Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Hi All!!

I know this has probably been asked 100 times before. :w00t:

Ellie (14 Weeks old) has been battling Urine Crystals, doc has not said EXACTLY what kind she has, BUT that is on my LIST for the next check up Urinalysis, she also has DRY skin as we have Forced Hot air that is doing number on her skin, and she keeps biting at her paws, so something is bugging them too, I have heard that ACV is a good supplement to help with things...

Also she is on Orijen Puppy and getting STRICLY Bottled water as we have VERY high level of Alkaline in our water

SO - I was hoping to find out your experiences with the ACV :D

Thanks you for you time and help!!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hi All!!

I know this has probably been asked 100 times before. :w00t:

Ellie (14 Weeks old) has been battling Urine Crystals, doc has not said EXACTLY what kind she has, BUT that is on my LIST for the next check up Urinalysis, she also has DRY skin as we have Forced Hot air that is doing number on her skin, and she keeps biting at her paws, so something is bugging them too, I have heard that ACV is a good supplement to help with things...

Also she is on Orijen Puppy and getting STRICLY Bottled water as we have VERY high level of Alkaline in our water

SO - I was hoping to find out your experiences with the ACV :D

Thanks you for you time and help!!

We use ACV in Tyson's water every other day or so.... its proved great for his allergies, yeast, and belly :)

We only use this brand - untitled.png

OP
MFrey2012

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
We use ACV in Tyson's water every other day or so.... its proved great for his allergies, yeast, and belly :)

We only use this brand - View attachment 95410

Thank you!! - I Actually THIS brand in my Pantry!!

Called the Vet today, just to verify, and she has Struvite Crystals....

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, we use both Apple Cider Vinegar and a Cranberry Pill everyday with our guys. The ACV has many benefits for both people and dogs, it is a natural Anti Inflammatory, and a natural anti bacterial and anti fungal. It kills all the bad bacteria in the body so boosts the immune system, and it balances the Ph levels of the blood. The cranberry pill helps to prevent bladder infections. I add 2 Tbsp's of ACV to their drinking water or their kibble everyday, and I buy my cranberry pills over the counter from either the drugstore or the health Food Store. Most supplements that are safe for humans are also safe for pets, and are cheaper at the drugstore than from the vet. I break open one capsule and sprinkle the powder on their kibble. I also a add 2 Tbsp's of plain unsweetened yogurt to their morning kibble for the Probiotics, it is good for digestion and boosts the immune system. Don't add the yogurt and the vinegar to the same meal, as the vinegar will sour the yogurt. Add one to the morning meal, and one to the evening meal. I like using these supplements that are natural, because they help to prevent disease, and they don't have any side affects, and they are inexpensive. If you plan to add more than one or all of these supplements, it is best to add one at a time and for a week before adding the next one, that way you will if he tolerates it, and if he has an allergic reaction or is sensitive to one of them, you will know which one it is.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Benefits of Apple cider

Hi here is the article on the benefits of apple cider vinegar, these benefits are listed for dogs, but it also has the same benefits to people as well.
I add 2 Tbsp's to the drinking water, or you can put it directly on the evening kibble. I buy the Bragg's Organic brand from Nutrition House, it costs $9.99 for a bottle. Place it in the fridge once you open it.

If you want to take it for yourself, as a detoxifying drink in the morning, boil a mug of water, add 2 Tbsp's of apple cider vinegar, squish the juice of one whole lemon, and a little bit of honey. Drink it, it tastes good like warm lemonade. Apple cider is known around the world as Mother Natureā€™s miracle medicine, a powerful weapon in the war against aging and disease that is more effective than many high-priced prescription drugs. When God created this fruit He designed it be a food and Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is golden liquid concentrated with the healthy goodness of apples. It contains more than 30 important nutrients, 12 minerals, over 6 vitamins, essential acids and several enzymes. Moreover, it has a large dose of pectin for a healthy heart, and thus, healthy as a whole.

