Help Needed! Walter… here we GO again!!!

OP
ddnene

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm taking Walter in today to see the vet… she still hasn't called me back :stinkeye: but he needs to have his anals checked/expressed again today if need be. I haven't been giving him berries, but last night I gave him a couple pieces of fresh watermelon and about an hour or so later he got sick. Not to be too graphic, but it was more mucous than any food… the weather has been changing here so drastically from cold to hot that I'm curious if it's allergies. Right now I feel awful allergy wise, so I don't really know what is going on.

I'll let you guys know when I get back… I'm seriously getting frustrated w/this :(

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
This really sounds more like heart burn and that is why the irritating food comes up. Veggies irritate his stomach and esophagus. Does he gag like the vomit comes from his stomach or is it just like spitting up on one go? If this happens too often his esophagus can come irritated so much there's blood in the vomit. Gastric acid is strong stuff and can cause the bleeding. I would cut down the fruits and veggies and give him some pepsid.

I'm taking Walter in today to see the vet… she still hasn't called me back :stinkeye: but he needs to have his anals checked/expressed again today if need be. I haven't been giving him berries, but last night I gave him a couple pieces of fresh watermelon and about an hour or so later he got sick. Not to be too graphic, but it was more mucous than any food… the weather has been changing here so drastically from cold to hot that I'm curious if it's allergies. Right now I feel awful allergy wise, so I don't really know what is going on.

I'll let you guys know when I get back… I'm seriously getting frustrated w/this :(

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
This really sounds more like heart burn and that is why the irritating food comes up. Veggies irritate his stomach and esophagus. Does he gag like the vomit comes from his stomach or is it just like spitting up on one go? If this happens too often his esophagus can come irritated so much there's blood in the vomit. Gastric acid is strong stuff and can cause the bleeding. I would cut down the fruits and veggies and give him some pepsid.

Honestly no he will get up from the couch, and next thing I know he has spit up… sometimes I don't even know it has happened, no gagging or anything like that. Most of the time it's just mucous not any food, or just a little bit… it's really weird.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
This is what happens with Voitto if I give him some fruit or veggies. At one point it got so bad that he started to spit up his food too and water. It was cured with smaller portions of food, no veggies or fruits and pepsid half hour before meals and before bed time.

Honestly no he will get up from the couch, and next thing I know he has spit up… sometimes I don't even know it has happened, no gagging or anything like that. Most of the time it's just mucous not any food, or just a little bit… it's really weird.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

Keep us posted. You may have to stick to his food only, and no treats at all for a bit until you figure out what's up.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

any update?

I am going through something similar with Cheli... started giving him Benedryl at night (Monday night) and it seems to have been helping.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] Hoping to hear some GOOD news today. :pray::pray::pray:

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
OK guys, just got back from the vets… and I have some REALLY good news!!!

Walter does NOT have Perianal Fistula, the vet believes he is STILL suffering from that one infected anal gland. She expressed it again, and now wants me to give him the anti-inflammatory Metacam. I'm supposed to keep track of the times that he has his little fits regarding his butt. Last time he was on an anti-inflammatory he had stopped that stuff, so I'm hopeful that this will work. The mucous could be the antibiotics or the weather, she wants me to keep track of that too… I'm going to give him some benadryl tonight to see if that helps any.

Worst case scenario he would need his anal glands removed, if this becomes an issue. I'm hoping that it won't end in surgery, but I just feel we dodged a bullet w/the Fistula. Thanks so much for all the thought and prayers… :drawheart:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Walter does NOT have Perianal Fistula, the vet believes he is STILL suffering from that one infected anal gland. She expressed it again, and now wants me to give him the anti-inflammatory Metacam. I'm supposed to keep track of the times that he has his little fits regarding his butt. Last time he was on an anti-inflammatory he had stopped that stuff, so I'm hopeful that this will work. The mucous could be the antibiotics or the weather, she wants me to keep track of that too… I'm going to give him some benadryl tonight to see if that helps any.

Worst case scenario he would need his anal glands removed, if this becomes an issue. I'm hoping that it won't end in surgery, but I just feel we dodged a bullet w/the Fistula. Thanks so much for all the thought and prayers… :drawheart:

YEAH!!! :whew:

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

This is wonderful news! I'm hoping this does the trick and he has no further issues! Was he okay with her expressing his glands, etc?

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
This is wonderful news! I'm hoping this does the trick and he has no further issues! Was he okay with her expressing his glands, etc?

WELL not really, she has to put a soft muzzle on him but at least this time he didn't head butt someone :whew: His gland was SO infected that first time, that was why it was bleeding.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Wonderful News about Walter, he is a strong guy, the Love and Care you give him Tracey makes him this way, he is Perfect. Love As Always to You Tracey, Walter and Willow.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] I am so overjoyed for you getting some good news for a change. So happy for you(and Wally) I had to express my Malanois glands every other month. These Bullies are the only ones I can't do by myself!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
WELL not really, she has to put a soft muzzle on him but at least this time he
didn't head butt someone :whew: His gland was SO infected that first time, that was why it was bleeding.

Oh...poor Walter ;(...but I'm so relieved it's not a fistula and will pray
this Metacam does the trick...wow...y'all have been thru a lot lately!
Sending everyone BIG HUGS of love.

Members online

No members online now.