Growth on English Bulldog's face

Cosis

Feb 4, 2014
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bronson, Delilah
Hi,

My English Bulldog has a growth on his face. It seems to getting bigger. I wanted to see if anyone knows what it might be and any OTC medicines I can try? I wanted to get your opinion before taking him to the vet. I want to avoid putting him under because he is 10 years old.

!cid_036B05DC-4B2A-4E94-A80E-7F0BE923905B.jpg!cid_68DDCF0A-97BD-4AA6-84FE-AD6C92C91694.jpg!cid_2495E8CB-D009-4794-BA78-AF57E06354E8.jpg

Thanks,
Nick

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I don't know what this could be, there are many causes of growths from cysts, allergic reactions, infection, pus, or benign growths, which are common with older dogs. The only way to really say what it is is to have the vet look at it and diagnose what type of growth it is by doing an exam and maybe a biopsy. Is the bump hard or soft?, does it move or is it solid? I hope it isn't anything serious, sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.

OP
C

Cosis

Feb 4, 2014
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bronson, Delilah
Hi, I don't know what this could be, there are many causes of growths from cysts, allergic reactions, infection, pus, or benign growths, which are common with older dogs. The only way to really say what it is is to have the vet look at it and diagnose what type of growth it is by doing an exam and maybe a biopsy. Is the bump hard or soft?, does it move or is it solid? I hope it isn't anything serious, sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.

Hi - thanks for the reply. It is soft and appears to be full of puss/blood. It has leaked on occasion. He had a smaller one awhile back. The vet suggested we wait and see if it went away (which it did). This one appears to be sticking around.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi - thanks for the reply. It is soft and appears to be full of puss/blood. It has leaked on occasion. He had a smaller one awhile back. The vet suggested we wait and see if it went away (which it did). This one appears to be sticking around.

I would think that If its soft and pus filled, it's most likely a cyst or some kind of infection, especially since you mentioned that it sometimes leaks. You could try putting a warm compress on it, or a natural poultice then clean it with something anti bacterial and drying like witch hazel or hydrogen peroxide, and put some polysporin on it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Never seen something like this. [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION]

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Great suggestion from [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] if it doesn't help I'd get him to the vet. I'm thinking abcess since you said it leaks.

If you can get some betadyne diluted and put it on it when it's leaking it will allow the medicine to get inside. When it leaks is it clear? If it's tacky and has any color it's likely an abcess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Try my go-to of NuStock. You can apply that after the betadyne.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.