Many vitamins, minerals and other nutrients and substances are available in ACV to improve the health of your dog. ACV can provide them with enzymes and important minerals, such as potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulfur, chlorine, phosphorus, iron, silicon and other trace minerals. The vitamins contained in ACV are bioflavonoids (vitamin P), beta-carotene (precursor to vitamin A), vitamin C, E, B1, B2, and B6. Tannins from the crushed cell walls of fresh apples as well as malic acid, tartaric acid, propionic acid, acetic acid and pectin (fiber) .
ACV is cheap, easy to use and it really benefits our health in numerous ways. ACV can benefit both people and their pets. It is antibacterial and anti-fungal and gives the immune system a good boost. As a high potassium electrolyte balancer, it remineralizes the body and helps normalizethe bloodā€™s alkaline acid balance.ACV is the natural king of skin remedies. It is wonderful for itching and scratching pets as well as a superb skin and hair conditioner. Good old apple cider vinegar either straight or diluted 50/50 with water can be applied directly to the affected area and allowed to dry. It will kill bacteria on hot spots, eliminate dandruff, rejuvenate hair, skin and help sweeten and balance the pH levels in the body. When giving your dog a bath, shampoo, rinse, then apply ACV either straight or diluted, followed by rinsing with water. Notice, any residue shampoo will be washed out and you will feel and see an increased softness and sheen to the coat.

Apple cider vinegar is a powerful detoxifying and purifying agent. It breaks down fatty, mucous and phlegm deposits within the body. By breaking down these substances it improves the health and function of the vital organs, such as the kidneys, bladder and liver, by preventing excessively alkaline urine. Put a tablespoon of ACV in your dogā€™s drinking water every day and you will no longer have those brown spots in your lawn from the dogā€™s urine. This powerful potion also promotes digestion, assimilation and elimination, all the while neutralizing any toxic substances that enter the body. Cider vinegar has been found to neutralize any harmful bacteria that may be found in certain foods. While dogs and cats do not have to worry too much about the bacteria in raw meat, if You are in doubt, you can pour a little Apple Cider Cider vinegar can also be beneficial for symptoms such as tooth decay and splitting of your dogā€™s toenails, which can be symptoms of potassium deficiency. Potassium is essential for the replacement of worn-out tissues within the body. This mineral is also important to soft tissue repair, as calcium is to the bones and teeth which makes it a wonderful supplement for senior dogs.

Tests have proven that when potassium, in the form of cider vinegar is fed to livestock their appearance improves and their stamina increases.

Cider vinegar is thought to be beneficial in the treatment of arthritis, as a supplement added to your petā€™s daily water supply (or poured over the food) or with compresses soaked in hot vinegar applied directly to the joints. It is also thought to be helpful when used to treat allergies, osteoporosis, cancer, candida, high cholesterol, constipation, muscle cramps, colitis, diabetes, diarrhea, depression, dizziness, ear discharge, eczema, fatigue, kidney stones, kidney and bladder problems, metabolism, and stiff joints.

The supplementation of ACV has been known to naturally remove red tear stains from the inside out. It is also used by many to prevent fleas when used in a rinse for the dogā€™s coat.

Recently, Dr. Louis Ducarre of Geneva, Switzerland, author of the fairly new book,Natural Cures, Natural Life states that when mixed with honey, apple cider becomes potent enough to cure cancer, heart disease and other deadly ailments .

Natural apple cider vinegar is found in health food stores. It should be a rich amber color with the ā€œmotherā€ quite visible as sentiment on the bottom. The strength of vinegar is important. All varieties of vinegar contain about 4 to 7 percent acetic acid, with 5 percent being the most common amount. Acetic acid is what gives vinegar its tart and sour taste.

There is nothing beneficial about commercial distilled vinegars except for pickling, cleaning and disinfection ā€”they have no health value..

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Well done Vickingirl,

Nothing more to add. I LOVE ACV and use it several different ways. The benefits are amazing...

BullyMom26

Nov 8, 2016
Las Vegas, NV
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel,Bentley, and Gia
This is fantatsic information thank you for posting. My Bulldog has cancer and I drink apple cider vingear myself so I think this will be great Diesel. :)

SMSiegman

Jan 17, 2016
California Bay Area
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Red
How long does it take before you might notice results when trying ACV? My poor guy is so itchy and has been on 2 different antibiotics for yeast in eye folds. His eye waters constantly. The antibiotics have not helped. I have tried many of the different suggestions given on this sight with no luck.

