FionaSchmidt

Nov 14, 2015
Iowa
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Fiona
Our Fiona was fixed in January. Prior to getting fixed she has a severe case of fly biting right around/after her fist heat. The vet did some blood work and everything came back normal. He suggested that once we got her fixed it may work itself out. She's been perfect and back to normal for past month and few weeks. The past three days, right as we're getting ready for bed she starts biting and licking uncontrollably.
If anyone has experience in fly biting or some treatments that may help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

--UPDATE WITH VIDEO--

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Most of the "fly biting" that have been posted on here have been mild seizures… can you post a video of it? I will tag some members w/more experience… this is extremely normal for the breed, so I don't want you to panic.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Any chance its an itchy bottom or anal glands?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Lambeau sometimes does this as he is getting tired almost like he is trying to stay awake.... but as Cheryl mentioned I started wiping/cleaning his bum when he does it and it has stopped --- so check his tail pocket or have the vet check his anal glands.

video, if you can get one would be great, as Tracey asked.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
As mentioned, the first thing I would try is a butt cleaning. Have you had her anal glands expressed lately? If this isn't the answer, try getting one of those doggie pheramone plug-ins and see if that makes a difference.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
here is a video from about an hour ago

@<u><a href="http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/member.php?u=572" target="_blank">Libra926</a></u> what do you think?
@<u><a href="http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/member.php?u=572" target="_blank">Libra926</a></u>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
The fly biting is different than what I've seen. Does this go on all night long? Have you found anything that might distract from it. When you were describing it I was picturing the type of licking and biting that goes when they have an itchy tail.

The fly biting worries me. This is a video of my little man having a licking fit. It's not considered a seizure because we can distract him from it. The neurologist described it as a different type of neurological disorder. It takes place in the same part of the brain that affects people with Parkinsons.

OP
F

FionaSchmidt

Nov 14, 2015
Iowa
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Fiona
I can distract her for a few seconds or minutes then she's right back to it. It doesn't go on all night but it doesn't last just a few minutes either. She doesn't do it during the day, just around when we're settling down for the night.

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.