Cuddles116

Jan 15, 2013
Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock & Brink
Hello Everyone,

I need some thoughts on what may be going on with my Brock. A little background info, a little over 3 weeks ago he had this event where for a day he was puking yellow and not taking in any food or water, and was doing a ton of downward dog/play position stretching, and had a very very small slimy poop, we called the vet and went in and the vet gave him a shot to stop the vomiting told us to bring him back in if he puked again that night and a packet of Cerenia to give him the following morning. After the night passed I gave him the Cerenia, hand fed him a few things as he wouldn't really eat, gave him some pedialyte as he wouldn't touch his water and then that night he started eating and drinking again. The result was good poops, good appetite, overall a happy charming bulldog. So we thought maybe he got into something that we never figured out since he is walked on leash and supervised.

Come to today, this morning he puked two piles of yellow at 745, started doing downward dog stretches again (like 10 in a row) then vomited 3 piles of white foam at 220pm, I am waiting for the vet to call me back but does anyone have any ideas what could be going on? He isn't really acting different then usual just not eating or drinking again and stretching and puking.

Pic of the 3 piles of foam for reference 20160226_141726_resized.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi there ---- good to see you sorry Brock is not doing well ...... Any type of activity prior to the foam puke? ow old is he now?

OP
Cuddles116

Cuddles116

Jan 15, 2013
Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock & Brink
He's 3 now, nothing going on activity wise for him, he ate some snow a few days ago but otherwise he is leash walked outside and has had the same food and snacks for a while now. He ate his dinner and woke up and then didn't eat and the puking and stretching followed. He did just have another good poop it's just so worrisome that this puking just happens

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He's 3 now, nothing going on activity wise for him, he ate some snow a few days ago but otherwise he is leash walked outside and has had the same food and snacks for a while now. He ate his dinner and woke up and then didn't eat and the puking and stretching followed. He did just have another good poop it's just so worrisome that this puking just happens

Any chance the snow had 'salt' in it from the side walks?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

Hi!!! Nice to see you and so sorry Brock isn't feeling good today.

If he doesn't eat.... he will vomit bc his tummy is empty .... what times of the day do you usually do his feedings?

I would like to see if we can find out why he is vomiting to find the cause, instead of treating the symptoms with a quick fix. So why is he refusing.... absolutely no chance he got into something?

OP
Cuddles116

Cuddles116

Jan 15, 2013
Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock & Brink
I know ive been super absent on thr boards, i had a non fur baby almost 5 months and she is a handful =)

He couldn't have gotten into regular salt we only use pet safe ice melt so if he licked up some of that or his paws afterwards it shouldn't cause this another day later.

The vet said to give him a cerenia after getting back to me but that continues my I wonder what causes this to happen.

I am currently making a steak to see if he will eat a little of that with a handful of kibble to see if we can keep something down before going this pill route.

He usually gets a morning and evening feeding and on days he doesn't eat his breakfast he eats his dinner so I'm hoping to get something into him so his stomach isn't so empty

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I know ive been super absent on thr boards, i had a non fur baby almost 5 months and she is a handful =)

He couldn't have gotten into regular salt we only use pet safe ice melt so if he licked up some of that or his paws afterwards it shouldn't cause this another day later.

The vet said to give him a cerenia after getting back to me but that continues my I wonder what causes this to happen.

I am currently making a steak to see if he will eat a little of that with a handful of kibble to see if we can keep something down before going this pill route.

He usually gets a morning and evening feeding and on days he doesn't eat his breakfast he eats his dinner so I'm hoping to get something into him so his stomach isn't so empty

Congrats on your little girl!!

Yea -- I would go bland diet for a couple days an try to work the kibble back in. What kibble are you feeding?

OP
Cuddles116

Cuddles116

Jan 15, 2013
Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock & Brink
Well we didn't get to dinner he super puked yellow liquid while I was cutting his steak -.- so I did give him a cerenia pill wrapped on steak, which he woofed down so he wants food I just don't know why it won't stay on him

He is on lamb and lentil fromm

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I'm not sure I agree with the pill to stop his vomiting (especially that 1st visit)
unless it's constant & massive vomits. Reason being, it could be something needed
to get out of system. But, it seems not the reason so...I think bland diet for 3 or 4
days. A tip for refusel to eat, try to give broth and/or ice cubes to hydrate them.
Good luck & let us know how Brock does.

Congratulations on new Baby!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I'm not sure I agree with the pill to stop his vomiting (especially that 1st visit)
unless it's constant & massive vomits. Reason being, it could be something needed
to get out of system. But, it seems not the reason so...I think bland diet for 3 or 4
days. A tip for refusel to eat, try to give broth and/or ice cubes to hydrate them.
Good luck & let us know how Brock does.

