TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Is this the first time it's happened?

Run your fingers throughout all his mouth & gums. Tyson gets my hair & his hair in there and sometimes does that.

Also check the tail pocket. Make sure it's clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Thanks Jess, checked his mouth no hair and I cleaned his tail pocket. I'm wondering if maybe it's related to his food, it seems to happen mostly after he eats. We switched from blue wildnerness duck (bad tear stains) to Fromm pork and peas (slightly better but still not great tear stains) then at some point around there we switched to lamb and lentil which I thought was the culprit of the licking so I switched him to beef frittata but it hasn't made a difference. I did just clean his tail pocket I always clean it at least once in the morning and once again before bed...now he's not licking the air but trying desperately to lick under the couch

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
...then he tires himself out and lays down, like he would after playing

codered

Feb 25, 2016
panhandle of Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diamond
diamond does the same, i keep her clean. but she has a skin infection and ear infection that keeps coming back so i'm guessing it's that. I hear some people say it's annoying but it's cute to me and i smile when she does it.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thanks Jess, checked his mouth no hair and I cleaned his tail pocket. I'm wondering if maybe it's related to his food, it seems to happen mostly after he eats. We switched from blue wildnerness duck (bad tear stains) to Fromm pork and peas (slightly better but still not great tear stains) then at some point around there we switched to lamb and lentil which I thought was the culprit of the licking so I switched him to beef frittata but it hasn't made a difference. I did just clean his tail pocket I always clean it at least once in the morning and once again before bed...now he's not licking the air but trying desperately to lick under the couch

It could be food related if all others are clear. It could also be a slight form of tremors (don't panic!) if he tends to do it more after eating, I'd maybe start a trial - maybe do a bland diet for the next week, lean beef/rice and see if he continues doing it. If not then you know it's something in the kibble & you'll have to start food trials :/
If he continues to do it even while on bland, then monitor it, record it like you have & have the vet take a look.

Has he always always done it?

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
He did it only occasionally on the blue wilderness but if I go back to that I'll have to try another flavor because man those tear stains were awful. Or maybe I should switch him back to a different kind of taste of the wild? He did great on that as a puppy until he decided he was sick of it and stopped eating it :( these babies, love them dearly but it's so hard getting the right good combo! I can't recall him doing it on the puppy food but I don't believe he did

Last edited:

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
He did it only occasionally on the blue wilderness but if I go back to that I'll have to try another flavor because man those tear stains were awful. Or maybe I should switch him back to a different kind of taste of the wild? He did great on that as a puppy until he decided he was sick of it and stopped eating it :( these babies, love them dearly but it's so hard getting the right good combo! I can't recall him doing it on the puppy food but I don't believe he did

I had to go through about 10 different kibbles before I determined Tyson just didn't do well on any.
He's on The Honest Kitchen now, the Kindly base & I add in extra lean ground beef. It's the only thing that has been great for us. All his issues cleared up, poop is solid & he's lost a few lbs! All a plus for us.
You need to get down into the details on each food you have fed. And find the common factors in each. Example: peas, potato, etc? See if you can find one or more common factors and then the next food you try - find one without those things.
Have you had his anal glands expressed? Does he do it on his own or need to have it done? That may be another trigger for the licking..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
...should I be worried?

I can't hear the sound on the video so, apologize for asking, but is he responsive to you calling him?

Jessica got all the questions I was going to ask... tail pocket anal glands, which would be an itch he can not get to

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=14810]CCandMurray[/MENTION]

Carolyn, Not sure if this is the same, but......a friend of mine had a boxer that I would keep to fill my dog fix (before Joey) and she would do the crazy lick thing, first in the air then go around the room and lick the carpet at the baseboard. She was having indigestion, when this started I gave her 2 tums, this was first at her vet's suggestion and boom, it worked. Just a thought.

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I can't hear the sound on the video so, apologize for asking, but is he responsive to you calling him?

Jessica got all the questions I was going to ask... tail pocket anal glands, which would be an itch he can not get to

He is responsive when I call him. This going to sound silly but I do get him to stop if I mimick the behavior, then he just looks at me like, 'what are you doing??' Lol. He also will stop if I redirect him with an antler and he'll chew on that. Going to have his nails clipped this afternoon I'll have them check on the anal glands too

- - - Updated - - -

[MENTION=14810]CCandMurray[/MENTION]

Carolyn, Not sure if this is the same, but......a friend of mine had a boxer that I would keep to fill my dog fix (before Joey) and she would do the crazy lick thing, first in the air then go around the room and lick the carpet at the baseboard. She was having indigestion, when this started I gave her 2 tums, this was first at her vet's suggestion and boom, it worked. Just a thought.
This is worth a try! I will pick some up when I go out later today thanks :)

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
He had his anal glands expressed, the vets office said that could be why he's been licking so I guess now we wait to see what happens after dinner time. They also scolded me at the vet because he weighs 54 pounds and they say that's too much :(

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
He had his anal glands expressed, the vets office said that could be why he's been licking so I guess now we wait to see what happens after dinner time. They also scolded me at the vet because he weighs 54 pounds and they say that's too much :(

54lbs is not too much. Can you see his waist when you are looking at him from the top? Is it defined? I get scolded every time I go to the vet and to my own doctor. Hahahaha runs in the family. Family of fluffs. Keep us posted on the licking!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Since it's happening after meals it could be heartburn. Try giving him Pepcid 1 hour before meals.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Since it's happening after meals it could be heartburn. Try giving him Pepcid 1 hour before meals.

holy cow.... i never thought of that!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.