Garlic as a - flea medicine

Nov 26, 2014
Sanford, North Carolina, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bambam, Pebbles, Fergie, & Paislee
How much of a dose? What kind of Garlic tabs can I buy? I have 4 bullies and they range in age from 1-6 and have never had a problem with fleas up until a few months ago. We moved to a new house and I guess they have fleas in this area....as my mom lives a few houses down and they've always had a problem with fleas. We've always fed our babies a high quality kibble and they've always been pretty healthy, so I thought that helped to steer clear of fleas also- but apparently not. So your dog does ok with taking garlic and it works? Any help and info would be greatly appreciated. TIA~ Ashley

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN ..... I created a new thread for your question as the thread you posted on was very old and I did not want it to get lost.

I'm not sure on the garlic, but many here do use natural remedies for deterring fleas. In the meantime, kill what is on them now, you can give them a bath with regular dawn dish soap -- it kills fleas.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Fresh Garlic (from The Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats by Dr. Pitcairn)
10 to 15 pounds: .5 clove garlic will not keep fleas off, but supposedly they

20 to 40 pounds: 1 clove don't like the taste. If you are going to give it, I would

45 to 70 pounds: 2 cloves give it every other day,because too much can be toxic

75 to 90 pounds: 2.5 cloves and even cause anemia.Give Fresh garlic not powder.

100 pounds +: 3 cloves

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Lynn has you covered pretty well. I would use garlic sparingly if possible. An alternative natural solution would be to sprinkle food grade DE on to the dogs coat and rub it in. You can also steep 6 cut lemons for 2 hours, and then strain and add to a spray bottle that has lavender oil in it as well which helps to keep fleas at bay as well as keeping ticks and other critters off of them as well.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
There are two kinds of Diatomeceous Earth. As Todd mentioned, use the food grade on the dogs,and their beds(and carpets). I spread the other outside,around the base of the house, and on the areas where the dogs hang out. It takes the protective oils off the fleas shells,causing them to die. [MENTION=13262]Cannon N Ashley Outz[/MENTION]

OP
C
Nov 26, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I have used the food grade DE, but didn't seem to work. Or maybe it did and the eggs that were laid previously hatched. Idk. But now bc of baths and putting their skin through trials of natural stuff, their skin is so dry and flaky. So I just created a new thread about what to do about that. I hate FLEAS AND JUST WISH THEY WOULD ALL DIE AND LEAVE MY BABIES ALONE!! But, knock on wood, I haven't seen any in a couple weeks. I keep vacuuming, washing everything they lay and sleep on, and hopefully they are gone and won't be back. I think I am also going to try to spread the Nematodes in my yard. Has anyone heard of or tried Nematodes in their yard? Thanks everyone for your responses. It's greatly appreciated������❤️

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Plant Rosemary bushes in your garden and it should keep the fleas away

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Fresh Garlic (from The Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats by Dr. Pitcairn)
10 to 15 pounds: .5 clove garlic will not keep fleas off, but supposedly they

20 to 40 pounds: 1 clove don't like the taste. If you are going to give it, I would

45 to 70 pounds: 2 cloves give it every other day,because too much can be toxic

75 to 90 pounds: 2.5 cloves and even cause anemia.Give Fresh garlic not powder.

100 pounds +: 3 cloves

Hey there sweetie...you have some unfinished sentences. Better eat a Snickers bar...you know how you get when you don't. Or maybe put that special jar down...candy is dandy but liquor is quicker. :)

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I have used the food grade DE, but didn't seem to work. Or maybe it did and the eggs that were laid previously hatched. Idk. But now bc of baths and putting their skin through trials of natural stuff, their skin is so dry and flaky. So I just created a new thread about what to do about that. I hate FLEAS AND JUST WISH THEY WOULD ALL DIE AND LEAVE MY BABIES ALONE!! But, knock on wood, I haven't seen any in a couple weeks. I keep vacuuming, washing everything they lay and sleep on, and hopefully they are gone and won't be back. I think I am also going to try to spread the Nematodes in my yard. Has anyone heard of or tried Nematodes in their yard? Thanks everyone for your responses. It's greatly appreciated������❤️

Nematodes yes I have heard of them as well as Milky Spores. Nematodes is a remedy you can use that is a parasite to just about any bugs in your yard. It will also infect the good bugs as well except the fast moving ones. I believe an online outfit gardens alive sells them. I have thought on using this product myself.

OP
C
Nov 26, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Nematodes yes I have heard of them as well as Milky Spores. Nematodes is a remedy you can use that is a parasite to just about any bugs in your yard. It will also infect the good bugs as well except the fast moving ones. I believe an online outfit gardens alive sells them. I have thought on using this product myself.

Thanks. Didn't realize it got the good bugs too. We have major probs with June bugs and then major probs with Moles due to the June bugs so I originally was going to get the Nematodes and Milky Spore for that but since it/they will kill fleas and eggs both I think I will def try them both, as one of them I've read last up to 15-20 yrs. let me know if you try it also and how you like them or whichever you do:))

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks. Didn't realize it got the good bugs too. We have major probs with June bugs and then major probs with Moles due to the June bugs so I originally was going to get the Nematodes and Milky Spore for that but since it/they will kill fleas and eggs both I think I will def try them both, as one of them I've read last up to 15-20 yrs. let me know if you try it also and how you like them or whichever you do:))

I used the milky spore already in the back yard and yes it has cut down on the Japanese Beetles (June bugs) but I still have the neighbors residual bugs hitting my roses and other ornamentals in the yard. I place beetle traps in the back-backyard to lure them away from the roses. You can google nematodes and will find suppliers. I am going to give them a try this year as Jewel and Bentley spend a lot of time in the backyard when the weather is nice.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
There are voles...I call vegetarian moles which will eat the roots of your in-ground plants especially Hosta plants.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.