12.5 yr old English Bulldog that just started panting

MB Dad

Feb 12, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bo
Hi. Our 12 1/2 year old English Bulldog has been with us for nearly three years. He just recently started panting almost constantly. It's been going on for almost four days. Prior to this, he only panted if he was stressed, nervous, or had just walked.

It's not hot here yet. He's inside all the time, has plenty of water, etc. We're just hanging all day and nothing about his routine has changed.

Any ideas what this could be?

Thank you!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hi. Our 12 1/2 year old English Bulldog has been with us for nearly three years. He just recently started panting almost constantly. It's been going on for almost four days. Prior to this, he only panted if he was stressed, nervous, or had just walked.

It's not hot here yet. He's inside all the time, has plenty of water, etc. We're just hanging all day and nothing about his routine has changed.

Any ideas what this could be?

Thank you!

Not to scare you, but if this just started out of now where, I would seek Vet care.... You just don't want to wait when it comes to breathing. Any other symptoms? Coughing? Stuffiness? Possible respiratory infection?

I know that as they get older, could be a sign of cognitive changes. With cognitive - you would also see pacing, uneasyness, confusion, they should be obvious signs of change.

Also, another possibility is pain from arthritis - are you treating him at all for his joints? Please keep us posted

OP
M

MB Dad

Feb 12, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bo
We've been treating him for a skin allergy for almost seven months. He developed skin sores (quarter sized patches where his hair fell out). The allergy is gone - we think. Meaning, the hair on the patches grew back, and he hasn't had any new spots for a few months now. But his hair has NEVER GROWN back where they shaved around the sores. So he looks like a patchwork quilt.

PWe've taken him back to the vet at least once a month every month since this started, but they are at a loss. He's been on Prednisone almost continuously, but doesn't appear to be working. So we're going to stop it when we finish this last round.

The panting has been going on for about four days, but he also started "gasping" for air when we put him in the car to go for a ride, (We own an SUV, and he's older, so he can't jump or climb in on his own.) and again in the middle of the night. The gasp - just one at a time - wakes him up every night at about 2:00 a.m. The first time it happened, I was asleep on the sofa about three feet from his bed, and it scared me half to death. The best way to describe it is it's like in a bad movie when the dying person takes their last big breath. This gasping has been going on for nearly month.

We took him to the vet again this past weekend - about the hair and the gasping. They checked his Thyroid, which is fine. And they Xray'd his throat, and said it was fine.

This is probably more than anyone wants to know about our boy. We know he's getting older, and may not live much longer, but we want to be sure that we're doing everything on our side to keep him healthy and happy as long as possible. We've gotten used to all of his quirks, but when a new thing or two pops up, we freak out. Our daughter literally says he's her best friend.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I agree with jessica. How about lungs and heart?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
We've been treating him for a skin allergy for almost seven months. He developed skin sores (quarter sized patches where his hair fell out). The allergy is gone - we think. Meaning, the hair on the patches grew back, and he hasn't had any new spots for a few months now. But his hair has NEVER GROWN back where they shaved around the sores. So he looks like a patchwork quilt.

PWe've taken him back to the vet at least once a month every month since this started, but they are at a loss. He's been on Prednisone almost continuously, but doesn't appear to be working. So we're going to stop it when we finish this last round.

The panting has been going on for about four days, but he also started "gasping" for air when we put him in the car to go for a ride, (We own an SUV, and he's older, so he can't jump or climb in on his own.) and again in the middle of the night. The gasp - just one at a time - wakes him up every night at about 2:00 a.m. The first time it happened, I was asleep on the sofa about three feet from his bed, and it scared me half to death. The best way to describe it is it's like in a bad movie when the dying person takes their last big breath. This gasping has been going on for nearly month.

We took him to the vet again this past weekend - about the hair and the gasping. They checked his Thyroid, which is fine. And they Xray'd his throat, and said it was fine.

This is probably more than anyone wants to know about our boy. We know he's getting older, and may not live much longer, but we want to be sure that we're doing everything on our side to keep him healthy and happy as long as possible. We've gotten used to all of his quirks, but when a new thing or two pops up, we freak out. Our daughter literally says he's her best friend.

I have a senior myself so let me tell you how much I can relate. The skin issue - are the patches kinda crusty/scaly, then fall off, leave a patch of missing hair and then eventually grow back? If so that sounds like a staph infection - which is most likely secondary to allergies. What are you feeding him? We went through this with Tyson - had to do a food change, and a complete 100% cleaning - washed all bedding, blankets, in hot hot cycle bc staph can be spread again if he's still continually in contact with it.

