Cleaning a Bulldog's Tail Pocket . . . .

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
Maximus has been on APOQUEL for a few years. It is VERY VERY VERY Expensive. It costs me $150.00 Per Month, and I can only get it from Maximus' Dermatologist, his regular Vet is unable to get it. It is very strictly limited and even the Dermatologist can only get so much each month from the drug manufacturer.

Maximus does not scoot. He has never scooted. Scooting (to me) is a sign that their Anal glands need expressed. My Pug does scoot and I have to take her to the Vet to have her Anal glands expressed.

LOL, I was using Wipes to clean his Tail Pocket ---- then I was told to use make up rounds. I was having a problem with the wipes Tearing when I used them to clean his Tail Pocket.

Maximus gets bathed 1x per Month only.
[MENTION=701]Maximus[/MENTION]

Yes the Atopica costs me about $110 a month (and from the cheapest vet pharmacy I can find online, otherwise it'd be tons more if I got from the vet) so I decided to just keep using it! My vet seemed disappointed I didn't want to switch but I just didn't want to hassle or expense at the time. But if it works for you and you can get it, that's awesome!!! I was scared to switch in case it didn't work for us.

That's great he doesn't scoot. Ours will occasionally and it lets me know I've been lax on the cleaning. Luckily his glands are always fine.

Wow, tearing wipes - he must have quite the tight pocket. What kind were you using? I find Huggies to be thick and I've never had a wipe tear on me! But pampers have been ok too. I worry too about cotton coming off the rounds too and getting stuck up there. I just shove the whole wipe in there and gently move around so it gets all the nooks and crannies. :) I have to use several each time. He doesn't love it but lets me. Every so often it gets irritated and I'll sprinkle some neo-predef powder in there.

It's funny about bathing - my vet at first was telling me I may be bathing too much, but when you read the (medicated) shampoo directions, they often say to bathe 2-3 times a week! So they are formulated to be gentle. I find our guys does best when he's bathed every 2 weeks, so get the pollen/allergens off of him, and I'm constantly being commended on how soft his fur is and what a nice coat he has. I'm currently using Dermabens, you can get it online!

Julie Kerr

May 9, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
I clean Maximus' tail pocket weekly with Malacetic wipes - I run my finger around the inside of the tail pocket and wipe it clean - it appears he is very uncomfortable when I clean the tail pocket. Is this normal ? He twists and turns and ultimately runs away from me. I know the wipes are quite 'dirty' after cleaning the tail pocket. What is anyone else's experience with cleaning Tail Pockets ?

Well, hmmm...my bulldog loves it! I use something the vet gave me mixed with alcohol and the powder....we have used it for years. Sorry but keep using whatever it takes to keep the area clean to avoid any problems. Hang in there.

Most Reactions