Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
George was neutered yesterday that all went very well thank goodness.
I was worried about his tail pocket and had asked to have it checked. It turns out he has a very deep tail pocket with an extremely tight corkscrew tail up in it and it was infected :(
The vet said he had difficulty getting it clean it was so deep and the tail was so tight so I don't know how I'm going to manage it when the infection clears up. He's on antibiotics for a week and I'm not to touch it till the infection is gone.
Anyone else have this problem?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Many members have issues w/infected tail pockets… we try to clean our pups out at least once a week, but sometimes you have to go the daily route or after each poop. I will tag some members to get their feedback… I normally just use witch hazel on a cotton pad, and put some Gold Bond powder in there if it's bad.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Happy to hear all went well with the neuter and your boy is home doing well.

As for the tail issue.... we had this problem with two of our babies.
First, Banks.... her tail was tight, but it was extra skin that would swell when her allergies kicked in or too much moisture was gathering.... daily cleaning was key for her (she lived to be 9 yrs old) - not a big deal at all.

Now with Lambeau, at our first vet appointment when he was a puppy, our vet said, 'his tail looks like it might be an issue later down the road. Well, at 11 months old what seemed to happen in one day... he got the worst infection, i thought it was his anal glands, we go to the vet --- tail pocket was in horrible condition. because the pocket was so deep we did not see the infection building (why it seemed to just show up) ... so we had to schedule a tail amputation. They cleaned it all out, best they could, gave him a shot and we ha a week of antibiotics to gt the infection gone and the tail was removed.

Here we are 4 months after amputation, he is one very happy boy!

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Happy to hear all went well with the neuter and your boy is home doing well.

As for the tail issue.... we had this problem with two of our babies.
First, Banks.... her tail was tight, but it was extra skin that would swell when her allergies kicked in or too much moisture was gathering.... daily cleaning was key for her (she lived to be 9 yrs old) - not a big deal at all.

Now with Lambeau, at our first vet appointment when he was a puppy, our vet said, 'his tail looks like it might be an issue later down the road. Well, at 11 months old what seemed to happen in one day... he got the worst infection, i thought it was his anal glands, we go to the vet --- tail pocket was in horrible condition. because the pocket was so deep we did not see the infection building (why it seemed to just show up) ... so we had to schedule a tail amputation. They cleaned it all out, best they could, gave him a shot and we ha a week of antibiotics to gt the infection gone and the tail was removed.

Here we are 4 months after amputation, he is one very happy boy!
Yes ive heard that amputation is a soloution but the vet didn't mention it as an option to us and there was so much information to take in with the aftercare from the neuter and we also had his eyes checked (thankfully they are grand not infected or sore according to the vet). I intend to have a better talk with him on Monday week when I go back to have the stitches out. He did say the tail was very tight and the tail pocket very deep so I'm thinking long term amputation may be the way to go.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
[MENTION=15045]Evilo[/MENTION], my bully Finn had a similar experience to Christine's Lambeau. Finn had frequent tail pocket infections (his tail was quite a corkscrew and difficult clean thoroughly). He had his tail partially amputated almost 3yrs ago, i think, and he's doing pretty well now. I'm glad to hear you'll be talking to your vet on Monday to discuss the treatment options. Please keep us posted!

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
[MENTION=15045]Evilo[/MENTION], my bully Finn had a similar experience to Christine's Lambeau. Finn had frequent tail pocket infections (his tail was quite a corkscrew and difficult clean thoroughly). He had his tail partially amputated almost 3yrs ago, i think, and he's doing pretty well now. I'm glad to hear you'll be talking to your vet on Monday to discuss the treatment options. Please keep us posted!

Thanks it's good to hear that they do well after amputation. I have a feeling (I could be wrong) our vet will be quite dismissive of me even mentioning the surgery as an option and I'm sure we will have to exhaust all other options before he would consider it but I will certainly put it to him anyway. I most certainly will not continue to have George pumped with antibiotics for the rest of his life if it means changing vets then so be it. I wouldn't consider another surgery for him though for at least 6 months I had 2 surgeries myself a couple of years ago 2 months apart and it was very difficult as I don't do well under anaesthetic and Bulldogs aren't the best either so I'd give him a break.
Thanks again you are all very supportive and helpful it's good to have people to talk to :)

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Many members have issues w/infected tail pockets… we try to clean our pups out at least once a week, but sometimes you have to go the daily route or after each poop. I will tag some members to get their feedback… I normally just use witch hazel on a cotton pad, and put some Gold Bond powder in there if it's bad.
I've been using the witch hazel for his eye folds so after he has recovered from the infection (vet said not to touch for a week it as it's very tender after the removal of the infected dirt) I will start using it on the tail pocket too. I will see if that gold bond powder is available here. Thank you.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I've been using the witch hazel for his eye folds so after he has recovered from the infection (vet said not to touch for a week it as it's very tender after the removal of the infected dirt) I will start using it on the tail pocket too. I will see if that gold bond powder is available here. Thank you.

I have read to get a ketchup dispenser for the powder so it doesn't get all over the place… good luck and let me know if it works for you!

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
I have read to get a ketchup dispenser for the powder so it doesn't get all over the place… good luck and let me know if it works for you!
I have looked up gold bond powder but there are so many variations I don't know which one to buy? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I have looked up gold bond powder but there are so many variations I don't know which one to buy? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

This is what I have powder_bottle_new.jpg

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Hi everyone, so we went back to the vet to get the stitches out all was well wound was healed well.
I asked about tail amputation should the infections continue and the vet just said to wait and see so I guess I will have to do that. They were not particularly concerned about his increased activity I guess that's my problem to cope with.
I have only today received my gold bond powder so I will get him cleaned out maybe later tonight (the vet advised to have someone hold him so I have to wait for my daughter to come home) and I will clean and powder him then.
That's the update, and thanks again for all the advice and help it means a lot.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Good to see he is healing up nicely and ready to play!

Good luck on the tail... Clean and Dry is the key

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I try to clean Nyala's tail pocket daily along with the ears. I use towelettes unscented. So far so good.

Glad to hear he's healing well. :)

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.