Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 18

Thread: Sores on Betty's Neck

  1. #1
    Wrinkle Wiper penguinspam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mandy
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Location
    Poole, UK
    Posts
    131
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Betty
    Likes (Received)
    187

    Default Sores on Betty's Neck

    When we first got Betty, she had a scab on her neck that was in a clump of fur, my husband thought he accidently brushed it out one night because the next morning there was an oozy red sore there. We put peroxide and antiseptic cream on it, it turned into a hard black crusty scab, which fell off after a few days leaving pink skin that is dry and healthy looking, just bald. Now my husband has discovered another spot, above the first one on her neck, this was red and oozy so we've done the peroxide and antiseptic cream again. She goes to the vet on Thursday so I will get it checked out then, but has anyone seen this before? Are these hotspots? She can't lick them and I haven't really seen her scratching her neck so not sure what's happening with our poor girl

    ETA: She doesn't mind the sores being touched when we are cleaning/applying cream.

    -img-20160223-wa0000-jpg
    ~Mom to Betty since 02/02/2016~
    Follow Betty the Bulldog on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/betty.the.bully/

  2. #2
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Petra's Avatar
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Location
    Naboomspruit, South Africa.
    Posts
    2,880
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)
    1384

    Default Re: Sores on Betty's Neck

    It does sound/look like hot spots... it's pretty common Always good to have a vet check it out though. If you don't already you could try to add coconut oil and/or greek yogurt to her food, sometimes it helps 2 tablespoons of each/day, but start off with less so she can get used to it.

    Hope her vet visit goes well <3
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.



  3. Likes penguinspam liked this post
  4. #3
    Wrinkle Wiper penguinspam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mandy
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Location
    Poole, UK
    Posts
    131
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Betty
    Likes (Received)
    187

    Default Re: Sores on Betty's Neck

    Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    It does sound/look like hot spots... it's pretty common Always good to have a vet check it out though. If you don't already you could try to add coconut oil and/or greek yogurt to her food, sometimes it helps 2 tablespoons of each/day, but start off with less so she can get used to it.

    Hope her vet visit goes well <3
    Thanks Petra! She's getting her second round of shots so will ask the vet to have a look at the sores. She gets coconut oil once in awhile, will try to start adding it to her food regularly.
    ~Mom to Betty since 02/02/2016~
    Follow Betty the Bulldog on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/betty.the.bully/

  5. #4
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,196
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11537

    Default Re: Sores on Betty's Neck

    yep --- hot spot. Just shave the area... keep it clean and dry. These are usually due to a weaken immune system which most times is a result of allergies
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  6. Likes penguinspam, Petra liked this post
  7. #5
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Petra's Avatar
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Location
    Naboomspruit, South Africa.
    Posts
    2,880
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)
    1384

    Default Re: Sores on Betty's Neck

    Quote Originally Posted by penguinspam View Post
    Thanks Petra! She's getting her second round of shots so will ask the vet to have a look at the sores. She gets coconut oil once in awhile, will try to start adding it to her food regularly.
    It takes a while for the coconut oil to have effect so if she's not reacting badly to it I'd suggest you try to give it daily. My bulldogs also get hot spots sometimes, it seems to be weather related for my boy, if it's very moist and warm he'll get in on his neck and once it developed into dermatitis so it's good that you treat it

    It can be food related also... I'm not familiar with foods in the UK, I'm sure someone else will come along that knows
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.



  8. Likes penguinspam liked this post
  9. #6
    Wrinkle Wiper penguinspam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mandy
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Location
    Poole, UK
    Posts
    131
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Betty
    Likes (Received)
    187

    Default Re: Sores on Betty's Neck

    Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    It takes a while for the coconut oil to have effect so if she's not reacting badly to it I'd suggest you try to give it daily. My bulldogs also get hot spots sometimes, it seems to be weather related for my boy, if it's very moist and warm he'll get in on his neck and once it developed into dermatitis so it's good that you treat it

    It can be food related also... I'm not familiar with foods in the UK, I'm sure someone else will come along that knows
    Her previous owner did tell us that she was on a really cheap dog food (owner was having financial difficulties), we do have her on a brand in the UK that is supposed to be a good quality dog food, Wainwright's Lamb and Rice, our vet was happy with the choice. I think I read on here that it can take up to a month to see benefits from a food change? We've had her 3 weeks as of today so not sure if we need to wait it out a bit more before changing up her food.
    ~Mom to Betty since 02/02/2016~
    Follow Betty the Bulldog on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/betty.the.bully/

