Cleaning a Bulldog's Tail Pocket . . . .

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I clean Maximus' tail pocket weekly with Malacetic wipes - I run my finger around the inside of the tail pocket and wipe it clean - it appears he is very uncomfortable when I clean the tail pocket. Is this normal ? He twists and turns and ultimately runs away from me. I know the wipes are quite 'dirty' after cleaning the tail pocket. What is anyone else's experience with cleaning Tail Pockets ?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Absolutely… I don't think I have EVER owned a bully that liked having his/her tail pocket cleaned. I usually have to have someone help me hold them down, and I tend to do this as our LAST cleaning chore.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Monty was very good about it and we cleaned it after every poo. His was really deep though and we eventually had to have it corrected with surgery. Amazing difference. We clean it once a day now as things tend to stick to the hair on his tail! Treats work wonders by the way.....

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
I clean Maximus' tail pocket weekly with Malacetic wipes - I run my finger around the inside of the tail pocket and wipe it clean - it appears he is very uncomfortable when I clean the tail pocket. Is this normal ? He twists and turns and ultimately runs away from me. I know the wipes are quite 'dirty' after cleaning the tail pocket. What is anyone else's experience with cleaning Tail Pockets ?
Hi..I clean my bulldogs tail pocket alot.He loves it.I will tell him lay down and I'll clean your butt.lol He flops over,he even acts like it itches so I'll clean it.I use witch hazel without gold bond baby powder mixed in on a papertowel or cloth.Its very tight so I have to be careful because you can injure them or their tail can get sprained.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Totally normal.... Banks hated it and I sometimes had to left her hind legs in the air so she could not get away while I was doing it

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Well, I just know that Cleaning Maximus' tail pocket is an ugly disgusting job - and every time I do it, the tail pocket is filthy and dirty and disgusting, and he squirms and struggles to get away - so I don't know If I am hurting him or what, but to have someone
insert their finger and wipe all around your tail stub with a wipey has to be uncomfortable! I use Malacetic wipes, and they come out
just filthy and no matter how many times I clean that tail pocket, they are always filthy! What makes them filthy? What dirt or grime
or 'whatever' is in that tail pocket that makes it so unclean and disgusting ????? Can anyone answer that for me ??? I'm getting ready to use the Squirt bottle full of Witch hazel and wash the whole inside of that tail pocket with Witch Hazel to get it clean !!!

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
brutus is back and forth. some days he likes it, some times he doesn't. i usually lift his hind legs and put them on the bed and his front paws on the floor to clean it. He loves his bum powdered though. I also put gold bond on his tail after i'm done to soak up any moisture.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm getting ready to use the Squirt bottle full of Witch hazel and wash the whole inside of that tail pocket with Witch Hazel to get it clean !!!

GO FOR IT... withc hazel is a natural drying agent, won't hurt anything. all the dirt/grime is due to no air flow, everything gets trapped in there and it is a breeding ground for yeast and infection... dry and clean is Maximus' friend

Brian Karn

May 6, 2016
Diesel loves his pocket cleaned. It's kind of creepy how much he likes it actually. He hears the wet wipes come out and he gets excited and the front legs drop to the ground and he wags his little butt straight up in the air licking the air and purring when it's going down. He's a freak.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
[MENTION=701]Maximus[/MENTION]

Those wipes could be a bit too harsh. Is he scooting when you aren't watching, maybe in the dirt, to be getting it so filthy? I'd try the baby wipes for sensitive skin (no fragrance) and wipe daily until you don't have to, and save the other wipes for one time a week.
Also, how often do you bathe? Due to allergies, our guy is bathed with very good shampoo every 2-3 weeks and sometimes more often depending on how he's doing. I always wash out the tail when I bathe very well too with nice warm water and shampoo.

Also, what are your feeding? Are his stools possibly too soft and getting hung up in there? Are his anal glands ok? Do you use probiotics? Our guy gets his probiotics daily. Gentle Digest do a chew now and they're quite inexpensive. I put 3 on his food every night. No poo issues. :) And his pocket seems less dirty - I only have to clean if every few days and it's never that bad anymore.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Actually, my original post was incorrect, I do not use Malaceptic wipes - I use make-up rounds with Witch Hazel to clean his tail pocket. That is what was recommended to me by a few members from this forum. Yes, Maximus has allergies and is on APOQUEL,
KETOCONAZOLE and a number of other medications. He is on FROMM Weight Management formula kibble. Yes, he gets Probiotics
daily, Vitamins daily, as well as Omega-3 supplements and he is on COSEQUIN due to a recent ACL injury. So far, so good ......

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
Actually, my original post was incorrect, I do not use Malaceptic wipes - I use make-up rounds with Witch Hazel to clean his tail pocket. That is what was recommended to me by a few members from this forum. Yes, Maximus has allergies and is on APOQUEL,
KETOCONAZOLE and a number of other medications. He is on FROMM Weight Management formula kibble. Yes, he gets Probiotics
daily, Vitamins daily, as well as Omega-3 supplements and he is on COSEQUIN due to a recent ACL injury. So far, so good ......

OHH, how do you like the Apoquel?? AT one point my vet could get it again, but it was going to be more expensive than the Atopica he's on and that I know works. I didn't want to get him into something we may or may not be able to get regularly and also that costs more. (I thought that stuff was made to be cheaper for people to be able to afford?? I calculated $8 something a dose when I got the quote).

Sorry to hi-jack!

But you didn't say if he's scooting, has possibly loose stook or if he has any anal gland issues? I just can't figure out why he's getting so dirty back there. OH, I see you wipe weekly. Maybe can you wipe more often? I know when I wait a week, our guy's is def. dirty. I used to have to do it daily, Now it's every 2-3-4 days.

Think maybe you should wipe daily with something milder? I know witch hazel isn't crazy strong, but I don't think I'd personally want to use that every time I wiped and it could possibly be stinging him if the skin sensitive which I think would have to be, being probably damp and irritated from the poo etc sitting up in there. And I like wipes better because they shape to the pocket when I push them up there where rounds are firmer and don't seem to contour as well once up in there and the wipers protect my fingers better than the rounds. I used them for a while but prefer the wipes. I figure if ok for a baby bottom, they're fine for our dog's. :lmao:

How often do you bathe? I feel for you, as you are doing so much for your dog and still have this concerning you!

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Maximus has been on APOQUEL for a few years. It is VERY VERY VERY Expensive. It costs me $150.00 Per Month, and I can only get it from Maximus' Dermatologist, his regular Vet is unable to get it. It is very strictly limited and even the Dermatologist can only get so much each month from the drug manufacturer.

Maximus does not scoot. He has never scooted. Scooting (to me) is a sign that their Anal glands need expressed. My Pug does scoot and I have to take her to the Vet to have her Anal glands expressed.

LOL, I was using Wipes to clean his Tail Pocket ---- then I was told to use make up rounds. I was having a problem with the wipes Tearing when I used them to clean his Tail Pocket.

Maximus gets bathed 1x per Month only.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.