cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor has this growth under his chin (upper part of his chest). It looks like pictures I've found of histiocytomas (benign skin tumour) but I suppose we need to let a vet look at it. We noticed it two weeks ago and at first we thought it was a bite that we hadn't seen (Castor was bitten by another dog a month or so ago and after a while he developed an infection close to his ear so we took him to a vet for that). Castor isn't bothered by this growth and it doesn't bleed (although it actually did bleed a bit tonight).

Do you recognize this kind of growth? It's about 10-15 mm in diameter (half an inch or so). Not sure why he gets all these things now - eye problems a few months ago (that are stable right now), and then the infection after he got into a fight.
growth.jpg

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Can't really tell from the pic, but I would let a vet look at it.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It does kind of- but I think it's just a bacterial skin infection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION]
Thanks for your input! I think we'll keep an eye on it for a few more days and then take him to the vet if it doesn't recede.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Keep us posted.... looks like it has dried blood on it, does it?

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Keep us posted.... looks like it has dried blood on it, does it?

Yes, it does, in that picture! It is dark and sort of crusty. We've now realised we need to find out what it is so we've made an appointment with the vet already tomorrow night. This morning we saw too that Castor's ear is infected again too so he is not in top condition. But he isn't much bothered by these issues which I suppose is a good thing.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, it does, in that picture! It is dark and sort of crusty. We've now realised we need to find out what it is so we've made an appointment with the vet already tomorrow night. This morning we saw too that Castor's ear is infected again too so he is not in top condition. But he isn't much bothered by these issues which I suppose is a good thing.

do you still raw feed?

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
do you still raw feed?

No, we stopped as his tummy actually didn't do very well on it. The last half a year or so (perhaps more... time flies!) he's been on James Wellbeloved Lamb and Vegetables which has been very good for his tummy. No runny stools at all. Now James Wellbeloved has decided to discontinue sales abroad (it's a British company) so we need to find a new food soon.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
No, we stopped as his tummy actually didn't do very well on it. The last half a year or so (perhaps more... time flies!) he's been on James Wellbeloved Lamb and Vegetables which has been very good for his tummy. No runny stools at all. Now James Wellbeloved has decided to discontinue sales abroad (it's a British company) so we need to find a new food soon.

:facepalm: I thought that was the case, but wasn't positive.... I doubted myself :bitchslap: I think Lisa is probably right, bacterial infection so keep us posted. Is home cooking an option?

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
:facepalm: I thought that was the case, but wasn't positive.... I doubted myself :bitchslap: I think Lisa is probably right, bacterial infection so keep us posted. Is home cooking an option?

Thanks; will report back after visit to vet tomorrow! And yes, homecooking might be worth looking into.

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Update from Castor, who is having all sorts of problems. Just before we were to leave for the appointment at the animal hospital today, Castor managed to scratch the growth thingie and he had blood all over his chest. It is probably some kind of tumor and the vet suggested we wait to see how it heals the coming week and then decide whether to remove it. They shaved the area round the wound and actually put on a band-aid (which of course fell off after two minutes). The vet said that if we decide to have it removed we really should do his eye too (ingrowing eye lashes + entropion). We have been thinking his eye has been sort of ok the last months but she commented on it without us telling her that he has had issues and she said flat out that he's in pain.

And the poor little one's ears are badly infected so two kinds of drops for ten days. They are having his ear gunk tested and we'll know in a few days whether the antibiotocs she prescribed is the right one or if he needs something else. I liked that she was so thorough and I'm starting to believe that she was right in saying that there is some kind of allergy going on here. She suggested one of these hypoallergenic kibbles. Well, the food Castor is on now will soon be discontinued, so we must change anyway and although I've read many testimonials here that these kibbles are not any good, this vet was rather convincing when she said that many dogs with skin problems do well on them. Castor has these bald mini spots on his head, recurring infections in his ears and he on and off scratches himself and licks a lot. So right now we feel we need to follow her advice and then if I only knew what he is allergic to I could home cook for him.

Sorry, this turned into a long post...

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Poor Castor... Hope you get him healthy again soon. Keep in mind the prescription foods are good for the problems at hand and shirt term... But id it works for him and he does well.. Do what need to be done for him to be pain free and healthy

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Here's hoping everything goes well and Castor starts to feel better. Give him some hugs from me.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.