  10. #7
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Petra's Avatar
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Location
    Naboomspruit, South Africa.
    Posts
    2,880
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)
    1384

    Default Re: Sores on Betty's Neck

    Quote Originally Posted by penguinspam View Post
    Her previous owner did tell us that she was on a really cheap dog food (owner was having financial difficulties), we do have her on a brand in the UK that is supposed to be a good quality dog food, Wainwright's Lamb and Rice, our vet was happy with the choice. I think I read on here that it can take up to a month to see benefits from a food change? We've had her 3 weeks as of today so not sure if we need to wait it out a bit more before changing up her food.
    Oh yes, definitely! It does take a while for the body to recover and build up a good immune system so she can very well be rid of the hot spots very soon
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.



  11. #8
    Wrinkle Wiper penguinspam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mandy
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Location
    Poole, UK
    Posts
    131
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Betty
    Likes (Received)
    187

    Default Re: Sores on Betty's Neck

    Also wondering if they can get hotspots from being too dirty? We take Betty on walks twice a day and which includes trip to a muddy dog park. We wipe her paws down when she gets home, but the mister gave her a bath today and the water was really dirty(it's been about 2 weeks since her last bath), should we be bathing her more often? I don't want to dry out her skin with too many baths, we do use oatmeal shampoo and rub her with coconut oil after she dries.
    ~Mom to Betty since 02/02/2016~
    Follow Betty the Bulldog on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/betty.the.bully/

  12. #9
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Petra's Avatar
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Location
    Naboomspruit, South Africa.
    Posts
    2,880
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)
    1384

    Default Re: Sores on Betty's Neck

    Quote Originally Posted by penguinspam View Post
    Also wondering if they can get hotspots from being too dirty? We take Betty on walks twice a day and which includes trip to a muddy dog park. We wipe her paws down when she gets home, but the mister gave her a bath today and the water was really dirty(it's been about 2 weeks since her last bath), should we be bathing her more often? I don't want to dry out her skin with too many baths, we do use oatmeal shampoo and rub her with coconut oil after she dries.
    I don't think so... I would rather think that to much baths would make it worse... but I really don't know. I bath mine very rarely, especially Boeboe and Bennie, I'd say they get baths between 2-4 times a year only. I do wipe them down with a damp cloth almost daily though. You have a good thing going on there with the oatmeal and coconut oil
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.



  13. #10
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,196
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11537

    Default Re: Sores on Betty's Neck

    Quote Originally Posted by penguinspam View Post
    Her previous owner did tell us that she was on a really cheap dog food (owner was having financial difficulties), we do have her on a brand in the UK that is supposed to be a good quality dog food, Wainwright's Lamb and Rice, our vet was happy with the choice. I think I read on here that it can take up to a month to see benefits from a food change? We've had her 3 weeks as of today so not sure if we need to wait it out a bit more before changing up her food.
    Wainwright's is good, but maybe look into their grain free line if you are going to change. hot spots really never heard of them being caused by dirt, but might be possible.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  14. Likes penguinspam liked this post
  15. #11
    Wrinkle Wiper penguinspam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mandy
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Location
    Poole, UK
    Posts
    131
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Betty
    Likes (Received)
    187

    Default Re: Sores on Betty's Neck

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Wainwright's is good, but maybe look into their grain free line if you are going to change. hot spots really never heard of them being caused by dirt, but might be possible.
    I didn't even realise they did a grainfree version, I think we might give that a go and see if it helps!

    I've found another weird patch on her Right above her tail, this is different than the hotspots, the skin is like scaly with a cluster of little bumps, very bizarre looking. Her fur lays right over it above her tail so you can't see it or notice it unless you push her fur in the opposite direction, just noticed my fingers caught on something rough when scratching her above her tail. So lots of things for the vet to look at on Thursday
    ~Mom to Betty since 02/02/2016~
    Follow Betty the Bulldog on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/betty.the.bully/

  16. #12
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,196
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11537

    Default Re: Sores on Betty's Neck

    Quote Originally Posted by penguinspam View Post
    I didn't even realise they did a grainfree version, I think we might give that a go and see if it helps!

    I've found another weird patch on her Right above her tail, this is different than the hotspots, the skin is like scaly with a cluster of little bumps, very bizarre looking. Her fur lays right over it above her tail so you can't see it or notice it unless you push her fur in the opposite direction, just noticed my fingers caught on something rough when scratching her above her tail. So lots of things for the vet to look at on Thursday
    Could be staph infection..... How old is she?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •