Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning a Bulldog's Tail Pocket . . . .

Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member Maximus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

Default Cleaning a Bulldog's Tail Pocket . . . .

I clean Maximus' tail pocket weekly with Malacetic wipes - I run my finger around the inside of the tail pocket and wipe it clean - it appears he is very uncomfortable when I clean the tail pocket. Is this normal ? He twists and turns and ultimately runs away from me. I know the wipes are quite 'dirty' after cleaning the tail pocket. What is anyone else's experience with cleaning Tail Pockets ?

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Cleaning a Bulldog's Tail Pocket . . . .

Absolutely… I don't think I have EVER owned a bully that liked having his/her tail pocket cleaned. I usually have to have someone help me hold them down, and I tend to do this as our LAST cleaning chore.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

3. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Harvey's Executive Assistant Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harvey Specter
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Fortunately, Harvey let's me and somehow enjoy the tail pocket exploration event.
    Hug your bully today

5. Likes 1Chumly liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)

Monty was very good about it and we cleaned it after every poo. His was really deep though and we eventually had to have it corrected with surgery. Amazing difference. We clean it once a day now as things tend to stick to the hair on his tail! Treats work wonders by the way.....
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

Bulldog Vet in Training Christie H's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    I clean Maximus' tail pocket weekly with Malacetic wipes - I run my finger around the inside of the tail pocket and wipe it clean - it appears he is very uncomfortable when I clean the tail pocket. Is this normal ? He twists and turns and ultimately runs away from me. I know the wipes are quite 'dirty' after cleaning the tail pocket. What is anyone else's experience with cleaning Tail Pockets ?
    Hi..I clean my bulldogs tail pocket alot.He loves it.I will tell him lay down and I'll clean your butt.lol He flops over,he even acts like it itches so I'll clean it.I use witch hazel without gold bond baby powder mixed in on a papertowel or cloth.Its very tight so I have to be careful because you can injure them or their tail can get sprained.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Totally normal.... Banks hated it and I sometimes had to left her hind legs in the air so she could not get away while I was doing it
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member Maximus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

Well, I just know that Cleaning Maximus' tail pocket is an ugly disgusting job - and every time I do it, the tail pocket is filthy and dirty and disgusting, and he squirms and struggles to get away - so I don't know If I am hurting him or what, but to have someone
    insert their finger and wipe all around your tail stub with a wipey has to be uncomfortable! I use Malacetic wipes, and they come out
    just filthy and no matter how many times I clean that tail pocket, they are always filthy! What makes them filthy? What dirt or grime
    or 'whatever' is in that tail pocket that makes it so unclean and disgusting ????? Can anyone answer that for me ??? I'm getting ready to use the Squirt bottle full of Witch hazel and wash the whole inside of that tail pocket with Witch Hazel to get it clean !!!

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruthie & Brutus
    Likes (Received)

brutus is back and forth. some days he likes it, some times he doesn't. i usually lift his hind legs and put them on the bed and his front paws on the floor to clean it. He loves his bum powdered though. I also put gold bond on his tail after i'm done to soak up any moisture.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I'm getting ready to use the Squirt bottle full of Witch hazel and wash the whole inside of that tail pocket with Witch Hazel to get it clean !!!
    GO FOR IT... withc hazel is a natural drying agent, won't hurt anything. all the dirt/grime is due to no air flow, everything gets trapped in there and it is a breeding ground for yeast and infection... dry and clean is Maximus' friend
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Diesel loves his pocket cleaned. It's kind of creepy how much he likes it actually. He hears the wet wipes come out and he gets excited and the front legs drop to the ground and he wags his little butt straight up in the air licking the air and purring when it's going down. He's a freak.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

13. Likes 2BullyMama, Texas Carol liked this post
    Harvey's Executive Assistant Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harvey Specter
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Harvey loves when his pockets are cleaned. He will put his butt close to me when I call him.
    Hug your bully today

15. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Pet Sitter
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
    Likes (Received)

@Maximus

Those wipes could be a bit too harsh. Is he scooting when you aren't watching, maybe in the dirt, to be getting it so filthy? I'd try the baby wipes for sensitive skin (no fragrance) and wipe daily until you don't have to, and save the other wipes for one time a week.
    Also, how often do you bathe? Due to allergies, our guy is bathed with very good shampoo every 2-3 weeks and sometimes more often depending on how he's doing. I always wash out the tail when I bathe very well too with nice warm water and shampoo.

Also, what are your feeding? Are his stools possibly too soft and getting hung up in there? Are his anal glands ok? Do you use probiotics? Our guy gets his probiotics daily. Gentle Digest do a chew now and they're quite inexpensive. I put 3 on his food every night. No poo issues. And his pocket seems less dirty - I only have to clean if every few days and it's never that bad anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads