helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Been reading a lot about EB. The more I read the more I see the same issues with bullies. A lot of articles like so:

Serious health problems.*Make no mistake about it, English Bulldogs are grossly deformed. It's been said that if you feel like supporting your vet with great chunks of money, get an English Bulldog. They suffer from hip problems, heart problems, and skin problems. Their compromised respiratory system makes it very risky to anesthetize them.Many Bulldogs can't even walk normally, or run without gasping for breath. Many of them struggle to breathe in hot or humid weather. In the summer they should be kept in air-conditioning and supervised during outside activity so they don't over-exert themselves and become overheated.
----------------------

Isnt there any healthy EB out there that has normal vet visitations? Im sure with a good genetic background and feeding the puppy right brings up an averaged healthy EB. Ok that was my 2 cents worth :)

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
I fit the healthy EB description. But I also think many of us (myself included) revert to the forum for little things for some good advice. Lockjaw got a small hotspot a few weeks back, and I got some great advice and got it cleared up very quickly without a vet visit.
Lockjaw and Penny are our first family dogs and first EB's, so I'll be the first to post a question or concern.
I think many of those articles are put out as awareness to people who haven't done their "research" to EB's and in turn that's why many end up in shelters and rescues. Many people don't know what it entails to own one. Getting and keeping a healthy one isn't hard to find. But someone who isn't educated can turn a very healthy EB into a horror story very quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
But someone who isn't educated can turn a very healthy EB into a horror story very quickly.
yup! lots of bulldog maintenance required. Prevention is key with good food, baby wipes, and keeping folds and ears clean. We have skin issues and food allergies. Lola also required some surgery for her elongated palate and nare widening when she turned 2. She's on a raw diet with every other day steroid/anti inflammatory for her itchies. ($7-10 per DAY in raw commercial food, $2.00 per pill - about $7/week). Plus everyday bulldog maintenance as mentioned above. Worth it in my opinion, i simply love her! But there is no slacking off.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Been reading a lot about EB. The more I read the more I see the same issues with bullies. A lot of articles like so:

Serious health problems.*Make no mistake about it, English Bulldogs are grossly deformed. It's been said that if you feel like supporting your vet with great chunks of money, get an English Bulldog. They suffer from hip problems, heart problems, and skin problems. Their compromised respiratory system makes it very risky to anesthetize them.Many Bulldogs can't even walk normally, or run without gasping for breath. Many of them struggle to breathe in hot or humid weather. In the summer they should be kept in air-conditioning and supervised during outside activity so they don't over-exert themselves and become overheated.
----------------------

Isnt there any healthy EB out there that has normal vet visitations? Im sure with a good genetic background and feeding the puppy right brings up an averaged healthy EB. Ok that was my 2 cents worth :)

Bulldogs CAN have a lot of issues, NO question about that… part of the reason WHY this forum exists.

First of all DO your homework regarding EBD'S… get your pups from a reputable breeder who is interested in bettering the breed, NOT a backyard breeder who's only interest in financial gain. Make sure you have money set aside for medical issues… some people rely on pet insurance, personally I keep funds aside for pet emergencies. Find a GOOD bulldog vet, I can NOT stress the importance of this… a good vet will make sure that your baby is in tip top shape.

Most of the comments that are made regarding EBD'S are general statements that can apply to ANY brac breed… boxers, pugs, etc… and IMO are mostly common sense. Brac dogs have issues w/anesthesia and hot weather… I don't believe ANY dog should be thrown in the backyard to "weather the storms".

Skin and allergy issues CAN be controlled by diet, and using home remedies… so MANY things I have learned on this forum.

I have owned 5 bulldogs, and I can honestly say that the only real issues I have dealt w/so far have been eye and skin issues (knock on wood… Lol). That is pretty mild compared to some of the problems that I see on this forum… but I DO honestly believe that there are EBD's that have zero issues w/just the normal yearly visit to the vets.

Bulldogs are not for your average pet owner, it takes a LOT of time and money to take proper care of them. BUT I will tell you this… I have never encountered another breed w/as much personality and charm as the EBD. They are a breed amongst themselves, and I think that once you own one you understand the LOVE that we have for these special dogs.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I think many of those articles are put out as awareness to people who haven't done their "research" to EB's and in turn that's why many end up in shelters and rescues. Many people don't know what it entails to own one. Getting and keeping a healthy one isn't hard to find. But someone who isn't educated can turn a very healthy EB into a horror story very quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed!

My banks was pretty healthy.... arthritis was her nemesis, which happens in all breeds. As for the heat and breathing, as Tracy mentioned -- this is the issue with any 'flat-faced' breed, heck even some double coat breeds. Bulldogs are high maintenance, which for most people is just too mush -- they want a dog/pet, but not the work that goes with caring for it.... some thing, it doesn't need all that 'fuss'.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

Certainly what is posted on the internet about Bulldogs does have a lot of truth. But, better breeders are breeding better puppies. The breeders from the past few decades did a horrible job of taking care of the breed. So while it is hard to find puppies that are healthy and conformationally correct, they do exist. Take your time and do research.

I have LOT of Bulldogs of all ages. NONE of them have or have had ANY of the "common" issues.
Spend your money wisely and get the BEST puppy you can.
Proper care and feeding are also necessary

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I got Tyson as a rescue at age 3, he was super healthy (besides allergies) all through age 8. All I ever did was take him in for his vaccines, and nothing else. Once he turned 8 is when things started happening, but again not due to the breed. So I guess it all depends.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Well I am extremely grateful for having found this forum. Ive see a few EB but this one is much more active and more informative. You're like all little walking dictionaries. You are all so right. It's like any dogs, you will find some other breeds with all sorts of issues.

Im not new to any dogs. Ive breed also Dobermans for years. My last one was Major 115 pounds German shepherd which I had to put down at 8yrs old extremely healthy and was still jumping 6 foot fence. But was extremely aggressive as older he was getting. Children became his new targets. GS are know for intestine issues. But if you feed them right throughout their lifetime time all will be fine for that department. He only ate origen and get his toast in the morning or when I cook my salmon he would get the skin each time and the natural oils.

Just have to be careful what you read on the net. So yes I dont see why EB cant have a normal healthy life. Owners just have to be on the ball with any pets. Just like children. Thank you my little walking dictionaries. :)

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
So im walking in the dog park earlier and what do I see????? Lady with 2 bullies! ! Yay for me.... I went up to her and first thing I said.... "im so glad to see you have 2 bullies. Who's your vet in this area?" She laughed and understood immediately. She said her vet specializes in Bullies and cheap too. Oooooh yay again. Anyway will go pay them a visit and ask questions.

mybrindlegirl

May 30, 2015
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Püppy
I totally agree with everything written above.
My English Bulldog girl is seven years old. She is totally healthy. She has no allergies and never had skin problems. No eye problems. She has no breathing problems - she breathes like any other dog, without any noise, etc. . We can go for walks for hours (but it is always my girl who decides speed/tempo). We don't go for such walks in summer at high noon - but I wouldn't do that with any dog. She is active, can move extremely fast, can jump very high - - but only if she wants and decides to do so. She can trot 1,7 km with little sniffing- and peeing-pauses - - but only if she knew we were going to the ice cream parlor (knowing she would get the little waffle on top of the ice cream being her motivation; now we live in another city - no ice cream parlor near us anymore).
She needed surgery one time which was in the last summer because of a broken tooth - an accident which could have happened to every dog regardless what breed or mixture.
I only have to look beside me - look at my little girl - to know that there are healthy English Bulldogs. And I know my little girl isn't the only one.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.