CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I'll try the Pepcid, thank you [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] :) unfortunately I don't think it was his anal glands, the licking continues today :(

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I gave Monty Pepcid AC from a recommendation on here when he started air licking and it did the trick. :2thumbs: I did have his anal glands checked just in case but all was OK. He still does it occasionally but now mostly when I put something on his face!

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I gave Monty Pepcid AC from a recommendation on here when he started air licking and it did the trick. :2thumbs: I did have his anal glands checked just in case but all was OK. He still does it occasionally but now mostly when I put something on his face!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
I only gave it to him a couple of times. I went online and did a search for dosage and can't remember what it was offhand, sorry. I would look for you but about to walk out the door!

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Tried the tums tonight, no such luck :( will try Pepcid tomorrow

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
If the gastric acids have irritated his esophagus for some time the medicine may not help right away. You may need to give him medicine for some a few days before every meal before you see a diffrence.

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
So guys I'm sorry I know this is an older thread but I'm feeling a little frustrated. I've tried tums, Pepcid, switching foods (blue wildnerness duck, fromms beef frittata, lamb and lentil, pork and peas, zignature lamb, natures variety salmon) and nothing seems to stop the licking :( we are due for a vet visit and I'm thinking of asking for allergy testing. I would love to hear any of your suggestions before we go to the vet!! Thanks so much

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So guys I'm sorry I know this is an older thread but I'm feeling a little frustrated. I've tried tums, Pepcid, switching foods (blue wildnerness duck, fromms beef frittata, lamb and lentil, pork and peas, zignature lamb, natures variety salmon) and nothing seems to stop the licking :( we are due for a vet visit and I'm thinking of asking for allergy testing. I would love to hear any of your suggestions before we go to the vet!! Thanks so much

And you checked/cleaned tail and anal glands?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I clean his tail pocket twice a day with duoxo wipes, not sure what to be looking for/how to check his anal glands. I have had them expressed a couple of times in the past but they never seemed super concerned about it at the vet. At times he also licks the carpet and his paws, the paws not so much lately

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Lambeau licks air at times too, and i still can't figure out why... He doesn't have a tail and i did allergy testing to identify all his triggers but he mostly does it when ( at least i think) he is tired

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I feel like it is food related because he seems to do it after breakfast for a little bit and after dinner a little bit. Maybe I should try adding pumpkin? I worry because it's made his chin acne impossible to get rid of, I don't want him to feel uncomfortable. I'm worried about mega e or some other scary digestive problem

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
It is baffling. Monty does it a bit more now and the only thing I can point to is after I clean his nose rope (quite often) and occasionally after I put his eye drops in. Sometimes he doesn't do it for a couple of days or so, then it's several times a day for no reason. Pepcid no longer seems to make any difference. I can usually distract him and stop him but sometimes it takes a bit of doing. I think in Monty's case, it is to do with his face most of the time. I am scared it will become a compulsive habit.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I feel like it is food related because he seems to do it after breakfast for a little bit and after dinner a little bit. Maybe I should try adding pumpkin? I worry because it's made his chin acne impossible to get rid of, I don't want him to feel uncomfortable. I'm worried about mega e or some other scary digestive problem

May be time for allergy testing?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.