable with any health costs.

As you may have read on the other posts, finding the right food for your bully can clear most of health problems your bully may have - from wrinkles, smell, allergies, etc.

I don't ever regret getting my bully, Stig. He had allergy issues when we first got him, but it's now controlled thanks to finding the right diet for him. We're now at a point where I'm debating keeping his health insurance.

We dropped our pet insurance after Tank being attacked by a swarm of bees and taking him to the EM vet...and having the insurance say..."ALLERGY RELATED" and...not covering it. Due to we didn't have insurance on him when he was a pup but got it after he had allergies. I explained...even if a person was NOT allergic...getting stung by that many bees one would seek medical attention! :angry: After that mess...we dropped it. Just because we were angry...and hadn't used it and when we needed it...they refused us. A few months later...Tank tore BOTH his ACL's...it would have been nice to have them cover some of that medical expense...but with all their loops holes...Who knows...We no longer have pet insurance...due to being some what financially comfortable...and can take out of money we have in savings and what have you. For someone without a cushion...I would suggest really thinking about pet insurance...Though for major surgeries...they do have a sort of "credit card" that will figure in the medical expense for the procedure...and allow you so long before interest is then added to your bill. So you do have time to pay it off. One just has to see which one suits them...for having a pet you must accept that at some time or other you'll have medical bills for them.

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
You have already got some great advice and what a better place to get it! They are right you need to be ready to make a lifelong and financial commitment. Like I have read many times the cheapest part of owning a bully is the purchase cost. I have wanted one my entire life and I have never been happier since I did it. There is something special about a bully and I have had many other breeds, animals, etc and there is absolutely no comparison to the bond and love I have for my baby bully!! Chaos is only ten weeks old and has double ear infections and is currently being monitored for food allergies and was puchased from the best breeder. If you can handle all this plus the daily care involved, go for it , its awesome to be owned by a bully :luv:

Last edited:

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
Me and my wife wanted a English Bulldog for the longest time. Now we are ready to get one. We found a great breeder from the BCA website. I spoke to the lady yesterday and she had one beautiful female left, which is what we want. Now I keep hearing so many horror stories about them having bad health problems. What she we do. Thanks.

Please take the time to look at this link...it lists QUESTIONS to ask the breeder...I especially like the first question it lists.

• Can I have the name and number of your veterinarian? (Call the vet, find out if there has been any health issues- the breeder may have to give permission to disclose this information, but should have no reason not to)
    Find out a little about the vet too!

English Bulldog News Forums ~ For Information, Advice, Friendships and Fun - English Bulldog Puppy Buying Tips

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I totally agree with asking who the breeders vet is. I did before we got Gator and was reassured by the info we received.

OP
E

eric1111

Feb 28, 2011
What Kind of food would you recommend to use. Right now i feed mt rotti Blue Buffolo

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
Owning a bully is like having a baby. You really have to be committed ..you don't just give them back or abandon them or expect them to take care of themselves.. You really have to check their tails . We learned that from our first bully Cassie. She had what is called a pocket tail. Just a little nub that sat flat against her butt. Not knowing about the breed we didn't know we would have to clean under her tail DAILY. Terrible infection , but we learned you have to clean their butt regularly with that kind of tail and if they have deep wrinkles around the face you also have to care for them. Our Belly has a great tail now... no pocket tail or corkscrew , it stands away from her butt and has a little bend to it. AKC standards for a bully are a corkscrew tail. But you have to clean a corkscrew tail. They are not a low maintenance dog. You have to be careful with them in the heat, they can have food allergies and prone to getting dermatitis if the wrinkles and butt isn't taken care of. When my friends see Annabella they all say "AWWW! I want a bulldog so bad!!" I say " You know you have to wipe their butt every time they :poo: " That usually changes their mind.

If you are really committed to taking on the responsibility (both financial and physical) they are the most rewarding dog you'll probably ever own. A bunch of us on here love Fromm dog food.You can see the dog food ratings here Dog Food Ratings at English Bulldog News You just have to start with one and see how your dog likes it and does on it. Some have issues with grain or chicken. Just trial and error till you find that magical food that your puppy will do well on.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.