Have then x-rayed his legs/hips? Arthritis can be extremely painful and the pain can lead to panting. There are many things available - like anti inflammatory pills (Rimadyl), pain meds (Tramadol) that can all help tremendously. Additionally adding in a joint supplement (glucosamine & MSM)

Also, not to be forward but does your vet have experience with bulldogs? I would maybe be seeking another opinion at this point. While yes he's older but if something can be treated, of course you would do it. Likewise so would I, no matter the age.

You may also consider less activity.... no more rides, etc.... because those things work them up from excitement and could worsen the breathing. I would be seeking another opinion preferably from a bulldog experienced vet, and I would also have xrays done on his legs/hips to identify if he's in pain from arthritis. Also, a complete blood panel to make sure all organs are well. What area of the US are you located in? I could provide you with names of vets nearby that are "bulldog" experienced.

OP
M

MB Dad

Feb 12, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bo
Thanks for all of the info. The skin issue was just like you said. We've changed his food - about two weeks ago - to Hill's Prescription Diet for skin allergies. We asked about the bed, but the vet didn't seem to think it was a problem. To be clear, the patches haven't come back, but he has started scratching again. He stands under the coffee table, and nearly makes himself dizzy rubbing his back on the underside of the table. Or rubs along the stucco fence or side of the house when he goes outside.

Our vet has treated English Bulldogs before, but certainly doesn't specialize in them. We're in Phoenix.

Thanks again.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thanks for all of the info. The skin issue was just like you said. We've changed his food - about two weeks ago - to Hill's Prescription Diet for skin allergies. We asked about the bed, but the vet didn't seem to think it was a problem. To be clear, the patches haven't come back, but he has started scratching again. He stands under the coffee table, and nearly makes himself dizzy rubbing his back on the underside of the table. Or rubs along the stucco fence or side of the house when he goes outside.

Our vet has treated English Bulldogs before, but certainly doesn't specialize in them. We're in Phoenix.

Thanks again.

I know you just changed his food, but I'm going to suggest you change it again. Hill's is not a very good food. I would get him on something grain free, chicken free, potato free (The Honest Kitchen, Fromms, Nature Variety, Orijen, Acana, Earthborn, etc) - slowly transition him off the Hill's as the Hill's will likely make it worse. The staph infection is from something he's allergic too, and 98% chance its in the food. It will not go away until you find the cause. And it spreads randomly all over the body.
Can you wash the bed? If so, do so in a hot cycle.... or if not spray it down with a heavy Lysol and let air dry - along with any other blankets, etc. I would also give him a bath with a medicated shampoo to help kill any bacteria. Look for an anti-fungal one. Like Ketochlor. These are all suggestions the vet should have made to you, the meds will treat the areas yes, but if you don't get rid of the trigger, it will continue to happen.

I PM'ed you list of vets, and @bullmama is located in AZ, and can let you know who she uses for her babies. 2nd opinion on the breathing is needed for sure. And ask for the xrays and blood panel. We do those every 6 months with Tyson due to his age.

OP
M

MB Dad

Feb 12, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bo
Thanks for all the help!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hmmmm when Nyala goes outside which she loves to be all the time....she rub her back under these benches or like yours along the little fence or garage length wise.. I don't see any issues with her skin all nice and smooth. I rub her with coconut oil. It's like she likes to cool off. She doesn't do that whatsoever in the house only when she goes ouside to do her business. She eats orijen and treats grain free not even starches or any other ingredient. When she plays, eat, walks or anything else than peeing or pooping she doesn't do this. Only when she's in her business area end of the backyard.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Next time you are at the vet get them to check the lymph nodes , our Tilly had breathing issues due to them being swollen and putting pressure on her lungs and heart .

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I know you just changed his food, but I'm going to suggest you change it again. Hill's is not a very good food. I would get him on something grain free, chicken free, potato free (The Honest Kitchen, Fromms, Nature Variety, Orijen, Acana, Earthborn, etc) - slowly transition him off the Hill's as the Hill's will likely make it worse. The staph infection is from something he's allergic too, and 98% chance its in the food. It will not go away until you find the cause. And it spreads randomly all over the body.
Can you wash the bed? If so, do so in a hot cycle.... or if not spray it down with a heavy Lysol and let air dry - along with any other blankets, etc. I would also give him a bath with a medicated shampoo to help kill any bacteria. Look for an anti-fungal one. Like Ketochlor. These are all suggestions the vet should have made to you, the meds will treat the areas yes, but if you don't get rid of the trigger, it will continue to happen.

I PM'ed you list of vets, and @bullmama is located in AZ, and can let you know who she uses for her babies. 2nd opinion on the breathing is needed for sure. And ask for the xrays and blood panel. We do those every 6 months with Tyson due to his age.

Fantastic advice all through this thread, Jessica.... great information ll the way around. Agree that Hills needs to go and a second opinion may be needed.

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.