Congratulations on new Baby!

I agree with this, try the bland diet and if that doesn't work, he may need an X-ray to find out what's going on.

Also, how long has he been in lamb and lentil? Lamb may not be a protein he tolerates.

Another thing you can do is give him s small snack at bedtime. Loads of bulldog owners give yogurt right before bed, or a rice cake, a few treats, ect.

That helps with early morning nasea. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Cuddles116

Cuddles116

Jan 15, 2013
Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock & Brink
:gloom: Well Brock wants to eat and drink it just isn't staying down. He puked up the steak wrap that was around his pill, I didn't see the pill though and he has tried to drink water, once at 7 and he puked it up at 730 so I'm not sure what is up with that tummy of his at the moment, poor little guy.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Just catching up, at this point I'd be asking for X-rays to see if he has something in his belly. This sounds like what happened to Tyson. He ended up having 3 socks in his stomach!

OP
Cuddles116

Cuddles116

Jan 15, 2013
Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock & Brink
Just catching up, at this point I'd be asking for X-rays to see if he has something in his belly. This sounds like what happened to Tyson. He ended up having 3 socks in his stomach!

Did Tyson have a previous similar episode or was it just a one time thing?

The first time they were going to do an xray if he didn't eat to see if anything was there but then he did and kept everything down and was fine for the 3 weeks so I wanted to know if you had a long delay with symptoms as well do I can insist on an xray sooner rather than later.

I am calling bright and early in the morning to see what their plans are since if anything I want to make sure with all this puking he doesn't need them to give him fluids.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Did Tyson have a previous similar episode or was it just a one time thing?

The first time they were going to do an xray if he didn't eat to see if anything was there but then he did and kept everything down and was fine for the 3 weeks so I wanted to know if you had a long delay with symptoms as well do I can insist on an xray sooner rather than later.

I am calling bright and early in the morning to see what their plans are since if anything I want to make sure with all this puking he doesn't need them to give him fluids.

There was a long delay, and he never really lost his appetite. We suspect he must have eaten the socks around Thanksgiving - we didn't fully discover anything until he vomited the first one a day before Christmas!!! Then he vomited the 2nd sock the next day. We thought for sure we were in the clear - but he continued to be sick & vomit - 3 sets of X-rays, and 2 ultrasounds found nothing after the first 2 socks were out. It wasn't until we did a barium swallow that "something" got surrounded by the barium. He was never fully obstructed - they said they had to go in to see what it was, ended up being a 3rd sock! This one however wouldn't have come out on its own - because it had adhered to his stomach already. They had to peel it off!!! Had we not done the surgery, his body would have eventually become septic.
[emoji17] I still remember the feeling how awful.
Not to alarm you of course but what your describing is how it started with Tyson. He was always still hungry. Started with bile, then foam, we did the cerenia, the Pepcid, everything. He'd be good for a bit then it would start again, and then he started to not be able to keep food down anymore either that's when vet said "barium"

I'd push for X-rays now sooner than later. I really hope & pray it's not your case but just sounds very familiar...keep us posted!

OP
Cuddles116

Cuddles116

Jan 15, 2013
Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock & Brink
There was a long delay, and he never really lost his appetite. We suspect he must have eaten the socks around Thanksgiving - we didn't fully discover anything until he vomited the first one a day before Christmas!!! Then he vomited the 2nd sock the next day. We thought for sure we were in the clear - but he continued to be sick & vomit - 3 sets of X-rays, and 2 ultrasounds found nothing after the first 2 socks were out. It wasn't until we did a barium swallow that "something" got surrounded by the barium. He was never fully obstructed - they said they had to go in to see what it was, ended up being a 3rd sock! This one however wouldn't have come out on its own - because it had adhered to his stomach already. They had to peel it off!!! Had we not done the surgery, his body would have eventually become septic.
[emoji17] I still remember the feeling how awful.
Not to alarm you of course but what your describing is how it started with Tyson. He was always still hungry. Started with bile, then foam, we did the cerenia, the Pepcid, everything. He'd be good for a bit then it would start again, and then he started to not be able to keep food down anymore either that's when vet said "barium"

I'd push for X-rays now sooner than later. I really hope & pray it's not your case but just sounds very familiar...keep us posted!

That is super useful information!

It came out of the blue the first time and this time and i never really got a satisfactory answer really, they just ruled out parasites with a fecal test and ruled out abdominal pain the first time. Brock isn't usually into anything, hes fussy about food and toys, but I know there can always be the time that's not true

Members online

No members online now.