TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
So Friday afternoon my husband was walking Tyson - he said he was peeing by a bush, then suddenly jumped, sat on his behind and started scratching. He said he got right up but then started limping a bit on his front right paw. He checked to see if he had gotten into any ant piles, had something stuck, etc, but nothing to be seen.

Friday night his paw started to swell up a bit, the bottom pad more than anything... so we administered benadryl, and did some soaks. We've been soaking everyday, giving benadryl, and applying gold bond powder.... but its still swollen! Now its more of just one toe swollen & the bottom center pad. I'll try and get pics today when I get home. We've checked in 100% and see nothing stuck, no cuts, etc. There is one area in question that looks like it could have been a bite? But not sure, something happened for sure since he jumped.... but no clue :(

Anyway - may main question is this - how long before we should be in to see the vet? No other signs of anything, he seems fine and can walk, just has a slight limp...? Hubby keeps saying to give it a couple of days... I'm the worried mama, so need someone to rationalize for me.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
awww. Poor guy. he may have got stung. if it's not spreading anywhere else, I personally would call tomorrow if the swelling didn't go down. keep him hopped up on benadryl for now.
I hope he feels better!

Brutus got stung this past summer and we had to rush him to the vet because he broke out in hives everywhere and was swelling up, but if Tyson isn't doing all of that, i wouldn't worry too much!

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
awww. Poor guy. he may have got stung. if it's not spreading anywhere else, I personally would call tomorrow if the swelling didn't go down. keep him hopped up on benadryl for now.
I hope he feels better!

Brutus got stung this past summer and we had to rush him to the vet because he broke out in hives everywhere and was swelling up, but if Tyson isn't doing all of that, i wouldn't worry too much!

Thanks Jennie! Yeah, he's perfectly fine besides the swollen paw. He's been bitten by ants before, and by a wasp but it was gone in a day or so... since this has been a couple of days now... it tends to worry me.... but its because I'm the paranoid mama...lol

Danny keeps telling me to relax and give it a couple more days since he's not showing any other symptoms! I said to myself, "Let me go ask my peeps since they are just about as nuts as me, :w00t: LOL - but ok I feel better now giving it a day or two more. I did leave a message for our vet but she won't be in until tomorrow.

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Poor guy. May have been a small fire ant. Especially if it was a quick pull back response like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] If all else is fine, and no hives,no discharge I would just give the benedryl,and soak it in epsom salts(if he lets you). It sounds like something bit him. No hives is a good sign. Love that boy!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Sending love & hugs to y'all <3

If he's not in obvious pain & swelling isn't continuing & no hives,
I'd probably skip a Vet visit, especially since he was okay after
previous bites/stings and no allergic reaction.

You're doing the best treatment and he should be better in another
2 or 3 days. Relax, Mom ;)

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] If all else is fine, and no hives,no discharge I would just give the benedryl,and soak it in epsom salts(if he lets you). It sounds like something bit him. No hives is a good sign. Love that boy!

Thank you so much Lynn...! We're on day 3, how many more days do you think it could take for the swelling to go down? He loves when I soak it, he keeps handed me his paw - breaks my heart.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Sending love & hugs to y'all <3

If he's not in obvious pain & swelling isn't continuing & no hives,
I'd probably skip a Vet visit, especially since he was okay after
previous bites/stings and no allergic reaction.

You're doing the best treatment and he should be better in another
2 or 3 days. Relax, Mom ;)

Love you guys. Thanks, just needed someone other than my husband to tell me, lol hahaha don't tell him I said that! So adding the 2-3 days would make it a full week. Ekkkk, ok I can do this.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] Have you checked it out with a magnifying glass? (knowing you,you probably did) if not-you might see a tiny hole,or a sticker? How about a picture of his foot compared to the other one. If you squeeze on it,does it hurt him, or feel hot?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My pups have been stung before, and the only time I ran them in is when they would break out in hives… Bella was the WORST. I would just keep an eye on it, and keep the benadryl going…

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] Have you checked it out with a magnifying glass? (knowing you,you probably did) if not-you might see a tiny hole,or a sticker? How about a picture of his foot compared to the other one. If you squeeze on it,does it hurt him, or feel hot?

This pic is from Friday.
I've checked all, the area that looks like a prick/blood is all I can imagine. I tried squeezing & he pulled away so that bothered him. It doesn't feel hot that I could remember - I'll take another pic from top when I get home so you can see his toe.

37a2df96d7af54923892f84692eedfef.jpg

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
It does look pretty red,swollen and sore. Sure looks like something stung him. I'd give it two more days of soaking and benedryl(unless it feels hot). If not better,to the vet-that's what I'd do. (but I'd try putting NuStock on and rubbing it in-because I have it on hand....)
Poor [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] I even love his fat feet,I want to kiss them.(I don't like human feet..):no:

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
It does look pretty red,swollen and sore. Sure looks like something stung him. I'd give it two more days of soaking and benedryl(unless it feels hot). If not better,to the vet-that's what I'd do. (but I'd try putting NuStock on and rubbing it in-because I have it on hand....)
Poor @TyTysmom I even love his fat feet,I want to kiss them.(I don't like human feet..):no:

Sounds like a plan, this was day one.... so its a tad better now but still swollen. I'll post an updated pic tonight. Thanks for grounding me ;) I've been kissing his paw, and rubbing it, all weekend... because he'll find me wherever I am and come hand me his paw. My baby.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
You're doing good with your care. Keep the benadryl going for at least a couple more days. If you don't see obvious improvement after 5-6 days then there may be a foreign object in the paw...and a trip to the Vet might be best. Look for discharge at the "prick" site. I'm betting he'll be much better in 2 more days.
GL!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Sounds like a plan, this was day one.... so its a tad better now but still swollen. I'll post an updated pic tonight. Thanks for grounding me ;) I've been kissing his paw, and rubbing it, all weekend... because he'll find me wherever I am and come hand me his paw. My baby.

If your kisses don't heal it, what do you think the vet can do...I'm sure it will be fine in no time :yes:

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online