Hives! Please calm my nerves a little...

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
This morning Boeboe's back broke out with hives, she weighs 65 pounds so I gave her 2 x 25 mg Benadryl that I got from Cheryl, thanks again:). I have no clue why this happened now:( I did give her some meat with her food this morning... but she's had that millions of times before... Maybe it's a flea bite... I'm such a basket case when it comes to my dogs:scared: Did I do the right thing giving her Benadryl for this? It's my first time:ashamed:

Boeboe's taking it easy, she doesn't really seem bothered about the hives, but I can tell it's itching when I touch the bumps:( I've been staring at her now for over an hour and it doesn't seem to get worse... or better... but I only gave her the Benadryl about 30 minutes ago.

2016-02-29 07.33.22.jpg

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Big hugs for you, Petra and take big, deep breaths, Honey.

You did the right thing & Boeboe is fine, it takes time for meds to work
and even might take a couple weeks for hives to completely go away.
I think you can give the meds every 12 hours, hopefully more experienced
members can advise you on how often to give.

Yes, an insect bite can bring hives on, even one flea if they're susceptible.

Praying over you both right now & sending LOVE...let us know how she does!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
It has happened to both of my boys a couple of times and we never did find out what caused the out breaks. The first time Usko's face was swallen too. Never were they bothered by it and I was a wreck the first time. I gave them both some allergie meds and it cleared up uneventfully. So I'm sure you can take it easy too:hug:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I'm sorry your going through the this worry, but everyone above is right, hives are an allergic reaction to something, and sometimes you never figure out what caused them. Dozed woke up,with hives a couple of years ago and I gave him Benadryl. The hives lasted for 3 days, and I don't know if he got stung by a wasp or bee, or whether he got bit by an ant or if he ate something? I never did know what caused them. The only time you have to worry about an allergic reaction is if their face, eyes or mouth swell, which could indicate a more severe reaction, and then you also want to watch out for difficulty with their breathing if the throat swells, in which case you should take him to the vet right away. Most allergic reactions cause just hives and go away on their on and are not dangerous.

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks everyone :heart::) Boeboe is still fine, she's been sleeping all morning but that's normal for her. Nothing is swollen, it's just the hives on her back, so I'm thinking as long as it doesn't get worse we can skip a trip to the vet.

I read that Benadryl is given every 8 hours... but I think I'll wait 12 hours and give her for the night if the hives aren't gone by then:unsure:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks everyone :heart::) Boeboe is still fine, she's been sleeping all morning but that's normal for her. Nothing is swollen, it's just the hives on her back, so I'm thinking as long as it doesn't get worse we can skip a trip to the vet.

I read that Benadryl is given every 8 hours... but I think I'll wait 12 hours and give her for the night if the hives aren't gone by then:unsure:

How is she doing? Did the Benedryl help?

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
How is she doing? Did the Benedryl help?

Yes! I think it looks better, hard to tell... but at least it's not getting any worse:) She's had hives before and then it usually breaks out on her face as well but noting there yet:)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes! I think it looks better, hard to tell... but at least it's not getting any worse:) She's had hives before and then it usually breaks out on her face as well but noting there yet:)

Good to hear.... keep with the Benedryl, it will help them stay away and her not itch

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Poor baby, this has happened to us before too, and you did perfect giving the Benadryl. Sometimes it can take a while for the hives to go away, but as long as she's okay, not getting worse and breathing is fine - rest easy friend :) Keep us posted on her!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
As long as the hives are not getting worse, she should be fine. [MENTION=7710]Petra[/MENTION] So happy (thaks to Cheryl) that you have Benedryl to deal with it. One of mine is allergic to a wasp sting,and even her whole face swells. I have to give Benedryl and prednisone,which I keep on hand. Prayers for your gal,all will be well.(more prayers for you!)

Lena3220

Oct 1, 2015
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Manu
Currently dealing with this problem on my bully. He woke up today scratching so much, and then later in the afternoon he broke out. I'm worried because it seems to be spreading within just a day. He was out in some tall grass yesterday and not sure if he hit a bad patch or found some ants? I gave him a Benadryl and treating him to a warm oatmeal bath now to comfort him�� image.jpeg

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Currently dealing with this problem on my bully. He woke up today scratching so much, and then later in the afternoon he broke out. I'm worried because it seems to be spreading within just a day. He was out in some tall grass yesterday and not sure if he hit a bad patch or found some ants? I gave him a Benadryl and treating him to a warm oatmeal bath now to comfort him�� View attachment 98310

Aww poor baby. Dozer has had hives before as well, and we never found out what caused them, only guessed that it might have been a wasp bite in the grass. We gave him Benadryl, and just observed him for any swelling of his face, eyes or tongue, and we watched his breathing to make sure he wasn't having any reactions which caused swelling of his throat.
Ne was fine on the Benadryl, and it took 3 days for the hives to fully clear up. Hives are an allergic reaction to something, and we don't always know what the cause is. It can be from environmental causes from grasses, or from a bug bite, an ant bite, spider bites, or a wasp or bee sting. In most cases the Benadryl will help with the symptoms of itching and swelling and the hives will clear up in a few days. Keep an eye on him for more serious symptoms like the face and eyes swelling and any difficulty with breathing. This requires an immediate visit to the vet. I hope he feels better soon, and it clears up quickly, I'm sure a soothing oatmeal bath will help him.

Lena3220

Oct 1, 2015
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Manu
Aww poor baby. Dozer has had hives before as well, and we never found out what caused them, only guessed that it might have been a wasp bite in the grass. We gave him Benadryl, and just observed him for any swelling of his face, eyes or tongue, and we watched his breathing to make sure he wasn't having any reactions which caused swelling of his throat.
Ne was fine on the Benadryl, and it took 3 days for the hives to fully clear up. Hives are an allergic reaction to something, and we don't always know what the cause is. It can be from environmental causes from grasses, or from a bug bite, an ant bite, spider bites, or a wasp or bee sting. In most cases the Benadryl will help with the symptoms of itching and swelling and the hives will clear up in a few days. Keep an eye on him for more serious symptoms like the face and eyes swelling and any difficulty with breathing. This requires an immediate visit to the vet. I hope he feels better soon, and it clears up quickly, I'm sure a soothing oatmeal bath will help him.

Thank you for all the kind words and encouragement! It seems to be steering clear of his eyes - thank goodness! Hoping these next couple days with the Benadryl will do the trick:scared:

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for all the kind words and encouragement! It seems to be steering clear of his eyes - thank goodness! Hoping these next couple days with the Benadryl will do the trick:scared:

Hope it helps, I know the feeling:hug:

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey

Good Morning Lena, Is your little one any better? How are you holding up? Prayers for you both!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online