Help Needed! Walter… here we GO again!!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
It's been almost a month since Walter was seen for an infected anal gland, he is still taking Rilexine 600mg a day… he was throwing up at night and I thought it was the meds, but NOW I'm convinced that it's not the meds but maybe the snacks at night that I've been giving him. Since being on whole30 I was eating a LOT of berries, and I think that he is having a reaction to them. I'm going to keep track of what he gets and see if maybe he's allergic to berries… he had some banana's & a small amount of PB w/no reaction last night.

Anyhoo… he's BACK to the growling at his butt AGAIN!!! He almost always does this if he falls asleep… he wakes up growling, ears back and then jumps at his rear. Problem is that sometimes he's STILL in that mode when he wakes up… he snapped at Lily the other day because she was on the couch w/him and her arm was near his hind legs. She wouldn't tell me if he snapped at her face, but BOY did I jump all over him & sent him to my bedroom. My trainer told me to make him leave if he acts like that, and sometimes he will just do it on his own. He also jumped at Willow this week right next to me, and I made him leave.

I don't know if his anals are infected again or if it's time to dig a little deeper into this. The vet told me that if these meds don't work she wants to do a biopsy to see if he has perianal fistula, which she told me NOT to look up until we know for sure. I DID look it up and it's not good… I'm definitely getting worried, this should of been over by now :( I don't know if I should wait till his meds are done, or go ahead and call the vet.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh no- I'd give her a ring. Like you said it may be the berries, or also try a different antibiotic or medication....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
OH NO!
Poor Walter. I would go ahead and call the vet and see what she suggests.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I wouldnt wait..poor guy is definitely not himself. its scary when they snap at the kids. Its understandable youre worried but we always think the worst. Lets hope its something simple like the berries. Good luck..poor Walter!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Agree - I'd get in touch with the vet, and tell them the recent incidents... and see what they recommend. It kills me that they have no other way to express pain :( Poor baby. He's probably not even trying to be aggressive... just trying to say it hurts ...

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Thanks guys… she's off today, but I left a message. Ugh… I thought we had this solved :(

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Shame, poor Walter:(

Boeboe had the same problem basically at the same time as Walter... Boeboe finished her meds long ago and she's been doing good since... Vet said she healed up much better than she expected, BUT she still drags her butt sometimes:unsure: I'm not sure why cos she had her glands emptied less than two weeks ago when we were at the followup at the vet and she told me it's more than enough if she gets them emptied every two weeks.

Boeboe's got a little scab from the wound just next to her poop part... I think that might itch:unsure: maybe he's just still healing? For how long must he be on meds? Boeboe only got for 6 days, Rimadyl and Antibiotics.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] Glad you called the vet. In the meantime, you might want to add more fiber (suggest pumpkin) to his diet to help soften the stool so it might not hurt as much. Just a thought. I would also quit the berries.

I do not know if Walter will write this chapter in his infamous book "How To Make My Mommy Crazy" but he might call the chapter, When My Butt Is On Fire, I Snap, And Make My Mommy Crazy."

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I hope he feels better soon. Jewel and Bentley say to wish Walter good health soon and hope he feels better.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@ddnene Glad you called the vet. In the meantime, you might want to add more fiber (suggest pumpkin) to his diet to help soften the stool so it might not hurt as much. Just a thought. I would also quit the berries.

I do not know if Walter will write this chapter in his infamous book "How To Make My Mommy Crazy" but he might call the chapter, When My Butt Is On Fire, I Snap, And Make My Mommy Crazy."

Well the meds was giving him loose stools, so I added some metamucil and pumpkin to his diet… it's NEVER ending… Lol

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shame, poor Walter:(

Boeboe had the same problem basically at the same time as Walter... Boeboe finished her meds long ago and she's been doing good since... Vet said she healed up much better than she expected, BUT she still drags her butt sometimes:unsure: I'm not sure why cos she had her glands emptied less than two weeks ago when we were at the followup at the vet and she told me it's more than enough if she gets them emptied every two weeks.

Boeboe's got a little scab from the wound just next to her poop part... I think that might itch:unsure: maybe he's just still healing? For how long must he be on meds? Boeboe only got for 6 days, Rimadyl and Antibiotics.

She had initially put him on antibiotics, pain & anti-inflammatory meds that first week or so… when he went for his re-check she added the second anti-biotic to see if this would help. She didn't want to put him on a steroid until she was sure it was just an anal issue. I'm afraid that this may mean we know the answer…

Wally will barely let me do a quick swipe of the area, and to be honest I haven't really looked at it. Ray is gone so it's hard for me to hold him and check his butt especially if he's lashing out… I don't want Lily to get hurt :(

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww poor Walter and poor you, I agree you should let the vet assess what may be going on with his anal glands, maybe he has a sore or a cut in that area and it's itchy or sore, or maybe the berries are too acidic and are causing him problems? I hope the vet can figure it out, and he feels better soon.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Poor Walter.....I am so sorry you guys are having this on-going problem. I don't have any suggestions but am sending positive thoughts it gets figured out soon!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Tracey [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] I am praying for you and Wally, and hoping the berries are the cause. You have certainly been through enough. God be with you and Wally.:pray:

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Ja I understand it's hard if he doesn't like being checked back there:( Hope the vet can figure out what it is so he can feel better <3

📰 Latest posts

Members online