Any help would be very much appreciated
Thank you
Sue

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How long does it take before you might notice results when trying ACV? My poor guy is so itchy and has been on 2 different antibiotics for yeast in eye folds. His eye waters constantly. The antibiotics have not helped. I have tried many of the different suggestions given on this sight with no luck.

Any help would be very much appreciated
Thank you
Sue

What are you currently feeding? be sure to avoid potatoes and other grains as well as limit sugars in the diet to help lessen yeast.

SMSiegman

Jan 17, 2016
California Bay Area
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Red
Hi
I feed Fromm pork and peas, he gets raw coconut. This was helping for quite awhile and now he seems to be worse than ever before.

I really don't want to try to change food again since it took so long to find this one. I recently tried the Fromm duck and he had bad gas

Thank you

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
ACV has sugar because it's made from apple. If your Baby is suffering from urine crystalls i suggest to stay away from it. There is nothing ACV can do that an ordinary vinegar can't, except that it has no added sugar.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
ACV has sugar because it's made from apple. If your Baby is suffering from urine crystalls i suggest to stay away from it. There is nothing ACV can do that an ordinary vinegar can't, except that it has no added sugar.
Not necessarily true.

Best quoted by bcMama (on hip forums) as I can't put it any betterā€¦"Distilled white vinegar sold in supermarkets are considered "dead" vinegars with none of the enzymes and other live factors that make raw, unpasteurized vinegars so valuable. Distilling removes the beneficial "mother" from the vinegar, thereby, destroying the powerful enzymes and life giving minerals such as potassium, phosphorus, natural organic sodium, magnesium, sulphur, iron copper, natural organic fluorine, silicon, trace minerals, pectin and other powerful nutrients. Also destroyed are natural malic and tartaric acids, which are important in fighting body toxins and inhibiting unfriendly bacteria growth."

As far as the sugar, as @1Chumly mentioned, recommended for diabeticsā€¦0.1g :yes:

I am in the process of writing up an article involving Struvite Crystals/Stones and ACV, but am awaiting an e-mail from a chemist (from Braggs). They have been very helpful in my research about this. ACV is not for every dog, just like our own bodies, we need to learn what is needed, lacking and what underlying issues cause medical intervene. Just recently it was brought to my attention about the Amino Content possibly being a contributing factor as well for a different kind of stone (Cystine). This was also addressed by the chemist at Braggs. Before starting any new regimen, speak to your vet. You can always test the urine PH yourself too, in the morning is best, 6.5-7.0 is the recommended PH level for a dog (this is just the "set" base, case by case may be different).

I have read about Distilled water also helping, if the bottled water is pricey, this may be another option to discuss w/your vet. Distilled water is less expensive at the store, or you can make it at home.

From Braggs
"Apple cider vinegar is chosen over white vinegar for many processes involving the elimination of fungus. Although they both have highly acidic properties; apple cider also contains detoxifying qualities that will clear up other skin allergies. No side effects have been found when treating the skin with apple cider vinegar, making it a cost effective and safe remedy..."

http://bragg.com/blog/index.php/all-natural-organic-whole-live-foods/is-apple-cider-vinegar-that-powerful-of-a-health-tonic-science-says-yes/
Difference Between White Vinegar and Apple Cider Vinegar | Difference Between

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I have started giving Chunky ACV again to see if his tear stains and red paws will clear up. I originally gave it to him when he had hotspots in early fall of this year after a neighbor said she uses it on her Westie and the bulldog they had before and what all it did for them. I just hope he doesn't get cystine stones again.

SMSiegman

Jan 17, 2016
California Bay Area
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Red
How long did it take before you noticed a difference with tear stains? My Red has bad tear stains and consistently ends up with yeast infections.

He eats Fromm Pork and peas along with raw coconut. I tried to give him the braggs apple cider on his food. He eats but really doesn't like it and sometimes coughs it back up. I just used a small cap full. Any recommendations would be appreciated
Thank you

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.