Worried Mom of Sophie

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
Sophie was spayed one week ago, and I thought she had been recovering nicely. She has been feeling well, and she and Tucker are back to their usual hijinx. (He had cherry eye surgery the same day.)

However, today I am noticing a large hard knot, just under her incision area. It is about the size of a baseball, but it doesn't see to bother her. I called the vet, and the girl who answered said it could be an umbilical hernia and that I could bring her in Monday. I'm worried she needs to be seen sooner. Does anyone know what this is or what I should do?

Sophie tummy.JPG

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
it does look like a hernia.... i have no experience with them, but I do not think they are life threatening. Going to tag a few people to see if they can give some insight

OP
Mom of Tucker

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
it does look like a hernia.... i have no experience with them, but I do not think they are life threatening. Going to tag a few people to see if they can give some insight

Thanks. I just hope she doesn't need more surgery. I'm trying to limit her activity, but she wants to play with brother Tucker.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hi! This is likely NOT a hernia.... I have experienced a similar looking lump after c-sections. It is just filled with fluid.

Can you please take a photo of it with her lying on her back? This angle it looks much larger than the ones I have seen, but I've always looked on their backs.

IF it is just fluid (Your vet can take a sample to check) it will just go away on it's own. I forget what he called it, but it is very common after spays and c-sections.

Mlee1

Jun 7, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brodie and Connor
After having surgery on his abdomen, Connor also had a fluid pocket form. The vet said that it may have been an allergic reaction to the stitches. The fluid had to be drained out with a syringe. The vet said that it might have to be drained again, but it only had to be drained that one time.

OP
Mom of Tucker

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION], this is a picture of her on her side. I was holding her leg up. That is Tucker's tail behind her other leg :)

image.jpeg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes it's a pretty big pocket, I wish I knew what he called it so you could google it. I would certainly bring her in to see your vet since it's pretty big, or you could wait a couple of days and see if it changes. The ones I've had/seen took a few weeks to go away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Mom of Tucker

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes it's a pretty big pocket, I wish I knew what he called it so you could google it. I would certainly bring her in to see your vet since it's pretty big, or you could wait a couple of days and see if it changes. The ones I've had/seen took a few weeks to go away.

Is it called a seroma? I just googled, and that came up.

I wonder if she got to rowdy with Tucker too soon? Or maybe going up and down the stairs to get in and out of my bed caused it?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Is it called a seroma? I just googled, and that came up.

I wonder if she got to rowdy with Tucker too soon? Or maybe going up and down the stairs to get in and out of my bed caused it?

Yes! Now that you say it I want to say sarcoma, but yes I'm sure that's exactly what it is. Thank you!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
It's most likely Seroma and it should resolve it self. But if there's any redness, swelling, pain, or drainage from the incision then it could be more serious.

OP
Mom of Tucker

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
It's most likely Seroma and it should resolve it self. But if there's any redness, swelling, pain, or drainage from the incision then it could be more serious.

The area is actually smaller this morning. I think you are right, in that it will resolve itself. I plan to have her rest today and see if it goes away.

Thanks for your advice!

mybrindlegirl

May 30, 2015
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Püppy
I can't be any help, I know nothing of seroma
I hope sweet little Sophie feels better soon and that it will resolve without any complications :hug:

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online