Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

Default Treatment for Hot Spots

Straight forward and simple. My Bulldog has Hot spots - 2-3 of them - 2 on the front legs and 1 on the back leg. they are round and crusty and dry. What is the treatment for these Hot Spots. My Vet has already determined they are hot spots, I just want to make sure I treat them accordingly with the right treatment.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Treatment for Hot Spots

Here is a great thread that explains how to treat them, and how to prevent more from coming… keep us posted on how Maximus is doing!
    English Bulldog News Forums - English Bulldog Allergies- Information, Treatment and Prevention

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member Maximus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

Maximus' Hot Spots are ROUND, and CRUSTY, and about the size of a Nickel. They are not moist, and they do not ooze anything.
    I just had to take him off of Hill's Science Diet Metabolic & Mobility diet because he began to look really horrible, and I put him back
    on his FROMM Weight Management and TASTE OF THE WILD Bison/Venison formula. He is on APOQUEL for his Allergies, and he is
    also on KETOCONAZOLE as an Anti-fungal. He was on Temaril-P, but that did little to control his itching and his Allergies. Hopefully
    with the change in diet he will begin to improve.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    Maximus' Hot Spots are ROUND, and CRUSTY, and about the size of a Nickel. They are not moist, and they do not ooze anything.
    I just had to take him off of Hill's Science Diet Metabolic & Mobility diet because he began to look really horrible, and I put him back
    on his FROMM Weight Management and TASTE OF THE WILD Bison/Venison formula. He is on APOQUEL for his Allergies, and he is
    also on KETOCONAZOLE as an Anti-fungal. He was on Temaril-P, but that did little to control his itching and his Allergies. Hopefully
    with the change in diet he will begin to improve.
    I know you mentioned you vet said they are hot spots, but hots spots are generally a little moist. If they are round & crusty - this sounds like allergy related, or staph. Tyson has had them in the past. They scab and fall off leaving a small area with no fur, but luckily its always grown back. Since you just switched his food, that will help tremendously. I would also wash all his beds, blankets, etc in a hot hot cycle to kill anything that may be lurking. I do this, and spray with Industrial Lysol when Tyson has a bad flare up.

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

5. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    I know you mentioned you vet said they are hot spots, but hots spots are generally a little moist. If they are round & crusty - this sounds like allergy related, or staph. Tyson has had them in the past. They scab and fall off leaving a small area with no fur, but luckily its always grown back. Since you just switched his food, that will help tremendously. I would also wash all his beds, blankets, etc in a hot hot cycle to kill anything that may be lurking. I do this, and spray with Industrial Lysol when Tyson has a bad flare up.
    Ttotally agree... sounds more like staph infection not hotspot
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    By many names depending on the situation?
    Likes (Received)

Hello,

I keep a spray bottle of 50/50 ACV & water with a squirt of antibacterial soap. I spray this on any cuts, nicks, scratches and hot spots of staph spots. For small simple issues, this works great. Now, this is NOT related to any food allergies. If you have NOT changed the dog food recently, this would not be related to the food. Yes, over time, some dogs can become sensitive to the same brand of dog food. You would notice a change in the poop first before anything pops out in the skin.

Large staph infections require more aggressive treatment including meds.
    B&B~ABEBD

"Opinions are FREE, Suggestions are TRUSTED, Advice is RESPECTED" bwl @2013

8. Likes TyTysmom, 2BullyMama liked this post

Remove Ads