Morning mucus & losing hair on her tail :(

KellyTab

Dec 29, 2014
Country
UNited States
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny Lane
Hi! i have two questions for anyone having dealt with either of these issues.
My bulldog has always had mucus in the morning, especially when it's cold weather. But it seems worst this year. She gurgles and then tries to cough it up. But she's fine as soon as she wakes up and gets going. One vet recommended acid reflux medicine?
Also, completely unrelated, a few weeks ago, I noticed hair missing from the top of her tail. The vet gave her some antibiotics, but nothing changed. She's a bit fussy when I examine it. But seems fine otherwise. Eats, drinks, plays.
Any help would greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
A photo of her problem tail would be much help. Has she had her anal glands expressed lately? They could be causing her to rub. Or, it could be a hot spot.
As for the mucous, try squirting some lemon juice in her mouth(like from those plastic lemons) that helps break up the mucous. a photo would be very helpful! [MENTION=13427]KellyTab[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN

As Lynn mentioned, a squirt of lemon juice will help with the morning mucus ... and agree, be good to see a picture of the tail if yo can get one

OP
K

KellyTab

Dec 29, 2014
Country
UNited States
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny Lane
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] I'm sorry for the delay. I'm still trying to figure out how to work this thing. :) I've tried lemon juice, kinda helps. She just wakes me up every morning hacking away. She's completely fine after she wakes up and gets going. So it can't be too bad.
Mad for her tail, her glands haven't been done in a couple months. Maybe she is rubbing and I haven't seen it? But it's on the top of her tail, which is weird to me. Heck out the photo and let me know what you think.
Thanks!
image.jpeg

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=13427]KellyTab[/MENTION] She could need her anals cleaned,as she could be rubbing her tail under the coffee table,or something low like that, or she could be rolling on her back, and rubbing her tail. You could get some NuStock,and use it on the tail area,but my first guess would be anals.

OP
K

KellyTab

Dec 29, 2014
Country
UNited States
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny Lane
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] Thanks! She does always scratch her back upside down. :) So maybe that has something to do with it! I'll give my vet a call and see what's going on!

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online