Entropion Surgery

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Hi everyone! So Barkley is now 3 and one of his eyes has always been a little bit squinty and watery but never seemed to bother him much. We take him to a great bulldog vet and he mentioned before that he had a very mild case of Entropion but didn't seem too concerned about it. Lately the eye seems to be squinting more on some days so I asked about it again when we took him for his annual checkup today.

The dr still said it was pretty mild and only a small part of his eyelid was causing the irritation. He said surgery wasn't absolutely necessary but it might be best since it does prob bother Barkley, even though he doesn't really show it. He told us we could bring him in a few weeks in the middle of the day right before he starts surgeries and he would be able to tack it up and have him in and out within a few hours. That made me feel a little better about it since it doesn't seem like it would be too big of a deal. I just hate him having another surgery :( But I also don't want it to continue irritating his eye and possibly causing issues later on in life.

For anyone else who has had this done, I'm just wondering what the recovery is like and anything else I should know or ask before having it done?? Thanks so much! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I tagged a couple members that have experience..... good luck and hope your boy heals up quickly

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Two of my dogs had entropion surgery on both their eyes. They had to wear the cone for two weeks, so they would not scratch or rub their eyes. After two weeks, they had the stitches taken out. All went fine. The worst part of it was the cone! [MENTION=8518]sunkissedpr1ncs[/MENTION]

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Two of my dogs had entropion surgery on both their eyes. They had to wear the cone for two weeks, so they would not scratch or rub their eyes. After two weeks, they had the stitches taken out. All went fine. The worst part of it was the cone! [MENTION=8518]sunkissedpr1ncs[/MENTION]

That's good to hear! Ahhh I didn't even think about him having to wear the cone haha I'm sure that part is not going to be fun! He's had 2 surgeries before, one was neuter/soft palate and the other was to remove bladder stones, but he didn't have to wear a cone for either of those since they aren't able to reach those areas very well ha. I'm sure this is a lot different tho since they can reach their eyes and rub them on things so easily. So glad to hear your babies are doing well afterward! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
Dually had entropian surgery 3 times, not because his eyes were that bad but because the vet did it the wrong way twice. The first two times she did laser surgery and Dually has way to many wrinkles for that. The third time I had a different vet do the surgery and have not had a problem since. He did have to wear the cone and I had to put ointment on his eyes daily but other than that it was fine.

Im mad at myself for letting the first vet do the surgery, it was against my better judgement but since I worked for the vet I gave in and had it done. Huge mistake!! That lady has never and will never touch my precious baby again!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Entropion is extremely common in this breed, and if you trust your vet I would have it done. The eyelashes will cause scarring in the eyes which can be extremely painful for the dog and cause eye issues later on...

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Dually had entropian surgery 3 times, not because his eyes were that bad but because the vet did it the wrong way twice. The first two times she did laser surgery and Dually has way to many wrinkles for that. The third time I had a different vet do the surgery and have not had a problem since. He did have to wear the cone and I had to put ointment on his eyes daily but other than that it was fine.

Im mad at myself for letting the first vet do the surgery, it was against my better judgement but since I worked for the vet I gave in and had it done. Huge mistake!! That lady has never and will never touch my precious baby again!!

Oh my gosh I can't imagine having it done 3 times, poor baby!! I'm glad you finally found someone to do it the right way. I'm so glad we have found a good vet who sees bullies all day every day! Even though their office is about 30-40 mins away, I know it's worth the drive!!

Entropion is extremely common in this breed, and if you trust your vet I would have it done. The eyelashes will cause scarring in the eyes which can be extremely painful for the dog and cause eye issues later on...

Yea I definitely don't want it to cause any issues with his eyes later on so think it is a good idea to get it done now and I'm sure it has to bother him, I know how annoying it is when I have an eyelash in my eye!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.