What are the health concerns of NOT spaying your bully?

Bella Cows Mama

Feb 4, 2011
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Cow
I am terrified of putting Bella under and her heat cycle isn't horrible. We use underware pulled tight around the waist with a cloth diaper pin and human pads :lol:. She doesn't act uncomfortable during it like some dogs do. It's not that messy and she does great with it. So, I don't mind adding a few more things to my chore list a couple times a year. I'm also not afraid of her getting pregnant (and don't intend on breading her) cause I am always with her if she is outside. But....what are the health concerns of not spaying and are they higher with bulldogs? I have heard of a uterin infection(name? starts with p?) but what are the odds? I'm so up in the air with what I want to do. I am mainly thinking of just putting it off for a year, because when she does get fixed there is talk of partially amputating her tail. I however, would like to wait and see if loosing some weight and becoming full grown might change the tail situation. Changing her food has already helped alot with her tail! Any oppinions or facts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

OP
Bella Cows Mama

Bella Cows Mama

Feb 4, 2011
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Cow
I should also add that as it stands right now, I am not completely confident in my vet and am having a hard time finding a reputable bully vet anywhere in the central/southern maine area or even the norther new hampshire area. So this is another reason I am so hesitant and would like to atleast put it off a little while longer.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
It is widely believed that spaying: "Risk of mammary gland tumors, ovarian and/or uterine cancer is reduced or eliminated, especially if done before the first heat cycle." As with anything there are always critics, I know the subject of spaying/neutering was brought up recently here and someone posted some health risks of spaying/neutering. Personally I am a big supporter of spaying/neutering and if you don't plan on breeding than I would have any dog or cat I owned spayed or neutered (I never plan to breed so that will be all of them).

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
There are a lot of risks and benefits, but all the risks @TessaAndSamson mentioned are correct. But after reading some more info about it, I'm waiting until Stig turns 2 to neuter him.

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
[MENTION=1815]Bella Cows Mama[/MENTION] We recently had our Shih Tzu spaded, after she was 4 years old... almost 5. During the procedure, they found a tumor and removed it... fortunately it wasn't cancer, but they said it was a precurser and could have turned into cancer. They also mentioned that at her age, being spaded would not decreased the chances of more tumors or cancer as it would have if we spaded her early. She also had an issue with fluid built up in her uterus, so we feel lucky that we caught all this now instead of waiting till the problems got really bad. All of this would have been prevented though if we have had her spaded while she was young.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I agree with all of the above .. the health risks of not having her spayed seem to increase. However, I do understand if you do not have confidence in your current vet than I too would be looking for a new one before I agreed to put Bella through surgery. Have you checked our list of recommended veterinarians on this website English Bulldog News Forums ~ For Information, Advice, Friendships and Fun - English Bulldog News Recommended English Bulldog Veterinarians ??

You can also go to www.thebca.org website and click on the link for Veterinarian List. Maybe you could find a good bully vet that way.

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
I totally know where you are coming from [MENTION=1815]Bella Cows Mama[/MENTION] I was the same as you with my Cassie. I was so afraid she wouldn't make it through surgery. We never had her fixed but everytime I went to the vet they kept telling me all the terrible things that could happen. We had her tested every year. She had mast cell tumors that took her. With the new baby we have to get her spayed by 6 mo. And I'm scared to death!

L

Lucy-licious

Lucy is due a checkup at our vets this next month and we will be having this discussion. I am very worried about surgery and have said before that reputable bulldog vets here will discourage surgery until after 1year unless absolutely necessary.
I had considered breeding but the thoughts of a possible C section delivery frightens me more than spaying her. For now I will wait for advise from my vet and follow his lead.

OP
Bella Cows Mama

Bella Cows Mama

Feb 4, 2011
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Cow
Thank-you everyone for the info. Basically right now I am trying to decide whether or not to do it next year or this year. Like I said before, I am hoping to avoid the tail amp. but won't know for sure just yet if we will be. I just don't want to end up putting her under 2 times. I have looked on the 2 sites mentioned above, but haven't really had any luck. I will look into the university thing though. Maybe I will have better luck with that.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
I would go ahead and have her spayed(after you find a vet that its trustworthy and you feel comfortable with). My Mocha almost died during her first heat cycle(which by the way came a bit early as I had already schedulle the appointment) .She had a bad uterine infection. Her uterus was so swollen!
She had a fever and it was a very bad time for my family. After IVs and strong antibiotics she began recovering. Few weeks after that we had her surgery. She did great !

OP
Bella Cows Mama

Bella Cows Mama

Feb 4, 2011
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Cow
@(LisaMarie) wow, that scares the :poo: out of me. Sorry you, your family, and pup had to go through that. Is she all better now or are there still health issues as a result of that?

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
@Bella Cows Mama We recently had our Shih Tzu spaded, after she was 4 years old... almost 5. During the procedure, they found a tumor and removed it... fortunately it wasn't cancer, but they said it was a precurser and could have turned into cancer. They also mentioned that at her age, being spaded would not decreased the chances of more tumors or cancer as it would have if we spaded her early. She also had an issue with fluid built up in her uterus, so we feel lucky that we caught all this now instead of waiting till the problems got really bad. All of this would have been prevented though if we have had her spaded while she was young.

That's interesting...When our collie/shepherd had almost died...due to prostrate issues. He was 7 yrs. old...he was then neutered. I'm of a belief to spay or neuter...if one does not plan on breeding. BUT...to wait until they are a bit older. In the Aussie World they feel it's best to allow growth plates to fully develop before spaying or neutering. They feel it lessens the chances for torn ACL's. They also feel that spaying after the first cycle is beneficial...But having almost lost our Butchie back then to prostrate issues. And having been told..."Had you only neutered him he may never had these issues" Was hard to swallow. So I'm a firm believer that the risks of seeing a dog almost die from prostrate. [He bled out and was vomiting and had loose stools. It was horrible! Took three days to get him stable...to just do surgery.]

Though the magic number...is 2 yrs. of age...to wait longer you do risk certain cancers is what I was told by our vet. So maybe they've learned more since when we dealt with Butchie's prostrate issues...

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online