Bee sting stinks :((

Alpha

Jul 30, 2010
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Bulldog(s) Names
RoCkie
Rocky got stung by a bee today...I didn't noticed until his face was starting to swell :((... At first I knew something wrong because he was running around in the room in a very funny way. My hubby was laughing because he thought he's playing around but we didn't figured out it was a bee stung until the signs came up. After half hour his eyes was barely open & his mouth was thick as a steak & body temp was kinda high. I immediately gave him a cold rinse. After drying him off, we took him in to the clinic. The vet told us we're lucky we brought him right away because his tongue was starting to swell too. I feel so bad looking at him, so uncomfortable :(. It was first time experience for us. He's starting to look & feel better now after the shots & antibiotics he got. Lesson learned, gotta be extra watchful when everytime walking him outside the house.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Also..a good item for your bulldog emergency kit are the benadryl tongue strips! Glad he is okay. Poor baby!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Omg how scary!!! Always keep some benedryl and give anytime you see swelling on your bully. This could save their life. Many don't make it to the vet in time.... :*(

You are very fortunate and I am sooooo happy he will be okay now!!!!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Poor thing! I'm glad he's better now! The first (and only) time this happened to Samson I freaked out when I saw his face swell up so much and I rushed him straight to the vet! It's scary!

OP
Alpha

Alpha

Jul 30, 2010
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Bulldog(s) Names
RoCkie
Thank you all ;)...yes, from now onwards I'm keeping benadryl wherever we go. I was freaking out while on the way to the clinic. I promised myself I'll be more observant on the surroundings he's exposed to. I cannot afford to let it happen again :(

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Also..a good item for your bulldog emergency kit are the benadryl tongue strips! Glad he is okay. Poor baby!

[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] They make Benadryl tongue strips????

We got the kids benadryl but it's bubble-gum flavor and when we tried to give it to maggie once it was a struggle to get her to have it. I guess she doesn't like bubble gum flavor!! :crazy:

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
How much benadryl should one use? I live in VT but spring will be coming soon and we do get lots of bees. Last year She did fine ,but i would want to keep some handing just in case.
Alpha I am so glad your bully is ok. :whew:

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION]
Yep. The quick dissolve strips will remove all problems when needing to give to your bully in an emergency situation.
Amazon.com: Benadryl Quick Dissolve Strips 10-Count (Pack of 3): Health & Personal Care

Here is a copy and paste from an article I found...
Dosage of Benadryl for Pets

There are 2 ways to determine the dose of Benadryl for a pet, and I’ll state both of them below:

1. Diphenhydramine is administered in the dosage of 1mg per 1 lb of the pet’s weight 3 times a day (every 8 hrs). Example: a 30lb dog is given 30mg of the medication 3 times a day.

2. Pets are divided into 3 weight categories; the medication is given 3 times a day, every 8 hrs:
- 30 lbs and smaller pets: 10 mg
- 30-50 pound dogs: 25 mg
- 50 lbs and larger dogs: 50 mg

As you see, the dosage depends on the pet’s weight, and the above are general recommendations. To find out how much Benadryl to give to your pet, you need to obtain professional advice from a veterinarian. Too small of a dose may not help, while exceeding the dose can be very dangerous. Also, the vet will help you determine the frequency of administration, such as every 4, 8, or 12 hrs. In addition, they will ask you questions to determine if it’s an allergic reaction or something else. If your financial situation doesn’t allow for a paid visit, you should be able to obtain free help by phone.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] Thanks ever so much ... VERY helpful!!

Momma2Bullet

Jan 15, 2011
NE Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullet {booboo}
so glad he is better! scary stuff indeed! :eek: when i got Bullet i put a few benedryl tabs in my purse incase we were away from the house and something came up. never thought about the quick disolve stuff.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Those pics on Facebook broke my heart - poor baby - so sad. Linus got stung once and had a similar reaction with the bumps though less swelling in the face. I am so glad Rocky is doing better now.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online